Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
gene270 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
has anybody used these two sharpeners and what is your opinion of them, I cant sharpen a knife at all and have tried several sharpeners with little to no luck and am willing to pay for a good one since i have bought some very nice knives lately.

thanks
gene

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I currently use an Edge Pro, had used a Smith (Lansky type), and before that used wet stones. I find the Edge Pro gives me the best edge but it did take practice and correct technique. I have no experience with a "wicked edge".

I learned once I went with harder steel it was more difficult to obtain a quality edge. The Edge Pro has allowed me to obtain a good edge - not as sharp as a factory new Case.

I want to try a cardboard wheel. I understand this is one of the best ways to obtain a razor edge but it does take practice.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm looking/researching both these sharpeners as well and will be looking forward to the responses you get.
The Wicked Edge uses two stones in each grit making it a bit pricier if you want to get the finest stones/strops-Pro model.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"I want to try a cardboard wheel. I understand this is one of the best ways to obtain a razor edge but it does take practice."

This system is so easy and simple to use that it takes very little practice to learn.

One thing to remember when using these wheels, and this is true for any power grinder, hold the object you are grinding or polishing in such a way that if the wheel grabs it, it will pull it away from you instead of throw it back toward you.

Also hold it in your hand so that if it grabs, it will pull it out of your fingers instead of jamming it into your hand.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have them all, paper wheels, lansky, stones, sticks and the edge pro. After getting the hang of it, the edge pro gets the nod. I usually sharpen the edge to 20 degrees and for touch ups use the sharpmaker.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use my stone but have set it so it is at 18 degrees and the lanski is at 20 degrees for honing. I can get my knives sharp now as it is quite simple to hold the knife vertical for both the stone and the sticks.I carry a little ceramic "steel" in the field.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Von Gruff.

Last edited by VonGruff; 12/06/10.

Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Lansky I got when I was a kid. It's at least 25 years old. The plastic holding the stones has crumbled on a couple and I have replaced them, but otherwise, it still does all my knives. It is fool proof and does a good job. I don't know what they are now, but I bet I paid $20 for the kit.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have the cardboard wheel and the whole sharpening kit from Jantz supply. I ran it, stripped all the abrasive off it, re applied it, stripped it off again... So it goes. I used the white rouge on the other wheel too and I'd much rather use stones.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Edge Pro, pretty easy to use. Even my 5 thumbed buddy can get his knives sharp with one of these.

I'd avoid the paper wheels, they can be dangerous and hard to use even though they can do good work in the hands of someone skilled................................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not very often folks at this site make suggestions that actually save me money! - thanks Rob & dj

On the other hand I was at Tandy leather today and spent $115 on leather, I need to stop giving knives & sheaths away.

VonGruff - nice setup and even nicer knives. You make the knives?

Last edited by Boise; 12/06/10.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I actually managed to get $10 out of someone last night for a sheath!

Coming to grips with the fact that you are getting good at what you do and should be charging people is one of the hardest things to do. I gave away at least a dozen knives over the last 2 years. I have 5 I'm working on for people that want to give me $100 each for them. Considering I just spent $200 at True Grit for belts and $200 for a piece of super fancy Norwegian leather from Tandy's... and there's steel, burl wood, silver... I'll probably still be in debt when I'm done. Fun hobby.

This is the sharpener.

http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/D...35803&SessionID=ZWVQlL0GP9ajdqdS7jGu

gene270 #4671379 12/06/10
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Just got the wicked edge last month (still waiting on the fine/extra fine), and so far this has put the best edge on my knives of anything I had tried previously. It is easy to use, and repeatable. Quality appears to be very good. The lansky's, gatco's are headed down the road, and the wetstones are headed to the woodshop.

Last edited by aktroller; 12/06/10.
FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Watching videos of the two, wicked Edge and Edge Pro apex, either looks really good to me. Think I am going to put the W.E. on my Christmas list and cross my fingers.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I have been getting good results with the Edge Pro. I can still do a good edge using stones, but the Edge Pro is MUCH more consistent, and faster.

Sam......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Boise
Not very often folks at this site make suggestions that actually save me money! - thanks Rob & dj

On the other hand I was at Tandy leather today and spent $115 on leather, I need to stop giving knives & sheaths away.

VonGruff - nice setup and even nicer knives. You make the knives?

Yeh, the larger of the two is a bit special to me as I made it from the blade of my Grandfathers scrub slasher that had this old stamp on that I believe makes it over a 100 yrs old.
[Linked Image]
Handle is African Blackwood and the furnishings are Nickle silver.
[Linked Image]

This little rabbit knife is a Sweedish steel with Ivory and Nickle silver.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shame the slasher broke but I'm fairly certain your grandfather would have been proud of the way you used the steel.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks Boise, but the slasher didn't break, I cut it through. It probably had another 100 yr of use left in it but I have not had any use for a one for a very long time. There are other ways to cut scrub now if you have the need.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
It can be very frustrating to sharpen a knife by free hand. Some blades I can bring to razor sharpness in minutes with a regular wet stone and steel, and some I can work on for hours and it just gets duller and duller. Never tried one of those guided systems.

PS my test for a really sharp knife is if it can pop a piece of 550 paracord in half with a light push down on it. Not a slice (that doesn't require as much sharpness), but a straight down push on a cutting board. Doesn't have to be shaving sharp for that, but close.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by VonGruff
I use my stone but have set it so it is at 18 degrees and the lanski is at 20 degrees for honing. I can get my knives sharp now as it is quite simple to hold the knife vertical for both the stone and the sticks.I carry a little ceramic "steel" in the field.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Von Gruff.
Very nice. Do you use oil or water on that stone?

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I have an edge pro and loved it when I got it. It really allows you to have complete control of your sharpening angles and degree of polish, without all of the practice of free hand sharpening. That being said, I dont really use it much any more. I prefer a japenese combo water stone (800/4000) that I got at Rockler for about 25 bucks. One of the best peices of the edge pro is the fine ceramic rod that it comes with. With that rod you can bring a a correctly sharpened knife back to shaving sharp about a dozen or more times before you have to use the edge pro again. I use that on every knife I make, carry or use in the kitchen.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

343 members (007FJ, 160user, 1lesfox, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 28 invisible), 1,984 guests, and 1,120 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,848
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.