Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
"I don't always hunt Australia. But when I do, I prefer to use enough gun."

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Steve,

Thanks for sharing some fantastic pictures.

Its a pity Oz doesn't have more public land open for hunting as I think it would a hunters paradise, not that it is too shabby now mind!

Regards,

Peter

PS Does anybody know if feral Gaur are available for hunting in Oz???

TDN Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Wow, thanks for sharing! Great buff, and love the shot of the horses. wild ones?

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Steve-

Very cool adventure and great picts!

Thank you for sharing.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Hi Peter,

I'm fairly certain there are no actual Gaur in Australia (as a feral population anyway), but there is another species of wild cattle in Australia known as "Banteng" Bos javanicus that occur as self sustaining populations in our North.
Is this the species you may be thinking of?
If indeed it is, then you are in luck, and hunts for them can be organised.....But remember to have quite a healthy cheque account!

Actually, Australia has the largest population of this cattle in the wild, and I believe it is managed for primarily hunters, and that the trophy fees are a source of income for the local indigenous landholders.

You could go for a hunt in the Territory, and bag yourself three cattle species. Water Buffalo, Banteng and Scrub Bulls.
The Scrub Bulls are just wild, unhandled cattle that are present on a lot of the stations around there.

Make sure you bring "enough gun" if you come over!
Remembering that what you use on them, would make a fine (if a little excessive) cartridge for a Sambar stalk down the Southern end of the continent.
Crap...starting to sound like a travel salesman now(no, I'm not one). Sorry!
Cheers for now,
Aussielad.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cheers for that...it probably was Banteng I was thinking of..

Hunting in the NT and/or Vic for Sambar is one of my ambitions, (more so than hunting Africa or Alaska actually) but as you say I believe its serious $$$$$...

I have relatives up near Darwin and if I ever visit, I would definately take a rifle, even if only for the pigs...

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Not sure how it would pan out cost wise for a tourist, but the Sambar hunting would definitely be cheaper for a Southern local (like me). I've seen guide rates at pretty good prices, but you get what you pay for.
There's also the option of a "ranch" style hunt at a place called Watervalley, but this probably isn't to a lot of peoples taste due to the stock being contained in paddocks. Albeit very large, and well wooded paddocks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AussieLad
Not sure how it would pan out cost wise for a tourist, but the Sambar hunting would definitely be cheaper for a Southern local (like me). I've seen guide rates at pretty good prices, but you get what you pay for.
There's also the option of a "ranch" style hunt at a place called Watervalley, but this probably isn't to a lot of peoples taste due to the stock being contained in paddocks. Albeit very large, and well wooded paddocks.

Re the Sambar hunting, how close are you to sambar country? My understanding is that there is free public hunting in the various national parks in Victoria?

Regards,

Peter

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Great story and pics.

Three questions here.

How do they taste compared to beef or bison?

And how often do they charge - either while being hunted, or after a hit?

How heavy would the average bull be?

Thanks,

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congratulations on a great hunt.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
In Aussie time, I'm not too far from Sambar country. Could pack up, and be within the area in about 6 hours driving (400 miles). I have a mate who lives in Melbourne (roughly 600 miles away), and this is the closest major city from me that has access to good public hunting lands. It isn't really that big a deal to skip over for a few days of hunting. The drive isn't too bad, and knowing a local makes it easier.
It's something I'm likely to do within the next few months. I'm quite keen to visit the Victorian high country.
Also a possibility of a trip to the Aussie Alps around Canberra (New South Wales).

I don't want to hijack this thread too much (too late?)
PM me if you want more info, happy to share/help.

Last edited by AussieLad; 12/20/10. Reason: Trying to avoid a thread hijack
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BCBrian
Great story and pics.

Three questions here.

How do they taste compared to beef or bison?

And how often do they charge - either while being hunted, or after a hit?

How heavy would the average bull be?

Thanks,

dont think they charge as often as a cape but have seen videos of ones charging.....i wouldnt take them lightly....as far as weight they can get up to 2600 pounds.....which is heavier than capes get....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Yep, I certainly wouldn't want to hang around one to see if it plays nice.

Also, as Rattler recommends, If you want a great story about (not only) Buffalo hunting, get hold of a copy of "Hell West and Crooked" by Tom Cole. One of my go to books for a relaxing day.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yeah that is a good book....can find it for as low as 29 cents used on Amazon, cost yah more in shipping grin

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Yep, It sure would....ask me how I know! grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
hell i meant you can find that one in the states for $0.29....[bleep] me i wouldnt suggest buying one from Oz, feel like i got bent over every time i leave the post office when i shoot something your way.....

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks for sharing, SteveG. Sounds like that was a great hunt.
Stay thirsty, my friend! grin

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think Steve looks like Frank Langella... laugh

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1badf350, 1234, 16penny, 1lesfox, 63 invisible), 2,581 guests, and 1,356 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,465
Posts18,471,363
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.