Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunswizard
VERY unsportsmanlike thing to do, subjecting an animal to four shots to kill it. The weapon used proved itself to be totally inadequate for the task and should never have been brought into play.

TROLL...looking for a fight..!

20 yards and down is inadequate....?

Originally Posted by crosshair
She went down the hill about 20 yards and died.

If only alot of us could be that lucky. I see nothing wrong and I applaud you for making good kill shots.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

VERY unsportsmanlike thing to do, subjecting an animal to four shots to kill it. The weapon used proved itself to be totally inadequate for the task and should never have been brought into play.

That's an ignorant statement, and masterful hindsight.

He only shot three times and killed the deer as intended. From the sounds of it, any of the shots would have done the job. He just didn't stop at one, which is an excellent display of hunting and shooting skills.

I'm sure there are plenty of folks here that have seen more than one deer shot as many times with an "adequate" rifle.

David

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by djs
12 yards with a 45ACP - that's OK, but on the marginal side as energy drops pretty fast.

What does energy have to do with anything? Penetration is all that matters and the 45 ACP has enough with a proper bullet

Last edited by jwp475; 12/03/10.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Sounds like some good shooting!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Paladin

He only shot three times and killed the deer as intended. From the sounds of it, any of the shots would have done the job. He just didn't stop at one, which is an excellent display of hunting and shooting skills.

I'm sure there are plenty of folks here that have seen more than one deer shot as many times with an "adequate" rifle.

David
how big was this deer???? 1-2 shots from a .44 and mr moose ended up in the frezzer more than once...do the math.45 = dead deer @ 175lbs? sounds like it worked fine, .44 = dead moose 1000+,......... shot placement. ps( A .45 is made for 2 legged creeps wink

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Well your choice has been discussed and cussed so far. Obviously a 45ACP is NOT the BEST choice of a gun to take a deer with. I use a 45 also but mine is in a Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt stoked up with some pretty heavy slugs traveling as fast as I can safely shoot them.
I think my bottom line as far as a gun goes is that any gun that can dependably drive a bullet through the heart/lungs area certainly will kill a deer. That is regardless if I or anyone would recommend it or not, and a 45ACP would not get my wholehearted approval.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by atvalaska
Originally Posted by Paladin

David
how big was this deer???? 1-2 shots from a .44 and mr moose ended up in the frezzer more than once...do the math.45 = dead deer @ 175lbs? sounds like it worked fine, .44 = dead moose 1000+,......... shot placement. ps( A .45 is made for 2 legged creeps wink

That are often larger than a Deer and certainly more dangerous. Thus the 45 ACP is adequate for Deer

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Ruger 4570
Well your choice has been discussed and cussed so far. Obviously a 45ACP is NOT the BEST choice of a gun to take a deer with. I use a 45 also but mine is in a Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt stoked up with some pretty heavy slugs traveling as fast as I can safely shoot them.
I think my bottom line as far as a gun goes is that any gun that can dependably drive a bullet through the heart/lungs area certainly will kill a deer. That is regardless if I or anyone would recommend it or not, and a 45ACP would not get my wholehearted approval.

If a 45 ACP is not adequate for Deer then how can it be adequate for 2 legged adversaries that can and are larger and far more dangerous?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Appears to be great performance for 45ACP. I've never shot a deer with the 45ACP, but have with S&W586 in 357 Mag and Ruger 41 Mag, and Glock 10mm. Shot a doe last year with my Ruger 44Sp at about 20yds. She acted like nothing wrong for about 5 sec, just stood with blood draining from both sides, then she keeled over. 10mm with 180gr HP gives the most dramatic wound channels and DRT kills.

I also do not go into the woods without a handgun on me.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
First of all, it was Winchester Factory 230gr FMJ. The three shots went fast, two being a straight Tac-Tac to the chest. She then turned and took the last one on the other side. At that range and that size target (size of a dinner plate)tac tac dead center is no problem.

Ohio Regulations for equipment say:
"or handgun with 5-inch minimum length barrel, using straight-walled cartridges .357 caliber or larger,"

So 45 ACP is legal, it's just that the barrel of the P97 is .8 inches short. A 1911 would be legal.

The load was Winchester FMJ, which is rated as target ammo. I would not want a hollow point as that would trade expansion for penetration. The ammo was not up to par. I guess at 20 yards the 45 ACP, kept off the shoulder, would be OK with a stiffer load, maybe a load with a flat point.

I should add that the short track had no blood in it. The dress weight was around 105 pounds.

Last edited by crosshair; 12/03/10.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

This Deer taken by my friends 13 year old daughter was shot trough the shoulder with a 270 130 grain Partition. The bullet did not exit, there was no blood trail and this deer went farther than you Deer went

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by jwp475

If a 45 ACP is not adequate for Deer then how can it be adequate for 2 legged adversaries that can and are larger and far more dangerous?

I DIDN'T SAY IT WAS INADEQUATE,I SAID "NOT THE BEST CHOICE" THAT IS A BIG DIFFERENCE IN TERMINOLOGY

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

If it is adequate, then what is deficient? Or what is better, since dead is dead

Your capitol lock button broken?

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
oh gees, here we go again...22lr isn't the best round to use on deer. In fact it should be and IS a crime to use it.
Butt I have seen full sized bucks shot with it and take one step and fall.

It's a straight walled case too ! Just a bit under .357...

45 ACP? Sounds like way over penetration! LOL
Nice shootin!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

22 LR is not a center fire which in my state matters, nor does it leave a 45 caliber or larger diameter wound depending on bullet selection

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Two thoughts come to mind as I'm a .45ACP owner and was in the service when the .45ACP was the standard pistol.

The .45ACP load was designed to replace the ,38 Special to stop Moro warriors the were drug crazed and wore wet rawhide warped around their chest as protection. If it stopped Moro warriors and it did, the load will certainly kill any Whitetail deer you will ever shoot. If you think this load is inadequate for Whitetail deer than you need to reconsider the load as a CCW load.

There are many different hollow point loads that make good hunting loads. Federal, at one time, made a penetrator load that had a center post of lead that gave mass as the hollow point expanded. That load would be a good self-defense load and well as a deer load. Any hollow point that operated on that same principle would be a good self defense and deer load.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Crosshair,

Before this thread slides completely off an a tangent... smirk

Using a .45 ACP with hardball you took a 12-yard broadside shot on a smallish deer. I would take the same shot.

All cartridges have limits so if anything in the scenario changes I can change my decision. I would never universally condone the .45 ACP as effective just as I would never do the same for a thermonuclear warhead.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dead is dead.
Had dear go farther lung shot with a 340!
Good shooting, great eats.
Just be glad most of you can pack, let alone hunt with a handgun frown

Later....

If guns kill people.....mine must be defective.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by LeRoy
Dead is dead.
Had dear go farther lung shot with a 340!
Good shooting, great eats.
Just be glad most of you can pack, let alone hunt with a handgun frown

Later....

+1..........

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by jwp475

I DIDN'T SAY IT WAS INADEQUATE,I SAID "NOT THE BEST CHOICE" THAT IS A BIG DIFFERENCE IN TERMINOLOGY

A pass through is a pass through, whether it is from a 45 acp or a hot loaded 45 Colt. The advantage of your hot Colt loads is on bigger game or bad angles on a deer, because it will penetrate further. On a broadside shot inside of 25 yards, with the right load, either will work on a deer. At least that has been my experience.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

514 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 117LBS, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 56 invisible), 2,463 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,159
Posts18,502,978
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.