Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I'm planning (LOL) to buy a spotter, and a HR in the next year.
I'd like to have the equipment that will be use-able for both my normal range shooting, and the AR for my coyote hunting.

I think Kowa is the way to go for Glass, and I think a flat top A3 (with the new rules) that has a detachable handle, is the way to go for the AR.

Am I reading this correctly? And for those of you who do shoot HP any tips would be appreciated.

Spot

GB1

TBS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
An A3 or A4 is fine for high power. At 600 yard you may need to adjust your front sight for added elevation. When I started high power 6 years ago I had a stock Colt 6700 and had to shoot under match rifle because of the carry handle. I made Master Class with that rifle and last year picked up a Rock River A4 with float tube NM upper.

I recommend you get a rifle with float tube, .050 front sight blade, .040 peep, 1/4 minute clicks and a 1 in 8 or a 1 in 7 twist barrel.

The 60mm Kowas are fine as are some other brands. You want a good heavy stand for your scope so it doesn't wobble in the breeze.

A good shooting coat is essential---------- I like the creedmoor leather armed cordura lite heavy model with hard back.

Last on not least is to practice, practice, practice all your positions. Remember one thing, High Power is about improving ones self more than it is about equipment. You don't need all best stuff to be competitive, but you need the willingness to put in the time practicing.

good luck!

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
TBS,

I think RR's are tighter than Bushys, and I do want a faster twist.

But can you use a float tube in HP?

Thanks for the info.
Spot

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Spotshooter,
You can use a float tube. I would advise the leather shooting coat made by creedmoor. It really helped my scores. If you are looking for a good upper reciever I would check out compass lake engineering on the internet. I would get one upper for coyote hunting with a scope mounted, and another one dedicated for HP shooting. You will probably want different twist rate for the varmint gun. The rules are constantly changing it seems.
GWN

Use Enough Gun!
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
GWN,
A friend of mine has a Bushy target model he doesn't use, I was thinking of getting it from him, but the primary use I want it for would be fore coyote. He even told me that It may be cheaper for me to get a flat top and go the other way if I really neeeded to.

I personally don't know that much about AR uppers and what it takes to change out barrels. When I was on shooters.com I did a good amount of reading there, and some over at AR15.com. It seems that AR choice has alot of personal bias.

I didn't think the vest was that important, I need to learn some more. I think I'll wonder out to the range the next time they have a HP AR shoot and see what I can learn.

I agree on a fast spin 1:7-8, but for a hunting rifle what should I use? I think the faster spin would be fine?

Thanks
Spot

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
spotshooter,
AR-15's are a strange gun. Years ago people would laugh at you if you shot one in competiton. Now with the 1-8 twist barrels and 69 gr bullets for 200, and 300 hundred yards, and the 75-80 gr bullets at 600 yds they are tough to beat.
The whole upper receiver comes off with just two push pins. So you could have a lower receiver with a nice adjustable trigger and use it with several different upper receivers. You can see lots of guys shooting space guns which are very accurate but must be shot in the match rifle category, hence they are not legal as service rifles.
The fast twist barrels will spin the bullets so fast that varmint bullets will come apart iin the air from the rotational speed. Choose your bullets carefully! You might want to pick up a copy of Black Magic by John Feamster. It is the best book I have read about competition shooting with the Mouse Gun.
You can download a catalog from the Bushmaster website which could be very informational.
GWN

Use Enough Gun!
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
GWN,

I've got bushy's catalog, but one of the local shop's is loaded with Rock rivers, which they say are much better guns. I've always read that bushy's are hard to beat, and they make many times more than RR's. Frankly I don't know.

I was in the AF for a while and have broken down AR's, but I don't like tieing up money in uppers I won't be using. I've poked around creedmore before, and Sinclair too.

Thanks for the twist info, I hadn't heard that before. Lately I tend to like sierra bullets. It's a good thing to know I may want to barrels anyway instead of a single flat top with a detachable handle.

Spot

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
With the new rules, I would buy a flat top and handle and shoot service rifle. The service rifle can be assembled with a float tube if it is concealed under the handguard. If I got tired of service rifle, or if I needed the longer sight radius of a match rifle because my eyes were going bad, like me, take the handle off, put on a longer barrel and match sights and shoot match rifle. I actually have a service upper, a varmint upper and a match barrel ready to be assembled into a match upper. More expensive, but more versatile.

Save up for good equipment, though. Buying second rate stuff will just have you longing for better stuff and wasting the original investment. You can shoot pretty good scores without anything but the rifle, a sling, and a rug to lay on.

Get a coat first, then the scope. The coats help alot in awful hand, er I mean offhand. The scope is used for reading the wind and until you get good enough to read the wind you won't need it.

Fast Ed

Define your manhood not by success, but by significance.
NRA Benefactor
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
quick thoughts. RRA is fine. I've won enough stuff with them to have no reservations. They have good and bad runs of parts they buy just like anyone else but will stand behind their work.

If you want a run at good custom stuff from basic to top line try White Oak Precision and White Oak Armament. Reasonable and extremely great work.

Do not use a bushy 2 stage trigger. Best bet is an RRA 2 stage tuned by the above folks. John Holliger is one of the nations top shooters in HP. And about one of the best smiths. Only reason i can't shoot a 500 out of 500 is because I can't do it, his rifles will shoot perfect scores/perfect x counts all day.(Not that I'm sad about being able to shoot a 495 with his guns)

Twist rate. When I quit shooting I was running 6.5 twists and could still shoot 52s along with my 90s. WhatI'm saying is go on the 7-8 twist side and you'll stabilize the long range bullets but still be able to shoot light ones.

Best, Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 19rabbit52, 60 invisible), 16,133 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,156
Posts18,542,747
Members74,058
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.