-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Been threatening to get those dratted ports removed for years. I'd like to see how you've got yours' set up if you've done so.

Been using Ashley Ghost Rings for years but kinda want a scope now that irons are getting blurry. Wondering if it just looks too weird to scope a shorty.

So even considering getting a 26-in. Cowboy barrel and tube. Be a lot easier on the ears.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I've got a Winchester Timber Carbine in .444. Sweet rifle but I really hate the ports. I'd like to keep what hearing I have left so it is no longer a hunting gun for me. Just a suggestion but maybe consider a good reddot instead of a scope. They're fast handy and light. I don't think most people appreciate how accurate they are at longer ranges. That front post is getting too close for me as well.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I Aimpoints on my work gun and they're great in the open on a hunting gun, but the green tint on the lens doesn't work well for my eyes in the deep woods.

[Linked Image]
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a Marlin Guide 45-70 ported with a Leupold VX-3 1 1/2 x 5 with a lighted dot. Also add a Limb-Saver recoil pad. This is my back-up tracking gun for bears or if a client shows up with a small caliber gun they use this one. I hate tracking bears at night in a swamp, 405gr. Remingtons hand loads to 1900fps. Leaves a big hole in and out. As for the noise I use electric ear plugs when hunting don't worry about the noise. Had a client once shoot from behind me blew my glasses off my face, that ear still rings to this day. Now I don't allow a round in the chamber until we are in the blind.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
So I guess you didn't trim it back behind the ports, then?

I may put a 2.5X Leupy HD on mine, but also have the same scope you mention on an AR.

Then again, I may just clean it up and send it down the road as is, the thinning the herd bug is taking hold. Ain't killed anything with that carbine in 10 years, have shot a few powder puff Unique loads for fun with the kids.

[Linked Image]
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cold Case, a friend of mine got rid of his ports but the rifle had to much muzzle jump for him. He did what I suggested and that is purchase a new 24 inch octagon barrel, then he decided to get it Mag Na Ported........I told him Hell NO!!! He listened and the rifle is great looking especially with the big loop he had installed on it. He also added later on, a rifle scope in a straight Weaver 3 power scope.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

M
Mak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Some years ago, there was one case I am familiar with that involved shortening the barrel to get rid of ports-thing was, the short barrel really was not any quieter for all that effort, and muzzle jump increased greatly, especially with heavy loads.
The guy whose gun it was, claimed to like it anyway, but the entire exercise was really pretty pointless.
There really is only one way to have a quiet gun, and that is to have a long barrel with very mild loads. Even then, it will make some noise.
If you want to keep your current configuration, without ports, check on the availability of new Marlin barrels. Marlin no longer ports their guide gun barrels.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I cant stand those ports on Guide guns. I would send it down the road and go buy a Cowboy version. Next I would cut the barrel to my desired length and throw an XS sight or maybe an aimpoint. Matter of fact I may just put one together for myself.

Joseph

Joseph

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1badf350, 1lesfox, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 58 invisible), 2,526 guests, and 1,493 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,194
Posts18,485,002
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.