Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

I just don't see anyone getting 20+mpg in the newer dodges unless they drive no faster than and keep a steady 60mph. the new dodges don't come with urea injection like ford and chevy so dodge is behind and their motor is choked with EGR and soots the oil very quickly.

actually , I beleive the Fords and Chevies still do have EGR and DPF like the Dodges.....the difference is they are using urea injection rather than injecting fuel into the exhast for the regen events .

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How is it I get all the junk?

Think I've sorted it out: Too much blue stuff?

Talked with a guy at our range t'other day, that was driving a fairly new F250 diesel 4x4. Claimed to get close to 22 MPG highway, kinda empty. Didn't stick around to see if he could shoot a rifle, too. ;O)

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, either me or my calculator must be full of it. Made a 387 mile trip last weekend, filled to the brim when I left & filled to the brim when I got back. 17.1 gallons which, according to my cheap OfficeMax calculator is 22.6 mpg. Obeyed the speed limit (65-70) the whole trip. 2003 Cummins.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by dubePA
How is it I get all the junk?

Think I've sorted it out: Too much blue stuff?

Talked with a guy at our range t'other day, that was driving a fairly new F250 diesel 4x4. Claimed to get close to 22 MPG highway, kinda empty. Didn't stick around to see if he could shoot a rifle, too. ;O)

If you see him again, ask him if we could arrange for him to drive my '06 F-250 diesel. I'd like it to get that kind of mpg, but the best I've gotten with it so far is 18. Maybe he'd even let me tag along and learn some things. wink

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I gotta be done with the deezils for a while.

In new/newish trucks anyways.

I do have a hankerin to hand select the best of the cummins offerings (bone stock and conservative on power)from the past 10-15 years. Focus would be squarely on dependability & economy, I don't need and don't want 700hp & 800ft pounds of torque. Put a manual trans behind it, a stout T-case feeding a pair of simple dana 60's with disc brakes and selectable lockers and put it all under a vintage ford crew cab long box with just enough lift to clear narowish 35" tires.

Something clever here.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well I had a long talk with my highschool buddy Bosco today! He told me that his 2008 Dodge 1-ton dually gets 15.3 going down the interstate at 70 mph. His rig has .373 gears in the rearend. He has close to 40,000 miles on the 6.7 Liter Cummins Diesel engine. He gets 11.5 mpg pulling a 5th wheel down the road to Florida. Coming back he only gets 10.7 mpg.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
yep.

And that aint so bad when diesil is lower than gas, but that aint happened in a long time sustainably.

He can pull the ass out of a goat 24-7.... but how often does he need to?

That's why I went back to gas for a while here.

Something clever here.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I am currently on my way to becoming a master diesel tech. I don't care who says what about my friends truck this my friends truck that blah blah blah. It all comes down to a few things when MPG is involved. GEARS....Gear ratios can make or brake millage, Driving habbits if they suck so does your millage, Fuel filters and Air filters keep em clean and fresh.

Do eary year Duramax (GM/Isuzu have injector problems yes LB7 LLY engines are known for them. Once they are swapped to an aftermarket part the truck is good to go.

Do Ford (International) 6.0 and 6.4 have their fair share of injector and egr and turbo related problems....YUP. Ford is going to TRY and make it better with the Scorpion.

Do your 5.9 6BT Cummins have known issues with bad diaphrams in the injection pumps....sure do. Does the 6.7 Cummins have a its problems, yup engine oil being diluted with with diesel fuel.

They all have problems they all have potential to get decent millage, your better bet is duramax or cummins in my opinion. These two engines are a stronger design that the 6.0 or the 6.4 Ford, not to say the Ford's have BAD diesels its just not as strong a design. If you don't believe it pick up a diesel power mag....both Duramax and Cummins can be built up to and over 1000 HP with aftermarker products. The Ford 6.0 and 6.4 Internationals can't really reach those numbers...but we will see what happens with the Scorpion engine.

"If we could somehow bottle the Brittany's energy and spirit, we'd solve most of the world's problems, if not all of them"

"People who drink light "beer" don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by northern_dave
yep.

And that aint so bad when diesil is lower than gas, but that aint happened in a long time sustainably.

He can pull the ass out of a goat 24-7.... but how often does he need to?

That's why I went back to gas for a while here.

Pulling a moderate trailer in MN/WI, etc. isn't a big deal with a gas motor, but it's a different story once you start hitting the hills anywhere. Once you start upping the elevation, even in SD the gas motors really start to show their weaknesses (my opinion).

