Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Before you divorce yourself from your harem of rifles, go see a counselor. There may still be hope for you. smile

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
If my hunting rifle was just a "tool" to use each fall, then yes one would be plenty.
But I enjoy shooting all year long and I shoot several different matches at the local club each month. So,more rifles are required.

I also like to see for myself the pros and cons of numerous hunting calibers.
That's why I like the Savage rifles, a new barrel and a set of dies and I have a new project to wring out.
Sometimes I just find a deal that I can't pass up!
All the "Ballistic Research" involved is hard work but I'll do my best!
I'm not a Wacko, just a little Loony.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The rifles become a hobby all their own.....but that doesn't mean you can't be rationale about it.....

3or 4 270's...a couple of 7 mags thrown in "just in case",a 243 or 250 AI "for those times you hunt girl deer or antelope",a 300 and 338 because the other stuff is too small for elk

....and of course a 257 Bee AND a 264 because they are ...soo ..........different ya know.

A 223AI because you need nothing bigger for deer,and a 416 something in case of Africa.

Don't forget the 30/06 which will gather dust in the back of the safe,because everyone has to have one...

And a 7/08 AND a 280AI just to piss the 270 guys off......I don't understand what's so irrational about any of this stuff.... blush

Last edited by BobinNH; 12/01/10.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
There is no doubt that a good 270 or a 30-06 class rifle would do fine for any of us in N America, and I have had the same thought over the years. However it has recently dawned in me that thinking about rifles etc have carried me along thru many moments of worry and frustration at work etc. thru my life. So as an escape they have been very useful for me and really I doubt I have ever really lost much $$ trading around in rifles. I have thought well maybe I should have spent some of that $$ on hunting trip out west but the reality is with only a couple of weeks of vacation each year I would rather have spent them with my family so that would have never worked. Maybe when I retire I'll start trading off my guns and start financing a few trips here and there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
bob you about nailed me right on the head with those listed caliber's, but missed a few more !

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thinning my herd. Selling them is like pulling my own teeth. Their are a few that will be handed down to the kids. I'm gonna have a few more low dollar customs put together for Whitetail/Elk/Muley/Antelope/Black Bear, etc.

Redneck is almost finished with my semi-custom .308 win..... I have a custom 7 Rem Mag and 30-06. I've got most of the parts for a light wt .270 win, and a sporter wt 338 win mag and I'm done. I'll keep a back up rifle in a few calibers that will shoot the same load accurately. My .222 Rem will also stay with me til they pitch dirt over me.

That will put me at about 10 rifles for keepers. Several of them I hate to see go, but I'll be happy with my new builds. If I get unhappy I'll re-bbl to something else.

I could keep two .270's and be fully satisfied, but I'm not ready to do that yet.

..........That would kinda be like chopping off one nut..........

Life is good whistle

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg
I'm 25, and started hunting N.Am big game about 5 years ago. Found a used older (1970's model) wood stocked Rem 700 in 270. Topped it with a 3-9x40 Leupold and hit the field. Brought home a lot of meat with that rifle. Since then is sits in a LSS Moutain laminante stock with a updated scope, but its still the same ol rifle.

I find this sight, and its like a kid in a a candy store. Swirlys, light weight, custom, flutes, triggers. It all looked so pretty! So I went out and bought more rifles, had them "customized" in things like "GAP Camo" McMillans and Jewell triggers.

Maybe its taken me these 5 years to realize it, but had I never dropped another dime on a rifle, and still only had that wood stocked 270, I still would have brought home as many animals, and maybe more. Wouldn't have spent so much time thinking about calibers and color choices. Instead - more time in the field practicing, glassing, and hunting.

Am I the only one who has come to this conclusion? Is this a passing fad? Part of me wants to sell all my rifles except that one 270, use the money to buy some good glass, go forth, and hunt.

The better question here may be: Does rifle lunacy wear off with age??? Is this something we all have to look forward to frown.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lodgepole
I've had exactly that same thought many times. I'm 51 and have been a rifle nut since my teens. I've seen lots of nice rifles that I "just had to have" come and go and now I'm down to a modest stable of 6 big game rifles that cover the spectrum for what I do.

