Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Speaking of Remingtons and Blasers, if they were both so good how come there are not used to a greater extent (if at all) by African Professional Hunters? (rhetorical question). jorge

It may be rhetorical but anyway;most use a big bore for back up and until the recent R8; they don't have that capacity....

And as you often point out concerning things such as TSX's....PH's are not the end all be all of the gun world. Most shoot what is affordable, given to them, or inherited....some are even......push feed!

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by dinsdale
Speaking of Remingtons and Blasers, if they were both so good how come there are not used to a greater extent (if at all) by African Professional Hunters? (rhetorical question). jorge

It may be rhetorical but anyway;most use a big bore for back up and until the recent R8; they don't have that capacity....

And as you often point out concerning things such as TSX's....PH's are not the end all be all of the gun world. Most shoot what is affordable, given to them, or inherited....some are even......push feed!

Push feed? Didn't they get the memo on using push feeds on dangerous game? They could all be killed... eaten alive (reminds me of an old girlfriend) but anyway where were we? You do have a good point about the R93 not handling the biggest calibers. And I happen to know several folks who've hunted Africa with Blasers. Then again there were thousands that hunted it with spears.... grin

Also a note for Jimmy... From what I've heard initially Blaser nitrited the barrel inside and out. Now they only nitrite the outside which may verify what you're saying about the inside of the barrel having issues if it's nitrited. Now my Remington was dipped inside and out and I haven't had a problem. Then again it's only had maybe a box or two run through it since then. So far so good though. From what I've seen I wouldn't hesitate to use it on anything I own. You mentioned S&W's M&P. I believe Glock uses that process on their slides as well as some of the other pistol makers. I remember when Springfield came out with one of their pistols roughly 8-10 years ago it was supposed to have a rust resistant finish and the local police shop took one out to demo it in light rain and didn't wipe it down when they got back. Couple days later it was covered in rust. Never heard what Springfield told them but it obviously had a problem. Lots of processes have been refined and improved though in 10 years.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In Germany one is allowed only to have one rifle, as a general rule. Hence the popularity of switch barrel rifles such as the Blaser.

I have had a R93 for about 10 years with two barrels. It is my main hunting rifle. Nothing is easier to use than the straight bolt pull in the field.
As to the safety, I haven't hunted with a safety for over 25 years. Safeties are inherently unsafe, and IMHO useless. I hunt action open with all rifles in all conditions.
Let's see for the money you get not having to re-bed your barrel, a crisp trigger right out of the box, and superb accuracy. I have never seen a Blaser that wouldn't do MOA right out of the box.

I don't have a problem with the looks either.

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
the nitriting process is interesting in that there are many different ways of applying it. Personally when I heard that SIG had nitrited their chamber in their new assult type rifle instead of hard chrome I thought it was a poor marketing gimmick. Due to this thread and more information on the process it looks as if done correctly that it is a very durable and corrosion resistant process. If done properly I would want inside the barrel nitrided as well based on what I have read so far.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Because what a Professional Hunter uses and what sport hunters use is rarely the same type of rifle. Remingtons are commonly used by those who need to shoot further than 20 yards. Once the pissed off animal closes the distance to a few feet then accuracy isn't as important.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
IC B2

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
at 20 feet I would prefer a cheap Ruger shooting a big bullet

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Who said anything about push feeds? I use Weatherbys...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jimmyp
if the new one was $1500 in 9.3 x 62 I would be interested, but not a $3500.00

Jimmy, your best bet is to piece one together. I have done this to get my second R-93. It might take you a while to get the complete rifle, but it might be your best way to get one. Blaserbuds and Blaser Pro have classifieds that you can get everything you need. I would get your stock first, followed by barrel and then bolt assy, and scope mount (which you can save a ton by buying the Talley). I will help you collect everything if you want.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I watched 9.0 minutes of the second video.

The design gives makes me uncomfortable. I am not going to watch more.

The 'blaser' is ugly. No need for that.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
cooperfan,
You can mount Talley's on a Blaser?
---------------------------------------------
and scope mount (which you can save a ton by buying the Talley)

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have to smile when I see guys mention that the Blasers are ugly. I grew up to the Mark V and Colt Sauer look as being the best looking rifles ever made. We'll even throw in the old Winslows that were totally over the top when it came to 'pimp my gun' looks. My first Sauer 202s were the Lux models with the same high polish blue and beautiful wooden stocks. I had no problem going to the lightweight Sauers that came with the black poly stocks and llaflon coating which keeps it from rusting in foul weather. As time went on I found that I had zero desire to take a beautiful high grade wooden stocked gun out to hunt, especially since I now had other options that didn't need that TLC. Getting to the gist of it, I saw my first Blaser in a Prestige or Luxus grade at KDF in Seguin and was of the same mind set as many of you are. To me it was fugly and just looked gimicky. It was something akin to being from another world so I pretty much blew them off. It wasn't until I met a fellow who has a pretty extensive collection of Blasers and learned what they did and how they worked that I started coming around. The final selling points were the newer 'professional' stock which is still very nice looking, the nitriting finish (something I'd never heard of till my gunsmith turned me on to it), the interchangable barrels that can be swapped out in a few minutes, the scopes that stay on target because they stay on the barrel, and the tremendous accuracy that most people achieve with their Blasers. And to take that further Blaser will stand behind their barrels. If one doesn't do what they say they'll give you a new barrel.

