Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm looking to put a scope on a new-to-me "deer rifle". It looks like the Leupold FX-3 6x42 gets a lot of accolades by many here on the 'Fire. I hunt fairly dense woods here in PA. The longest shot I've ever taken at a deer in my 30 years of hunting has probably been +/-80 yards, with most being closer than that.

I use a variable scope and typically set it at 3x while stalking and 4x while on stand. However, I do crank it up on occasion when shooting at a stationary/slow moving deer at the end of my visible range. I find that the higher power helps me to pick an opening through branches and brush that may deflect my bullet.

I've never had a scope let me down mechanically. So other than the fact that the fixed powers may be more durable, what other advantages do they have over a variable power scope for my style of hunting?

Also, for a guy on a limited budget, would a FX-II 6x36 be serviceable, or is the FX-3 6x42 the only way to flY?

Thanks.

GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
The 6x36 doesn't give up much to the 6x42, particularly in the FXII. You can find the old M8 6x36's for around $150-175 here on the 'fire if you check the classifieds often, they're great scopes for that kind of money but will show their age in really low light.

Last edited by Oregon45; 12/18/10.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I'm a huge fan of the 6X42 Leupold. Most of my big game rifles wear them. But, frankly, I believe you'd be much better served with an FXII, 4X.
While I do hunt some heavy cover with mine and I've made running shots at 20-25 yds. with mine, I still think you'd be better off with the 4X.
At 100 yds. or more, being able to see detail, like twigs and leaves in the way of your shot, does give the 6X42 an edge. But you said you've never shot anything over 80 yds., so....
The only place where they would work better than a 4X that I've seen, and I've got lots of time with 4X scopes too, would be on a dark night. A 6X42 shoyuld allow you to see about 50% further than you can see with a 4X33. E

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You said you only use 3X to 4X for hunting. Why would you box yourself in to a fixed power scope at greater magnification and therefore less field of view?

There has been a long litany of pushing the fixed 6X for big game hunting. Keep in mind that some shooters have poor eyesight and need the magnification to try and make up for that. Others only hunt at longer ranges or have some zeal or need to push fixed scopes.

I have all kinds of hunting and target scopes and in fact was 'blessed' with a fixed 6X on my first CF hunting rifle. It bothered me in the woods. I could not pick up moving game in an easy way. Back then there were few variables and I found that the 4X scopes were just right for me.

Go with a variable as thats what almost everyone else does. They do it because it is the best choice for hunting.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by CoalCracker

I've never had a scope let me down mechanically. So other than the fact that the fixed powers may be more durable, what other advantages do they have over a variable power scope for my style of hunting?

Stick a decent 3x9x40 on there and go hunting. A few years back I fell into the 6X fad and bought a leupold 6x42, it now sits on a gun in the back of the safe. I think I've hunted with it maybe five times. It's a nice enough scope but I didn't like the limitations it came with. With a 3x9 I leave it on 3x until I'm ready to shoot, lots more field of view than a fixed 6x. If I need the extra power then I crank it up. Variables are so reliable nowadays that any durability difference isn't even a consideration, for all practical purposes a good variable is just as tough as a fixed. Price wise you can buy a decent variable for as little or less than a comparable fixed power. There's just no advantage to a fixed 6x today and there's some significant disadvantages.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got two 6x Leupolds, a FXII 6x36 w/ LRD reticle and a multicoated M8 6x42. I shot my deer this year at about 75 yds. with the 6x36. I only had a small hole in the brush to shoot thru but the 6x36 did just fine.As far as the advantages of fixed power scopes over variables there are three I know of. First, fixed power scopes tend to be more durable. Second, fixed power scopes do not change point of impact when changing power as some variables do. Third, when you are running a balistic reticle with a fixed power you don't have to worry about having your scope set at maximum magnification for the balistic reticle holdover marks to work (I'm a firm believer in keeping things simple). I'm sure either of the Leupolds will work great for you.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Stick a decent 3x9x40 on there and go hunting. A few years back I fell into the 6X fad and bought a leupold 6x42, it now sits on a gun in the back of the safe. I think I've hunted with it maybe five times. It's a nice enough scope but I didn't like the limitations it came with. With a 3x9 I leave it on 3x until I'm ready to shoot, lots more field of view than a fixed 6x. If I need the extra power then I crank it up. Variables are so reliable nowadays that any durability difference isn't even a consideration, for all practical purposes a good variable is just as tough as a fixed. Price wise you can buy a decent variable for as little or less than a comparable fixed power. There's just no advantage to a fixed 6x today and there's some significant disadvantages.

Very well said.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'd hunt PA's woods( and about anywhere on the continent) with a fixed 4...not that something else might not be "better" under one circumstance or another,but across the board I doubt I'd be terribly deprived.

I like fixed 6X and use two,but do find it a bit much in the eastern woods I hunt.That's just me, though........

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Savage_99
You said you only use 3X to 4X for hunting. Why would you box yourself in to a fixed power scope at greater magnification and therefore less field of view?

