Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
kend Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
The question is should I use 403b money to pay off a couple of mortgages. I'm 63 and still working. We owe money on our home and vacation home. The total might be 200k. Probably seven years left on each 15yr loan. I don't need the 403b money for income when I retire and paying off the mortgages would free up about $2500/month. So if I withdrew say 50k now and another 50k after the first. I think you get the idea. Is this a bad idea? I do realize that the withdrawals would be taxed. Thanks, Ken

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
for me a large part of the equation would be dependent upon whether they are fixed mortgages or ARMS.

if fixed and at a decent rate I'd be inclined to hold them

if Arms, I'd pay those suckas off so fast it would make the bank tellers skirt blow up.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
K
kend Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
They are fixed at 5.25 ish

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
On the long term you need to figure out if the taxes paid on the 403b would be more or less than the total interest paid if you just finished the loans out on schedule. If you'll break even or come out ahead, I would say do it.

Deal with it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd pay them off. Just hate debt looming over me and I erradicate it asap.

"That's what happens when your leaders stop being an American and start being a politician." George S. Patton
What would Yoda do...your ass kick it he would.
[Linked Image]
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Also need to figure how much return + growth you would be foregoing by cashing out on you 403. Is it more than the intrest you pay? If so that is a losing proposition.

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kend
off the mortgages would free up about $2500/month. So if I withdrew say 50k now and another 50k after the first. I think you get the idea. Is this a bad idea? I do realize that the withdrawals would be taxed. Thanks, Ken

PM VAnimrod and draw his attention here. I'm sure he'll be able to lay out your best options.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
it is never a bad idea to pay off your home.

you may have other better financial options, but paying off a home can never be a bad thing.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Pugs
off the mortgages would free up about $2500/month. So if I withdrew say 50k now and another 50k after the first. I think you get the idea. Is this a bad idea? I do realize that the withdrawals would be taxed. Thanks, Ken

PM VAnimrod and draw his attention here. I'm sure he'll be able to lay out your best options.

I'd sooner let the bank have it back.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here's one slightly different option or train of thought. Pay off just one motgage to reduce the interest you're paying per month. It doesn't have to be an all or nothing deal on both houses. Also, reduce the tax implications by taking out funds over more than just two years.

It should be a decision based on the math vs paying off debt just to feel good about it.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i am in somewhat of a similar situation in that i owe some money to a bank, which is a large monthly payment, but the rate is only 2.28%. I have the money to cover the obligation, but don't like the tax consequences of taking it out.
I don't like paying that bill.
I would look at it several ways.
Doesn't the interest deduction benefit you at all on your tax return?
Is id difficult for you to make the payments?
Is it a valid point that if you have the money in the plans to offset the obligation that in a sense you can get rid of the debt anytime you want, so in essence it isn't a debt in some sense of the word anymore.
Have you thought about additional principal payments to the normal payments to reduce the time allocation?
How much are you making on the plans, at least as much as the interest on the loan?
If you truely did want to pay it off, what would the tax cost be if spread over MORE than this month, and the rest next month, say you did it over a couple of years or more?
I don't like debt either, but i consider a debt that i have fully reserved for different than if i don't have the money to close it out at will.
But i also don't like giving sammie anymore than i have to.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Ken,

Do you have a definite retirement date set? That would weigh heavily on my decision. If your gonna work a few more years, you have time to all but pay them off without having to take the tax hit.
I can see paying off your primary residence for peace of mind. I however would rather have a nest egg than a paid off vacation home.
I would be on the horn with my tax guy and financial planner before doing anything drastic.

Erich

Buy once, cry once.
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Kend...many,many varaiables to consider. It's probably worth 500 of your stash to go speak with a expert so you can be meticulous with your specific dynamic,rather than with the generalities well intended folks here are utilizing to offer you some advice.

I can think of at least 10 rapid fire questions I'd need you to answer before I felt comfortable even considering offering advice. And, I'm not even close to being a expert.

Best of luck to you in this undertaking. I have no doubt you'll do what's best for you and your family.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

K
kend Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Isaac, I think I'll take your advise. I'm inclined to want to be debt free but I don't want to waste money getting there. Ken

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Best of luck. If your meeting takes place, come back and teach me!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RAS2
I'd pay them off. Just hate debt looming over me.......

Same here.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Kend, half way thru a 15 year note and you're paying off principal more than interest. You can get a current amortization schedule from your bank or a multitude of online services via Google. Take a look and see what it's costing you interest wise as of today. It probably isn't much. Fishead's comment in the last sentence sounds prudent to me.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Isaac, I think I'll take your advise. I'm inclined to want to be debt free but I don't want to waste money getting there. Ken

Choose wiesely with who you consult with. If it's anyone that sells load type mutual funds or profits in anyway from the sale of stocks and bonds - pass. Best bet is to pay an hourly rate to someone who doesn't even offer investments. CPA, CFP - etc.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If paying them both off now increases your current quality of life due to having the extra expendable income, do it. Even if it costs a little more in the long run. None of us have a guarantee on how long we're going to be kicking around. Enjoy every day to the fullest you can.
My homes are paid for, I pay cash for my vehicles,boats, etc. I collect a little interest here and there but I don't pay any. It gives me peace of mind that would be hard to hang a price tag on.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm in a very similar position with about 7 years left on a 15 at 4.75%. I'm letting mine ride (mortgage) but paying extra principle when able. The tax benefit of the deduction vs the tax penalty of the 403b withdrawals just don't make it worthwhile for "ME".
As others have suggested, your specifics may be different.

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 10ring1, 61 invisible), 2,108 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,086
Posts18,521,930
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.