The idea of selling everything and getting one very fine 30/06 for everything I hunt in N. America is very appealing to me, I must admit. It worked just fine for my Dad and Grand Dad.

My dad figured it out in 1955 and I finally realized that his rifle, which is now mine, will just flat "get er done".

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Had the same debate lately. I actually only think that I have too many big game gunss. Tags out west are so scare anymore, that I don't have the opportuniy to hunt with most of my guns. They only get range time, but that doesn't scratch the itch. I currently have a 243, 6.5x55, 280AI, 300 Sav, and a 338 Win. I came to the realization this year, that keeping just the 243 and 338 would cover anything I ever get to hunt anymore.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
This thread just opened a whole new can of worms for me. S#!T!

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by doubletap
Before you divorce yourself from your harem of rifles, go see a counselor. There may still be hope for you. smile

Maybe he has been seeing a counsler: Who else would be puting these wicked thoughts into his head!!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Actually, everyone should have at least two comparable rifles. Just in case you fall on one etc during a hunt, you have a backup. It has happened to me before...

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I don't. I would prefer 3. A .223, 30-06 and a 338.
I only have a couple of rifles I use much, an '06 and a .338.

I like using the other one as a backup depending on what I feel like carrying.

I have other rifles I fool with but don't spend a bunch on them. In my case I always wanted certain rifles when I was a kid and I bought some just to play with. They are mostly Mausers FWIW. The 250-3000, .243, 35 Whelen and .308 Norma come to mind.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg
I'm 25, and started hunting N.Am big game about 5 years ago. Found a used older (1970's model) wood stocked Rem 700 in 270. Topped it with a 3-9x40 Leupold and hit the field. Brought home a lot of meat with that rifle. Since then is sits in a LSS Moutain laminante stock with a updated scope, but its still the same ol rifle.

I find this sight, and its like a kid in a a candy store. Swirlys, light weight, custom, flutes, triggers. It all looked so pretty! So I went out and bought more rifles, had them "customized" in things like "GAP Camo" McMillans and Jewell triggers.

Maybe its taken me these 5 years to realize it, but had I never dropped another dime on a rifle, and still only had that wood stocked 270, I still would have brought home as many animals, and maybe more. Wouldn't have spent so much time thinking about calibers and color choices. Instead - more time in the field practicing, glassing, and hunting.

Am I the only one who has come to this conclusion? Is this a passing fad? Part of me wants to sell all my rifles except that one 270, use the money to buy some good glass, go forth, and hunt.

Sicko

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For several years I've been considering a .223, a .30-06, and a .375H&H. Along with my 870 pump and my Remington .22, I'd be good for anything.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
OA,
Do what you already typed and don't read anything else here! It will screw you up and make you a candidate for loonyism. Quit while you are ahead!

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sure, incourage the boys lunacy! It's like...like..driving everywhere in one gear or something!

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K

I am 42 and have 26 right now. I am sure that that is far behind many. That means I have to work on getting at least two per year till I get caught up. I really believe that you shouldn't sell a gun either trade up or give them to somebody who would really appreciate them.

I am slowing down a bit but I still need to get busy on mausers.
I only have three.

Sincerely,
Thomas

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Its funny because I am a click over 40 and have been thinking the same thing. This year I had 5 rifles ready to go, a 243, 270, 7mm-08, 30-30 and 338-06, every day I hunted it was with the 7mm-08. I agree you always need a backup and that would be my 30-30, a rifle I will always keep for sentimental reasons. I actually laid out all the guns today and began thinking about selling many off to keep one or two or build a one gun type rifle for the vast majority of my hunting..but here is the problem, i've been a looney since I was 12 yrs old and enjoy shooting rifles too much, problem is I don't get the time anymore with two young boys involved in sports year round.

I have friends that are loonies like me and friends who have a 270, 308 or 30-06 as their only rifle but kill deer every year.

What's the right answer, I dont know, everyone has to choose for themselves

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by splattermatic

i do have a favorite or 2, but the others are for that special situation.

aliens or space crafts, etc...

Whoa, who'd thought this thread would lead to MORE rifles for me?

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 1911a1, 10gaugemag, 79 invisible), 14,716 guests, and 1,034 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,072
Posts18,541,338
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
07:15 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.