Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Curious if you've ever handled a R93 or R8 and second if you've ever learned how they work or shot one?

Suggest that you give them a try and then see if you still believe the negative crap that's out there or the thousands of satisfied owners. We've all seen the stuff from the early 2000 time frame. The stuff you posted was 2004.

Any time you're ever in Texas feel free to drop by and I'll let you shoot mine and maybe we could get a few minutes to visit Blaser USA so you could see the rest of the Blaser world... Can't guarantee you the visit because they are very busy there but we could try.

Also last time I looked Remington's safety was being accused of killing more people than all the Blasers in the world ever will - that is unless you count the tactical ones that are designed to kill 2 legged varmints. Of course the Swedes figured out that the Remington barrels don't work too well if they're obstructed, yet you don't see us saying that they're not a useable rifle. (BTW mine has a Timney trigger so I don't have to worry about the Remington safety!) I don't recall seeing a major news outlet do a story on the unsafe Blaser...

For those who don't know the Blaser or how it works here is a video that Corjack put together for the blaserbuds website:

http://globaloutdoorsman.com/media/40/How_a_Blaser_works/

Very well done and so simple a caveman could follow it... grin (apology to M16 for borrowing his line, just too good not to use again!)

GB1

S
S
Very well said. If I could only have 1 rifle it would be my R93.

All women work but it sure is nice to wake up next to one that is beautiful.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Actually, I saw a Blazer fail a few months ago at the range...The rifle fired as normal, but then the guy couldn't cycle the bolt to eject the case; the bolt would move back a fraction, but no more...

In the end, somebody else fed a cleaning rod into the barrel from the muzzle end, and gave it tap as the guy pulled back gently on the bolt handle.

That was enough to cause the bolt to slide back and eject the empty case as normal.

Apart from the case looking very sooty, it seem normal enough..I'm not sure what the root cause was (although a lot of theories were bandied about) but I was very unimpressed with the lack of extraction power as compared to a normal bolt action..

Last edited by Pete E; 12/01/10.
S
S
Hmm I had the same thing happen with my AR 15 - must be a rifle not worth owning.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
To my eye the lockup mechanism on an R93 does not look very strong or reliable. It's basically a collet that expands into a barrel extension as the bolt is shoved forward. It just doesn't do anything for me, I guess. Then there's the price thing. No thanks.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
IC B2

S
S
Kind of like a Lamborgini with those funny opening doors. Who would want to own one of those???

Last edited by SWfivehundred; 12/01/10.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I sure wouldn't look at it that way.
Butch

S
S
Wow people actually have different points of view! I'm shocked what a freaking concept...

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by SWfivehundred
Kind of like a Lamborgini with those funny opening doors. Who would want to own one of those???

WOW only 3 posts and you are trying to sound like Big Stick.....might want to re-think your approach !!!

Holy crap now you have four....you might be run from here in record time

Last edited by rockchuck828; 12/01/10.
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I am willing to be convinced, and yet it does depend on the exact nitriding process and it actually decrease corrosion resistance in stainless steel. I think SIG nitrides their barrels in some of their assault rifles. I am old fashioned and always believe in hard chrome. At any rate the type of nitriding process does matter.

http://resources.metapress.com/pdf-preview.axd?code=m367678534136550&size=largest
http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=113811

There have been fits and starts with nitriding however. Some folks seeing the potential have had very bad testing experiences. Specifically, nitride actually shearing out of bores during full auto test firing. But we have to look at the specifics of these tests. First is what was the substrate, or rather the material being nitrided. In most of the cases I've read or heard anecdotal stories about, the substrate was some form of stainless. Nitriding is not a good process for stainless especially in high wear high temp applications. Another issue with stainless and nitriding is that the process actually lowers it's corrosion resistance. Yes I said lowers! Counter intuitive I know. Ever seen a M&P slide get surface rust very easily (the M&P rust cause is my humble opinion by the way. I don't have any data to support that). The other thing I noticed in those failed tests was how deep the nitriding was being applied. Very thick applications make the metal very brittle.

IC B3

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I guess I cannot understand why a 7 pound nitrided blaser with questionable extraction power is better than a 5 pound Kimber stainless steel rifle with a mauser claw extractor at 1/3 the price? Am I too blue collar to understand? What am I missing?

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Anyone have any of those $1500 used Blaser R93's just taking up space in the safe....I'm buying.

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J

or it could be a very expensive AMC Pacer? Put more dollar signs on things and some folks think they are better...

the best part of this thread is that we have found that there are actually a few hunters out there there that actually like blaser rifles. I think the title "very few seem to favor the Blaser rifles" was more of a question and now we know that a "few" hunters do favor them.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by jimmyp

or it could be a very expensive AMC Pacer? Put more dollar signs on things and some folks think they are better...

the best part of this thread is that we have found that there are actually a few hunters out there there that actually like blaser rifles. I think the title "very few seem to favor the Blaser rifles" was more of a question and now we know that a "few" hunters do favor them.

And, at least one of them a dickhead.

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
if the new one was $1500 in 9.3 x 62 I would be interested, but not a $3500.00

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by VAnimrod

And, at least one of them a dickhead.

And that coming from the biggest dickhead on this site...

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Who the [bleep] are you, and who schit in your cornflakes this morning?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Speaking of Remingtons and Blasers, if they were both so good how come there are not used to a greater extent (if at all) by African Professional Hunters? (rhetorical question). jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
S
I had read this earlier on this thread and thought I would just interject some humor here - according to this I should fit into one of these catagorys. Sarcasm is free, I'm ususally pretty tame;)

we have a number of resident bullies, blowhards, troublemakers, trolls, and other Neanderthal hunting type azzholes here on this form driving their blue collar Remington rifles with McMillan lipstick (their is one particularly large obnoxious fellow here that likes brownings but we tolerate him as well), this place would be as boring as a retirement home for nuns without them. I like German optics, yet the straight pull German rifles whose only innovation is a switch barrel and a T-bolt type pull handle I just don�t know.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
if the new one was $1500 in 9.3 x 62 I would be interested, but not a $3500.00

Me too; but I'll settle for a used one.

You can put me in the blue-collar own a Blaser and like it list; so I guess I'm in the "few" bunch. Can a "few" still be a bunch?crowd?group?

Still trying to find all these problems everyone talks about; if I find one I'll let ya' know. I know my gun comes apart to travel into a very small case; and then goes back together with out adjusting anything; so that's a big part of why I own one. Frankly I never even bother to check it by test firing or checking zero; just go hunting.

Some good entertainment here on this thread. Did some reading on nitriding and its an interesting topic.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

207 members (300_savage, 1_deuce, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 26 invisible), 1,991 guests, and 1,056 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,202
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.