Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
antlers Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Do any rifleman here shoot a David Miller Marksman or Classic? I've read a lot about the rifles he builds, especially from Craig Boddington. Seem to be top notch...and top dollar too.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Closest I got was buying and reading Tom Turpin's book Mastery of Wood & Metal; David Miller Co. wink

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
That didn't convince you to buy a couple? smile

Last edited by doubletap; 12/23/10.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Beautiful rifles! Way out of my pocket book range.
Butch

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by HunterJim
Closest I got was buying and reading Tom Turpin's book Mastery of Wood & Metal; David Miller Co. wink

jim

+1

NRA Life Benefactor Member
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The closest I have come is looking at them at his booth at the SCI convention in Reno Nevada. Last January he had about 10 of his rifles displayed at his booth. Really didn't want anyone picking them up and looking at them though (unless you indicated you wanted to buy one).

They are very lovely rifles for sure. But underneath all that beauty lies a very common Model 70 Classic action.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I live in Tucson and have visited Dave's shop many times. Kurt Crum and Dave Miller are great guys. There is much more to their rifles than what one can see from the outside. Those "very common classic model 70 actions" are actually their design. They were commissioned to create the modern CRF model 70s. They get their actions in the white and do their thing to them. They use their trigger, floorplate and guard. The actions are trued and reworked to perfection. I have personally seen the interesting jigs and fixtures they use for some of the custom work. Some really interesting stuff.

Three things that I have not heard of or seen elsewhere are: different heat treatments of the two pcs on the cocking mechanism for better wear characteristics, a special very tiny floorplate locking lever preventing the floorplate from ever opening during recoil (a feature on their dangerous game rifles) and the way they attach the grip cap. They have a threaded stud that is attached to the grip cap and piece that fits into the stock from inside. It pulls the stud and cap up and into place making a clean yet strong way to hold the grip cap in place.

The custom scope mount is the very stout yet stunningly beautiful.

The bottomline? Their rifles are very reliable yet beautiful.
Enough said.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I could live happliy ever after with a triple play from them in 22-250AI, 300 H&H and 375H&H. Wonderful guns, exceedingly well thoughtout and executed.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here's something to tease you guys with.

TT

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Hi Tom,

Bet you could fill this thread with many pages with your pics of Miller rifles. We met at Pima pistol club when you Dave and Curt were there. I have one of your books Dave had you sign for me, never thanked you.

Ross

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I've read articles about Miller's rifles in Precision Shooting, The Varminr Hunter, Rifle Shooter...probably every magazine I've read. I read Mr. Miller's passion was Coues deer hunting, and he finally got tired of taking sub-par (to him) rifles afield and decided to build his own to hunt Coues with.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Could never see myself taking one of those out and huntin hard with it. They are beautiful to look at though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tsquare
Here's something to tease you guys with.

TT

[Linked Image]

Wow! True works of art by one of the great masters.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
RdFinn,

There is a rifle you would take to the field. It is called the Marksman. It has a laminate stock and more subdued metal work, a workhorse long range hunting rifle. Favorite chambering is the 300 Weatherby.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Azshooter,

This rifle with its uncheckered laminated stock is not that attractive to me.

[Linked Image]

It looks heavy with the weakness of wood. If I had a 'custom' rifle made up with a 'wood' stock it would be fine walnut. In fact thats what I like.

Also the fluted barrel is of no advantage, it just costs more. I see holes in the end of its barrel, perhaps a brake? I don't want brakes on my rifles either.

To each his own and that rifle is one that I have no room in the safe for.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
antlers Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
By gosh, I'd have room in my safe for it! That laminated wood stock makes it impervious to the elements like a synthetic...with the feel of real wood. 300 Weatherby, 6.5-20 Leupold w/AO, that stud one piece base/bottom ring half mount, fluted barrel to lighten it some while maintaining stiffness, and the other things Miller does to em' truly does make it a workhorse long range hunting rifle that I'd love to have...just can't swing the coinage. What does it start at...about 30 grand?

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Azshooter,

This rifle with its uncheckered laminated stock is not that attractive to me.

[Linked Image]

It looks heavy with the weakness of wood. If I had a 'custom' rifle made up with a 'wood' stock it would be fine walnut. In fact thats what I like.

Also the fluted barrel is of no advantage, it just costs more. I see holes in the end of its barrel, perhaps a brake? I don't want brakes on my rifles either.

To each his own and that rifle is one that I have no room in the safe for.

Betting Dave Miller is right sad to hear that. I do hope he can find work when he closes his doors....

Me

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The Marksman I showed is one of many variants but it shows the basic theme. Dave told me he has many orders into the future. It is not my place to say how far. Many of the orders are repeat customers. I am sure TT could add to this.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I remember reading about those many years ago. Seems some folks here don't like laminates, but I'm not one of them. I'll bet those aren't cheap.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can't afford to own any DM rifles, but I've met both Miller & Curt Crum at shows & seen some of their work 1st hand.

All I can say is that it's impeccable.........I don't think anyone really does it better but everyone's taste is unique.

MM

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1936M71, 160user, 1234, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 007FJ, 61 invisible), 2,368 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,532
Posts18,491,227
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.