Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
You know if those were catfish he wouldn't be crying.

That snook looks like a monster. Fishing in TX we rarely if ever see any. Yours is probably one of the bigger ones I've ever seen. Congrats.
I'll bet those chicken dolphins (mahi) were tasty also.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Stoney and Afterum, NICE fish guys.

The naysayer has not a clue about Florida's bass population. Once LA/Tx had a great reputation for Toledo Bend, alot of that success was FLA bass. No doubt Fl has the habitat to product a great quantity and quality of great Largemouth.

Grew up eating alot of them from Toledo Bend, great eating.

Stoney, let me know when you want to go fishing, I will come down there an buy you a beer bud!

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
You fishing the bass down south exclusively, or do you get up into the central lakes as well?

Tom - that's a nice snook, nobody'd be disappointed with her, but she's not pushing 30 lbs. wink

Beautiful dolphin and it's been a while since I've seen a 'hoo that nice. Used to see alot more when I lived on the east coast. The gulf side just ain't the same for bluewater. whistle But, the inshore layout does a pretty good job of compensating. cool

Anyway, nice fish, man!

Best -
Andy

Last edited by FLNative; 12/14/10.
S
slg888 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Andy, your correct about the Snook. I have caught some whoppers though! I bet you have caught some nice Redfish & Tarpon? Any pics?

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Yeah, that's the benefit of the west side. More redfish up and down the coast and more accessible tarpon! I was born and raised in Ft Pierce, my dad was born and raised in West Palm. East coast was all I knew for a long time, but after moving over here after college, I got used to the differences pretty quick. grin Still, given the choice, I'd rather fish snook and trout back home in FP. The numbers are the same, but the average size is a bit larger. I guide over here, but my folks still live in FP, so I run trips for big snook over there from time to time for some of my long-time regulars.

Pictures? Yeah, I got a few pictures. I'll have to get them into photobucket before I can get them in here, though. I'll try to get you a few to peek at by this evening. cool

Best -
Andy

Last edited by FLNative; 12/14/10.
IC B2

S
slg888 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Ive seen my buddies pull HUGE Snook out of the Palm beach inlet and the Lake Worth spillway can be awesome after a good rain also. That particular Snook was caught in Flamingo using a MirrOlure 52.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Aaaaahhh, Flamingo. One of my top 5 favorite destinations! Couple of the snook below came from Flamingo. As for PB inlet, sounds about right. Ft Pierce, St Lucie and Jupiter, all three are slam full of BIG snook if you know how, when, and where. cool

[Linked Image]
West Coast

[Linked Image]
East Coast

[Linked Image]
West Coast

[Linked Image]
East Coast

[Linked Image]
West Coast

[Linked Image]
East Coast

[img]http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee182/inshore52/315_ReleaseB.jpg[/img]
West Coast

[img]http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee182/inshore52/heavy36snook.jpg[/img]
East Coast

[img]http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee182/inshore52/Beach36.jpg[/img]
West Coast

I'll post a few more of tarpon and reds.

Best -
Andy

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
[Linked Image]
West Coast

[Linked Image]
West Coast

[Linked Image]
West Coast

[Linked Image]
West Coast

[Linked Image]
West Coast

[Linked Image]
West Coast

[img]http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee182/inshore52/355BeachSnook.jpg[/img]
West Coast

[img]http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee182/inshore52/seatroutrelease.jpg[/img]
East Coast

[img]http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee182/inshore52/TroutRelease.jpg[/img]
West Coast

[img]http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee182/inshore52/M_with_315A.jpg[/img]
West Coast

[img]http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee182/inshore52/315newmoonsnook3BD.jpg[/img]
East Coast

About half the snook were caught on fly and the two largest reds; my older son and dad's. Fun stuff!!

Best -
Andy

S
slg888 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Excellent Andy! Seems you know your way around South Florida very well. Yes Flamingo is top notch for backwater fishing.

Thank you for posting your pics, Stoney

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
starting to get some nice size snook down here. especially since packery channel was opened up a few years back

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I kinda like big Bluegills!!!
These aren't all that big, however, they sure did taste good.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

rudyc

Last edited by rudyc; 12/15/10.

It's a good day for something.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by stxhunter
starting to get some nice size snook down here. especially since packery channel was opened up a few years back

STX - I'm currently looking to line up a trip on Baffin around Feb/Mar. Are you from that area?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What do you do with those bass, you can't eat the dang things?

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
i'm in corpus. fished Baffin back in the early 70s when i was a kid with my dad, lived in kingsville then. use to catch literally boat loads of specks and reds back then. best place to catch trophy size specs

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
going to have a get together in June and fish the padre island national seashore. anyone wanting to come down and fish let me know.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by FLNative
Aaaaahhh, Flamingo. One of my top 5 favorite destinations! Couple of the snook below came from Flamingo. As for PB inlet, sounds about right. Ft Pierce, St Lucie and Jupiter, all three are slam full of BIG snook if you know how, when, and where. cool

I'll post a few more of tarpon and reds.

Best -
Andy

Man that's the truth .......... heading out Jupiter Inlet tomorrow to drop some lines with the boys while everyone else is opening presents!

NRA Life Member
USPSA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just read this post. I can not believe that so many folks came down on Blackdog for his, "not cool to kill bass, comment". Mayhap because it is a saltwater forum. Eat everything you catch. Do any watch bass fishing programs on TV? No one eats bass on there. They catch and release. The fresh water eaters are perch/bluegill/brim, crappie, walleye, and catfish.

I fished Toledo Bend Reservoir, TX in it's 1970's heyday. Guides would clean about 35 bass a day per boat. We brought home coolers of breadsacks full of fillets. Most of you aren't familiar with the name of that huge lake because of it.

I won't get down on folks for catching and eating. But I agree that it ain't cool to eat bass. I believe that the folks in those pics will be practicing catch and release on bass, someday. Life is good.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Maybe you eat everything you catch in saltwater in KS, but not in FL. whistle confused Most of the fish in the pictures I posted were too large to keep under the regulations, and the snook in particular, I'd have released anyway.

To each their own, but I'm not coming down on anybody as long as the resource is plentiful. If it's not, that's a whole different story. In this case, it is.

Do we stop shooting bucks because they're so "big and majestic" on a plot of land that's loaded with them?

Last edited by FLNative; 01/05/11.
S
S
Originally Posted by croldfort
I just read this post. I can not believe that so many folks came down on Blackdog for his, "not cool to kill bass, comment". Mayhap because it is a saltwater forum. Eat everything you catch. Do any watch bass fishing programs on TV? No one eats bass on there. They catch and release. The fresh water eaters are perch/bluegill/brim, crappie, walleye, and catfish.

I fished Toledo Bend Reservoir, TX in it's 1970's heyday. Guides would clean about 35 bass a day per boat. We brought home coolers of breadsacks full of fillets. Most of you aren't familiar with the name of that huge lake because of it.

I won't get down on folks for catching and eating. But I agree that it ain't cool to eat bass. I believe that the folks in those pics will be practicing catch and release on bass, someday. Life is good.

OK. It's fine to eat some fish, but not others. Glad we got that straightened out.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Just so crybaby can be happy, be it known that I will be going to Florida and being a vegetarian, all my fish will be catch and release so it's OK if slg888 ate my share.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

113 members (338reddog, 79S, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 19 invisible), 1,623 guests, and 899 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,290
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.