I don't know, but I thought maybe I was missing something. For me, a variable scope has always worked well, but since I've joined the 'Fire, I have seen a lot of obviously experienced hunters/shooters swear by the fixed power. I never really understood why, except maybe if dangerous game were being hunted.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm not trying to be a wiseguy, but why would you choose a fixed 4x over a decent variable, say 2-7x or 3-9x? I'm trying to figure out what the advantage is. Someone mentioned POI may change between power settings, but at the distances I am accustomed to, I doubt that it would be significant.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The bias is based on the fact that the first variables weren't that great. It's the same way with inexpensive scopes. Current production is remarkable.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I prefer fixed magnification scopes because they are very tough. I don't know about others, but in the desert ranges I hunt, I always seem to fall on the rocks or some ice and snow. I've never had a 3X,4X or a 6X change zero on me. In spite of this treatment.
The other is that many think that field of view is no.1 when it comes to acquiring game on the move in close cover. Actually, it's highly over rated. A properly positioned scope, one with lots of eye box and a rifle that you can handle rapidly are what is needed.
Last of all, extra magnification, really anything over 4X, has never made a difference to me when it came to shooting any big game animal, even at the longest ranges.
I've used all sorts of variables for many years. I stopped using them when I learned, in the field, just how practical fixed magnification scopes are. E

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I do most of my hunting in very heavy woods, thickets and swamps. A fixed power 2.5 or 3X does everything I need. Many of my lever guns wear a low power variable, and it usually is dialed to the lowest setting.
Longest shot I have taken in those sort of woods was probably 50 yards.

Sam......

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
4x; 3x would be even better...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
CoalCracker: I own and use variables but did not grow up on them,so don't spend a lot of time worrying about whether I have one on my rifle or not....

I have shot a lot of game with them, but until last year never turned one up to max setting to shoot anything,and only occaisionally have I turned one down.Mostly I put them on 4X and forget about them.

I have jumped bucks,and elk and bears, in heavy cover from Maine to the Rockies and killed them with a fixed 4X at spitting distance.I've also used them to kill elk, antelope and mule deer,and whitetails at distances as far as 500 yards,mostlt less,and while they may not have been ideal for the purpose, they were always good enough to get the job done.

I am one of those who still believes a fixed power scope is a more rugged hunting sight for BG than just about any variable,simply because I have had far more variables let me down and break mechanically than any fixed powers,and really never experienced scope problems until the late 80's and early 90's,when I started using variables more frequently.

I did recently have some issues with a fixed power scope and this would make a total of two fixed powers that gave me problems in about 35 years of hunting and shooting;I don't know how many variables I have had crap out but it has been far more than two.

A fixed 4X is old school and a compromise for sure, but will give you sufficient FOV in heavy cover and sufficient definition in the open for most shots presented. I do like a bit more power in the open than I used to which is why I still use variables and fixed 6X scopes, but if I grab a rifle mounted with a fixed 4X I don't worry about it at all because I will kill with it as well at 400 yards as I will at 20 in the woods. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
4X Conquest is a hell of scope if you find one, there are a few still out there. The fixed Weavers are rugged/light/priced right also.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by CoalCracker
I'm looking to put a scope on a new-to-me "deer rifle". It looks like the Leupold FX-3 6x42 gets a lot of accolades by many here on the 'Fire. I hunt fairly dense woods here in PA. The longest shot I've ever taken at a deer in my 30 years of hunting has probably been +/-80 yards, with most being closer than that.

I use a variable scope and typically set it at 3x while stalking and 4x while on stand. However, I do crank it up on occasion when shooting at a stationary/slow moving deer at the end of my visible range. I find that the higher power helps me to pick an opening through branches and brush that may deflect my bullet.

Also, for a guy on a limited budget, would a FX-II 6x36 be serviceable, or is the FX-3 6x42 the only way to flY?

Thanks.

Go '42.

No trick to paste crosshair intersection where you wish and to press trigger at the same time...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I hunt the NY woods, not much different than PA, at least where I have been in PA.

If your a stand hunter and your going to be shooting at deer 10-80 yds that are not moving much, or walking a 6X is just fine. I have a 4x33 FXII and a 6X36 FXII and from a stand its really no difference.

If you game is still hunting or deer drives your much better off with something at 4X or less.

In my opinion the advantage of the fixed scopes are , fixed eye relief (and with the two I have, very generous eye relief) This is not true with some variables particularly the Leupold variables that while generous at low power are really far less friendly at higher power.

Light weight, They are lighter and less bulky than variables.

Based up on my history, they are tougher than variables. I have put a couple of variables out of comission but yet to do it to a quality fixed power.

That said I really think that for the GP wood hunter the scope to look at is a good 1.5-6X40. 1.5x is as fast as can be, I can shoot comfortably with both eyes open, which is the key to getting on a deer fast like when you kick one up out of a bed 20 yds in front of you. If you doubt this take your rifle to a trap range and try dry firing on some birds..two eyes open is the key. 6X with a 40mm objective is a pretty fair combo for the early and late when low light performance is required. all in a package thats reasonably sized.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Never shot a 6x or anything else,with a blinker closed. The big ocular and generous depth of the eye-relief window,speeds things right up on the '42.

They's faster,than a whole bunch fast and by quite a margin...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A 6x will be fine if that is what you want. Here is a thread I started a couple of years ago on this very subject...

Fixed 6X Discovery

RH

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1234, 1minute, 160user, 10Glocks, 16penny, 53 invisible), 2,415 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,527
Posts18,472,651
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.