Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. smile

I have a 1955 M70 in .30-06, which is currently running a Lyman 48 receiver sight.

I'm thinking about upgrading to a modern scope for hunting and target practice and have been looking at the Leupold vx-3 3.5-10x40 mm scope. What do you guys think? Any advice from Pre 64 owners is particularly appreciated! I'm also wondering what rings/mounts are best for a low profile that will still clear this rifle. I'd like to keep the Lyman 48 on while the scope is employed (I was told the elevation adjustment on the left side can be removed to allow for a scope), but am not 100% sure whether this is do-able.

Cheers,
Eric

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

BP-B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
You can remove the elevation slide from the Lyman, but with regular scope mounts you will not be able to reinstall the elevation slide because the rear scope mount will interfere with it. The only mounts that would allow for you to remove the scope and replace the elevation slide are side mounts, which require drilling and tapping the action. That is a beautiful rifle, don't put anymore holes in it. grin

I've had a pre-64 Model 70 set up like yours, and what I did was just remove the scope mounts when I wanted to shoot iron sights, then put them back on when I wanted to scope the rifle. Not a field expedient setup, but my backup system in case of scope failure is a second scope, pre-zeroed in rings. wink

As for scopes, the Leupold you mentioned will work just fine, though I prefer Leupold M8 3x's or 4x33's. As for bases and rings, I use steel Weaver bases and steel Burris Zee weaver rings. These allow for the bolt to clear the smallish rear objectives on those scopes.

Last edited by Oregon45; 12/05/10.
EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Other side of the Lyman 48:

[Linked Image]

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Beautiful rifle!

EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, man! It's an old Super Grade.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Eric,

I inherited a pre-64 Model 70 in 30-06 from my Dad this year. I wanted to put a period-correct scope on it, so I purchased a vintage Weaver 2.5-8x40 externally adjusted variable. I think it looks great.

bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Might work with a one-piece base that uses only the forward rear hole.

Bruce

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I run a Zeiss Victory on my Pre-64 .300 H&H.

[Linked Image]

Hunt Africa while you can
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
EricM: At the end of your first full year Hunting with that Rifle you would have diminished its considerable value by at least 10%.
After 5 years of Hunting kiss away 50% of its current considerable value!
My suggestion is to look around and find a standard grade pre-64 Winchester Model 70 in 90% condition and scope it up and Hunt away.
The pre-64 Winchester Model 70's are exceptionally strong, safe and in my extended experience are rather accurate!
My pre-64 Winchester Model 70 (standard Rifle circa 5/3/54) in caliber 30/06 in fact is scoped with a Leupold 3.5x10 variable scope.
I have killed Blacktailed Deer, Mule Deer, Mt. Goat, Elk, Black Bear, Antelope and Whitetailed Deer with this Rifle/scope set up!
In fact it is just one of two Rifles that I have ever "retired"
- it simply has killed so much game and served me so well for so long that I have hung it up and just admire it from time to time.
Again I highly recommend you do not use the handsome Super Grade Rifle for field use!
IF you do - then I recommend that you simply detach the Lyman sight completely and save it for future use.
Lyman used to offer a "dummy" slide for the sight base and it simply occupied and kept safe from damage/rust the main body/groove of the Lyman 48's & 57's.
I think I have one of these somewhere as it came with a Model 70 I collected years ago (the slide part of the sight had been "missplaced"!).
Best of luck to ya which ever way you go.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: I just looked at your additional posting/photo and that Lyman sight is a "Target" sight and it also has significant value - sell the sight and use the proceeds as a down payment on a "shooter" pre-64 Winchester Model 70 standard Rifle!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I may be incorrect, but it looks like a FWT. I would put a Leupold 2-7x33 on it. That was my choice for my pre64 FWT. Compliments it nicely and still keeps it light. A fixed 4X would be good too.

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by bcp
Might work with a one-piece base that uses only the forward rear hole.

Bruce

If this was directed to me, I've already mounted it, and will sight it in someday.

bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry, meant for OP. Forum software always presumes a response is to the preceding post, not the original post, and I don't always catch it.

Bruce

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I leave as-is. Looks to be a very fine set-up. If someone twisted my arm, I believe I'd find a very clean Leupold 3X or 4X. M70's in general seem to have a better "feel" to them with lighter scopes.

As someone else mentioned, if I wanted an everyday hunting rifle that I could scope, I would pickup a new production and leave that one as-is.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
First off, welcome and congrats on a great looking rig, on a wood stocked rifle like yours I think the leupold dual dovetail looks/works great. Find a long tube 4X and you're set to make some great memories with "the" classic american rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EricM
have been looking at the Leupold vx-3 3.5-10x40 mm scope. What do you guys think?

IMO that's too much scope for a .30-06

I'm not a fan of Leupold rings and I think some vintage Weaver tip-offs with the large knobs would look correct. Leupold Gloss finished 2-7X32 would be nice. I'd scope it or sell it because I can't afford safe queens and without a scope you may as well hunt with a .30-30.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the great feedback, everyone!

It is a Super Grade (not a FWT), and has a few other unique characteristics: Factory upgraded wood, ebony forend (not Bakelite), National Match Barrel. I bought it from a private collector in CT.

I would like to use it (not abuse) rather than keep it as a safe queen. Loss of value from field work matters less to me than creating memories with a rifle that has soul. smile I could very easily keep it as is, as the Lyman 48 is very adequate. But it would be nice to have more optics capability. I'm leaning towards removing the Lyman 48 (not selling it) and buying a smaller scope 2-7x33 or a fixed 4x.

Additional feedback on rings/mounts would be very appreciated! Is there a low profile seteup that would work well with the 2-7x33 or a fixed 4x? Thanks!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by EricM
Thanks for the great feedback, everyone!

It is a Super Grade (not a FWT), and has a few other unique characteristics: Factory upgraded wood, ebony forend (not Bakelite), National Match Barrel. I bought it from a private collector in CT.

I would like to use it (not abuse) rather than keep it as a safe queen. Loss of value from field work matters less to me than creating memories with a rifle that has soul. smile I could very easily keep it as is, as the Lyman 48 is very adequate. But it would be nice to have more optics capability. I'm leaning towards removing the Lyman 48 (not selling it) and buying a smaller scope 2-7x33 or a fixed 4x.

Additional feedback on rings/mounts would be very appreciated! Is there a low profile seteup that would work well with the 2-7x33 or a fixed 4x? Thanks!

Sorry I don't have much advise for you other than it's your rifle and based on it you seem to have good taste, so do what you think is best. If it were my rifle, like you I would use it well and take very good care of it. As someone else suggested, I would remove the aperture sight to store or sell, then put a Leupold 2.5-8 in low mounts on it. Your hunting style might be different than mine though.

You've got a very nice rifle.

John

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My 1961 safe queen wear's a time period 26mm 4X Redfield Bear Cub/hunting dot in Buehler rings & bases http://photobucket.com/sqweeler i5

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by sqweeler
My 1961 safe queen wear's a time period 26mm 4X Redfield Bear Cub/hunting dot in Buehler rings & bases http://photobucket.com/sqweeler i5

That's a beautiful Parker, is that stock original?

John

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yes John.And I'm lucky to have documentation in both stock and order book's! $100 in Nov,1904 and finished Feb,1905.Special order Live pigeon gun.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
90 members (375sunrise, 308ld, 300_savage, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 12 invisible), 1,073 guests, and 454 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,186,241
Posts18,371,440
Members73,765
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.