Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hammer1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Which would be a better 16 gauge selective-single-trigger side-by-side ?

Merkel or AYA ?

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Single selective trigger? Perish the thought!

I like the AYA, but do make sure it fits you before spending the money. I'm tall...apparently Spaniards are short...

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Hammer1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Currently have several side-by-sides both with single selective trigger and also with double triggers.

Do not recall ever deciding to shoot the tighter choke first in the field, so the speed in selecting the barrel is not of concern to me.

Enjoy shooting side-by-sides on the trap range where the tighter choke is what I want for singles whereas the more open choke is what I want first on doubles.

My scores are higher with the single trigger.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Merkel - if it fits - AYA is maybe a little prettier someways but depending on vintage I'd be leery of the selective trigger

in any event for use it's a matter of fit not brand but I'd always pick the Merkel for rugged and reliable - but a nice AYA looks as good as it gets in any company.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've had both but they were double trigger models. Most of the differences are in style, not function. Pick the one that you like the best and enjoy!

IC B2

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Merkal

Canada by choice, British by Blood

People think there's a rigid class system here, but dukes have been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.

HRH Prince Phillip

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Unlike Hammer1, I have shot hundreds of real birds by using the left trigger to choose the tighter choke.

I hate single triggers for bird hunting, and find that any sort of clay target game isn't the same as field shooting.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Since there has to be one in every crowd... I'd suggest passing on both and finding yourself a vintage LC Smith. wink

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

REALLY..... I threw up in my mouth a little when I read that...

A proper shotgun has two triggers..that is all you need to know....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by ingwe

REALLY.....

Maybe... but you really do need to stop yanking them both at once. wink

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have both, and there are so many grades. The AYA is clubbier than the Merkel as a rule. There are always exceptions.

My experience is limited to having owned 3 Merkels and two AYAs, so it is limited. I think the good Spanish guns are better values, but I prefer the German guns. I have had some problems with the AYAs...triggers on both and safety on one. I've never had any of my German guns fail me...ever.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I like my AYA 28 gauge with two, count 'em two, triggers quite a bit although the bluing and case coloring are wearing off a little sooner than I'd like. I guess I don't care all that much since it's from 5 years of good honest use hunting mountain grouse.

Hammer1, haven't used the back trigger (tighter choke) first in the field? Man I do it all the time. If my springer gets birdy at 25 yards and I can tell a flush is eminent, I think to myself "if he's out there, get on the back trigger". When the bird comes up the first and likely only shot's gunna be 35 yards. More of an improved cylinder to modified than a cylinder shot. And, it usually happens way faster than I could ever use a barrel/trigger selector switching mechanism. Brings to mind the old phrase "keep it simple stupid".

Last edited by mw406; 12/12/10.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like SXS's a lot. Good to see that you appreciate them as well.

I would go with the German gun for the prestige factor alone.

No single triggers for me on side by sides. To each his own.

Consider the 20 ga. With a 3" chamber they are effective yet handle and look so well.

The Bernadelli and Ugartechea's that I have are good guns. Consider one of those brands.

[Linked Image]

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Always disapppointed that Bernadelli insisted on those short barrels. Had a nice Uberto 2 28 gauge but those short barrels (25" IIRC) sucked so it went down the road. I need 28" barrels minimum on my sxs's. Oh, and two triggers are preferred too.

Hammer1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Unlike Hammer1, I have shot hundreds of real birds by using the left trigger to choose the tighter choke.

No doubt most folks, maybe all, here have far more experience in the field with shotguns than I do.

I have spent most of my life with rifles and handguns. While I have owned shotguns for 40+ years and shot them some over the same time period, the serious study of shotguns is relatively new to me.

From what I've read from the gun writers on this forum, most of my guns are choked tighter than y'all care for.

For example, my 32-inched barreled Winchester Model 21 is choked full and extra-full.

My L C Smith is full and extra-full.

Think my Lefever is improved-modified and full.

These are not just the markings but are from measuring the bore and the choke constriction and shooting on patterning boards.

Think the only open chokes I have on side-by-sides are on modern models with screw-in chokes like the Beretta 471 Silverhawk. But I still carry tight chokes in both barrels in it since I am used to tight chokes.

I grew up in country that would lend itself to cylinder and improved-cylinder chokes.

Where I live now the pheasants typically fly a long distance in the open before heading into cover so tighter chokes seem appropriate.

My relative inexperience with shotguns is why I ask so many questions on the topic. I continue to read as much as I can about shotguns and shotgun ballistics in books, magazines, and other sources. Also I shoot shotguns every day that I can. My wife wishes I would go back to the rifled barrel as they are much cheaper than the smooth bore.

Someone has hinted that every member of my family is giving me a different book on shotguns and shotgunning for Christmas so I will not be a pest for a few days.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They are both excellent makers. Be sure the Brenardelli is a Vincenzo Bernardelli. There is another one, and their guns are vastly inferior to the V. Bernardellis.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by luv2safari
I have both, and there are so many grades. The AYA is clubbier than the Merkel as a rule. There are always exceptions.

My experience is limited to having owned 3 Merkels and two AYAs, so it is limited.

Which two AYA models have you owned?

Unless one is talking about lower end guns like AYA Matadors, etc which were spec'd for the American market and are a bit heavy and ungainly- the normal English styled AYA models of ANY grade- no4 boxlocks through no. 1 Sidelocks etc handle very well.

AYA traditional builds there guns scale to each gauge. They are as light or lighter for each guage than any Merkel.
The Merkels are great guns, but in terms of mass and balance, I do not see them as being superior at all to an AYA.

Last edited by jim62; 12/13/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Hammer1

[quote]

My wife wishes I would go back to the rifled barrel as they are much cheaper than the smooth bore.

Maybe you're just not buying the right rifles???

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
+1

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ingwe

REALLY..... I threw up in my mouth a little when I read that...

I had a similar reaction but was trying to be genteel about an otherwise tawdry suggestion...

I am..........disturbed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

224 members (1minute, 1_deuce, 264mag, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 204guy, 32 invisible), 2,482 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,060
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.