For an old country boy they are on the high side but to most of us our guns are also investments that we take care of and usually down the road we're able to sell them for more than what we paid for them provided we took care of them.

As for the action, yes it does take some getting used to but it doesn't take long. I wasn't sure about the 'cocking' feature either being that I'd had rifles with safeties all my life. I found that it isn't a big deal and comes pretty naturally when out in the field. The idea of not having a cocked rifle with a safety that may or may not work really does put your mind at ease. One of my first deer rifles was a 7.65 Argentine Mauser that had been sporterized. One evening after finishing my hunt I walked back to the house and started to unload the rifle to go in. As I pushed the safety down the gun went off. It split my fingernail and knocked the crap out of my thumb. And barely missed the house roof! smirk I thought I might have hit the trigger somehow but found that it did it pretty much every time. Took the gun to a local gunsmith who said that that mauser action had that particular problem. Wonderful news to know NOW! I paid him to fix it and it went to the local gun show post haste. I've also seen my share of Remingtons that had the triggers adjusted to light and would go off if tapped on the floor. As someone stated in an earlier post, safeties are not reliable and definitely not dependable 100% of the time.

In the end, NO gun is 100% perfect and any gun can break and consequently has to be treated with respect any time you handle it. If guns didn't break no gun company would need service centers or shops that did warranty work.

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
thechamp

Do you work for Blaser?

edited to add, does the gun go "click" when you push the cocking piece?

Blaser > Home
Imprint | Contact | Login | Sitemap

Blaser USA, Inc. � 403 East Ramsey, Suite 301 � San Antonio, TX 78216, USA

Last edited by jimmyp; 12/02/10.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by jimmyp
thechamp

Do you work for Blaser?

edited to add, does the gun go "click" when you push the cocking piece?

Blaser > Home
Imprint | Contact | Login | Sitemap

Blaser USA, Inc. � 403 East Ramsey, Suite 301 � San Antonio, TX 78216, USA

ROFLMAO! No I don't work for them but I have visited their location here. Blaser-USA is about 25 miles from me. I'm a retired cop who piddles around on the farm now and likes playing with a few rifles... I also happen to be 12 miles from KDF in Seguin who had been a Blaser dealer for quite some time. He was also a Sauer dealer and that was how I got to know them. My gunsmith is a master gunsmith "Tip Burns - CanyonSportingArms.com" who's shop is by Canyon Lake, Tx, about 40 miles from me. Hill Country Rifles is 10 miles from my place. Vais muzzle brakes are on the other side of San Antonio. All in all I happen to be about 'right in the middle' between all of them. I couldn't have gotten luckier if I'd have planned them all being here. If you remember the Kleinguenther rifles, that is 'KDF' which is owned by Phil Koenig now. Robert Kleinguenther came here from Germany when I was a kid and opened his shop in Seguin. He passed away 2-3 years ago. He was one of Roy Weatherby's engineers and then went on his own.

As for the 'click'. I'd have to say that there is a tiny faint click. It's more feel where you feel it lock into place than sound. I'd say it compares to the sound that a Model 70 safety makes if that much.

BTW here's the picture of the mule deer I took Oct 30th with my Blaser R93. First time I ever used the rifle other than sighting it in. 1 shot running up the other side the mountain. After he was hit he rolled all the way back down to the ravine... Luckily he didn't break his horns. The rifle is a 270 Wby mag with a Swarovski Z5 3-18x44 with the ballistic turret. Whole rig weighs 8.34#s. Nice weight for a walking magnum.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a R-93 and a K-95. Both are absolute hammers, sub moa with everything I put down them. I also have a bunch of other guns, and I love my Kimber .308 Montana, I think I got the best one Kimber ever made it shoots near .5 MOA.

The Blaser bolt rifles are very well made, safe and super compact for their barrel length. Their QD saddle mount systems is the best there is, hands down, as is their barrel changing system. The combination of the two allows a takedown rifle that truely returns to zero every time. I once fired 5 3 rd groups out of my R-93 .308, taking off the scope mount and the barrel off the action after each group. 15 rd group, 1.48 inches, try that with anything else. It would shoot .6 MOA on average for 3 rds.

The Blaser bolt is very fast to operate, the triggers are great and the safety system is the safest their is. They takedown into super compact cases making them very easy to travel with.