It is a joke that diesel is as high or higher at the pump than premium un-leaded. Up near the Cities two weekends ago diesel is/was 3.49 a gallon. Still around 3.09-3.19 out this way.

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It cost money to extract sulfur out of diesel (Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel).

But that still doens't make alot of scents on why it is so high priced because refineries that extract sulfur from diesel make a profit on the extracted sulfur?

"If we could somehow bottle the Brittany's energy and spirit, we'd solve most of the world's problems, if not all of them"

"People who drink light "beer" don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Metsamies

But that still doens't make alot of scents on why it is so high priced because refineries that extract sulfur from diesel make a profit on the extracted sulfur?

They charge it because they can. It has nothing to do with what it costs to make.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have never encountered any problems pulling moderate loads in the Ozark Mountains and anybod who has been down here knows that these are steep long hills especially from Nixa to Harrison Arkansas etc.

My Superduty F-350 V-10 just walks the dog pulling 5,000 to 8,000 pounds. On flatland you don't realize you got that weight behind you, hills sort of ring the doorbell on a long grade at 65Hwy. Gas is 35 cents a gallon cheaper than diesel fuel and easy to come by most anywhere. If I really need to pull a house down the road, I'll just turn Ole Bull loose with it's 410 gears and that 7.3 oil leaking Ford, will simply roll on down the road without a care in the world.

Last edited by Tonk; 11/25/10.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Metsamies

Do eary year Duramax (GM/Isuzu have injector problems yes LB7 LLY engines are known for them. Once they are swapped to an aftermarket part the truck is good to go.

First year LB7's had injector problems. They were improved. I know a bunch of guys with LB7's who are very happy. And the LLY is not "known" for injector problems because it doesn't have them.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
GMC Z82 , best truck I have had yet

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The computer on my '08 2500 DMax says 15.8 mpg...has a Banks SL tuner, Banks air box and Banks duals...3.73s....265/70/17 Duratracs....

Drive 40 miles of back roads to work daily and 240 miles of highways on weekends to camp...rarely tow....or run the SL...

Don't think the tuner has done anything for the mileage.....rarely have it above the 1 setting....about all it does is tell me the EGT and when the DPF is doing its thing....

BTW, no more Banks tuners for me....their service is the worst....

Life's too short to smoke cheap cigars....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by balltownbob
The computer on my '08 2500 DMax says 15.8 mpg...has a Banks SL tuner, Banks air box and Banks duals...3.73s....265/70/17 Duratracs....
BTW, no more Banks tuners for me....their service is the worst....

Computer mileage isn't accurate and with a chip whatever it says is meaningless. Hand calculate, you're probably doing a lot better than that.

I ran Edge/Attitude for a few years and liked it fine. They now have one that gives more power than what I had. The absolute best for a DMax is EFI Live. And I believe there's a DSP5 switch available now for an LMM and that's definitely the way to go.....5 tunes on the fly.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Come to think of it, the computer has been stuck on 15.8 since I put the tuner in......duuuuuuuuuuuuuh......while I am not hung up on MPG it would be nice to know what it's getting...

EFI Live's service has to be better than Banks'....

Life's too short to smoke cheap cigars....
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You're lucky. If I boost the power in my 6.0 it'll blow the headbolts off.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
I have driven dodge diesels for 15 years, those claiming over 20mpg are mostly full of it unless they are keeping it at a steady 60mph, which out west where I live no one drives that slow.

I know most people don't get that good, but a few do. I have one buddy that bought a new one, single cab. long bed, manual tranny. I would have to guess at the year but probably just prior to common rail injection.

We got 26 mpg on one trip and drove 65 most of the time. This was a 700 mile tour of AZ.

A current buddy has an 04 and was driving daily from Tucson to Florence and a fueled with him multiple times. He was getting 22 mph and ran 70.

My 2000 F250 long bed crew used to get about 18. When this new crappy ultra low sulfur stuff came out I lost about 2 mpg.

I rarely crack 17 anymore. 600,000 and going strong.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I got my first dodge diesel in 1989. Got a tad over 22 on the open highway, unloaded. Auto trans, 3.08 rear end. It wouldn't go much over 65.
My present dodge is an 06. Manual box, and standard rear end, (3.89 ?). I live in the mountains, so I get just under 18 on the current low sulfur fuel. With my fully loaded, 10 ft. Lance Camper, and towing my Jeep, it gets about 13.7 at 60 mph on flat highways. E

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

98 members (338reddog, 14idaho, 01Foreman400, achlupsa, 35, 41rem, 3 invisible), 1,557 guests, and 835 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,323
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.