The blow ups one always hears about are usually heresay, the ones that I have seen documented have all involved questionable loads at best that would have taken down almost anygun.

The Blaser R-93 system in LRS trim is a poular military and LE sniper rifle used all over the world in .308, .300 Win and .338 Lapua.

Unless you have shot one I would not bash them, they are super guns, pricey yes, but so are Sisk, Granite Mountain and many other custom guns. The fit and finish on them is equal to what we call a full custom gun over hear. And for you single shot lovers, he K-95 is THE bomb.

I like them all, my toughest choice is which one to take out with me, R-93, Kimber, K-95. Good thing is none are a bad choice.

Good hunting boys. Spence

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looking these up on Gunbroker, you could buy a new Winchester or Remington for the price of just one replacement barrel!

Nice, but too pricey for most to even consider.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Well you guy's talked me into keeping the SR830.270 I had in the classifieds.Single set trigger, 2 3/4 lbs unset like an icicle,6 oz's set.Shoot's 150 Partition's in 3/4" 100yds.And it's a turnbolt,so I don't have to worry about getting a straight pull bolt thru my forehead!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by BarryC
Looking these up on Gunbroker, you could buy a new Winchester or Remington for the price of just one replacement barrel!

That's true for a lot of folks. OTOH how many people buy custom rifles from HS Precision, McMillan, McWhorter, Hill Country Rifles, Dakota, Lazzeroni, Cooper, Accuracy International, certain Sakos and Weatherbys, as well as other high end rifles every year? There is a market for these guns and they are selling. I'll definitely agree that they're not for everybody.

As a comparison, HS Precision here in the USA offers a 'take down' rifle where you can have extra barrels. Base cost for the first rifle is $4500. I can't find the price on extra barrels but it used to be $1995 each. I'm also pretty sure that each barrel is custom made for each action so you can't borrow your bud's barrel to use on your action. Might be wrong on that but that's the way I remember them being made. With Blaser, Sauer and Mauser they are all built to take any barrel off the shelf and it'll work in your receiver. Of course each company has their own proprietary barrel so they won't interchange across the three brands.

http://www.hsprecision.com/shop/rifles/takedown

I'll be the first to admit that it's takes a bit to get used to paying $2700 for a rifle and $750+ for an extra barrel but when you think of it as an investment it's not a big deal. Most people pay a grand for a plain cloth couch that cost probably a couple hundred bucks to make. Nice leather living room set is $5,000 minimum. Flat screen tvs $600-$10,000... We're paying $30,000-$60,000 and up for nice pick up trucks that in a few years are worth ???? Do we really get that money back from using them? Buying a nice rifle and taking care of it allows you to use it first of all, second, keep it nice and you'll get your money back down the road, third you can leave it to your kids and grandkids to enjoy. That $50,000 GMC Duramax with the Allison tranny will be history in 20 years and probably on the verge of being recycled. You build a $200,000 to half a million dollar home and the taxes and up keep would make owning these guns look like a frigging bargain! Taxes on a $200,000 house here in SA are now between $5,000 and $6,000 a year - $15.00 a day you pay the government to live in your own house! There are a whole lot of folks living in homes they can't afford and have no business trying to own but it's a 'status symbol'.

BTW as for leaving the kids something.. I have my dad's 1873 Winchester 38-40, octagon barrel, etc., that he hunted with. I suspect he may have inherited it or bought it in his younger days. He passed away when I was 10 so I don't know anything further about it. Today it's worth probably a couple of thousand, depending on the market etc. I'd wager he didn't pay more than $100 for it when he bought it. But at that time it was hard earned money made from trying to scratch out a living on a small farm.

It's all a matter of what you want and what you'll sacrifice to have those things that you feel are important in life. In the end we take nothing with us. Might as well enjoy your time on earth.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Nrut
cooperfan,
You can mount Talley's on a Blaser?
---------------------------------------------
and scope mount (which you can save a ton by buying the Talley)

Yes, It's a great system. The rail costs about $125 and you mount regular talley steel rings on it. I use mine with the quick release rings, so I can pop the scope on and off easy. It's a great system if you want to use 1 scope for multiple barrels.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BarryC

You can regularly buy hardly used centerfire barrels for $650 range if you shop the classifieds on Blaser Buds or Blaser Pro. Really IMO you can get away with 3 barrels to cover most everyones needs. The rimfire barrel (which I have) is outragoues though. That one hurt.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by spence1875
And for you single shot lovers, he K-95 is THE bomb.

I love my .308 K-95 Luxus too. This one will certainly get passed down to my kids one day. Best mountain rifle every made IMO.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (1OntarioJim, 260Remguy, 260madman, 1minute, 257 roberts, 1badf350, 62 invisible), 2,367 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,426
Posts18,489,172
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.