-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have been a fan of the 760/7600 for many years and have owned three of them. My current one is a 30-06 carbine that is very accurate, shooting MOA (3 shots) with remington corelokts and even better with various handloads.

I am a left-hand shooter (and proud of it grin). Recently a fellow at the range told me I was crazy to be shooting this rifle left-handed and that a case rupture would blow my face off. I know that the bolt lockup on these rifles is probably not as solid as a bolt action and I suspect any gas would blow out the ejection port right by my face.

I have run my handloads up to max in these rifles with no issues but generally run a few grains below because that is where the rifle shoots best. My go to load (3006) is 57 grains IMR 4350 (3.3 in OAL, cci 200 primers) with a 165 hornady btsp. I use rem or win brass and don't do anymore than 5-6 firings before changing the brass. I am sure I could get even more loadings as the primer pockets are still tight and I rarely have to trim.

Anyway, has anyone ever had a case rupture in a 7600? Am I taking a big risk by shooting left hand with this type of gun. Would really appreciate your input.

Thanks

Colin

"I am at heart a meat hunter."
John Barsness, The Life of the Hunt
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Believe him. I am a left hand shooter and used to like 760's, BLR's etc, until I had a one come apart on me. Took the end of my right thumb off, thank God I was wearing safety glasses or I would be blind in my right eye or worse. Had several pieces of metal enter my face and neck, one that actually went in my jugular vein and ended up being lodged in my heart, only angioplasty saved me from open heart surgery.

Now I ONLY shoot left hand bolt action rifles.

NRA Patron Member.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Wow, that's scary. Do you mind sharing what happened?? Was it lh 760? I would love to hear the particulars.....

I had a 38 special let go on me once with due a carelessly double-charged case. But that was at the end of my arm and resting on a sandbag. I have never had a problem with rifle loads, but the mere thought of one detonating next to my head is very, very scary.

You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am not at liberty to discuss the exact gun, but note that it was a rotating locking bolt design that works on a cam. It was determined that the cam was only allowing about 40-50% of the locking lugs to engage.

I was practicing firing offhand and as my arms are not real long my thumb was over the end of the ejection port, that was how my thumb was damaged. The rest of my injuries were from all the pieces of metal blowing out the ejection port. If I would have been right handed I would have probably been uninjured, thus my preference for guns designed for lefties.

NRA Patron Member.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Gone_Huntin; Thanks for sharing that. I'm lefthanded and have wondered about having a RH rifle come apart on me so I just don't shoot them as much as I used to. I've gone more to LH bolts and some others in LH or SS. My concerns started years ago because of an old RH bolt 22 that I got when I was nine. It got so worn that it spit stuff back in my face sometimes when I shot it..so I quit. I just keep it because I got it when I was nine, but should probably destroy it.

It wouldn't surprize me to see Remington and others not offer a lefthand stocked version of their autos and pumps anymore.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
You can buy a left handed version - they just don't carry them in Cabella's or Walmart.

There will always be one idiot that loads their own shells that puts the wrong powder in the shells.
Or another idiot that puts oil down the barrel to keep it from rusting, only to have it explode when they go to shoot it because they forgot to clean the barrel before they fired it.

I have a 760 that will blow open sometimes when you shoot it and I have seen others that will blow open when you shoot it, but I have never seen a factory stock 760 Gamemaster 30-06 shooting Remington Core Locts ammo that had failed.

Sorry - but this is all too hard to believe.
Even if someone posted some pictures of their war wounds I still wouldn't believe it.

I'm like Doubting Thomas - show me your thumb and show me the rifle and let me examine it and then I will believe you.
Even then - I would want the exact rounds you were shooting when the accident happened.
Chances are the problem was not due to the bolt not locking up - but to some sort of human error.
The trigger determines when the action is closed and will not let you squeeze the trigger until the action is closed and as long as it is closed there is no way for it to come open until after the trigger is pulled - which by that time the bullet is already out of the barrel and all that is left is the spent gases.

The barrel can be machined and moved back if there is too much clearance - to the point of where the action blows open, or the trigger group can be exchanged for another one if it is at fault.
But I have never seen a factory stock 760 - 7600 blow up with factory ammo.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No disrespect sir, you can doubt whatever you want and think whatever you want. That is your OPINION.

I was there, have all the test results from an independent lab, everything was documented. Anything that was made by man can fail. Does that concept escape you, that something made by man could have a problem?

NRA Patron Member.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am asking about a case rupture. Where is the gas going to go?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
DQ; You state that lefthanded versions are available, just not at WalMart or Cabella's. The only thing lefthanded about those that I've seen are the stock's cheekpiece. The actions still eject out the right side...same side as a lefthanded shooter's face.
I'm not sure about the newer "lefthanded" Browning Automatics, but the Remington pumps and autos are what I'm talking about. If they ever made a true lefthanded 760, I'd own at least one.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Gone_Huntin
I am not at liberty to discuss the exact gun, but note that it was a rotating locking bolt design that works on a cam. It was determined that the cam was only allowing about 40-50% of the locking lugs to engage.

I understand you may not be at liberty to tell us the manufacturer of the rifle, but was it an AR-15 type rifle?

Islam is a terrorist organization.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BarryC
Originally Posted by Gone_Huntin

I understand you may not be at liberty to tell us the manufacturer of the rifle, but was it an AR-15 type rifle?

No it was not an AR type, nor was any type of an auto loader.

NRA Patron Member.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have seen an 1100 come apart, the right handed shooter suffered cuts on his left hand when the fore end let go. I went on a tear, buying left handed shotguns (1187, 870, Ithaca 37). I will shoot Mod. 12s and Mossy 500s. Unfortunately except for top eject lever actions and the lh BAR we lefties are in the cold. Oh and lh ARs to. I have left handed bolts, but it would be nice to see a pump set up for us, but I doubt the numbers exist to make it worth while. When I shoot right handed rifles (Marlin 1895, Savage 170, M1) I usually use factory shells or less than max hand loads.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the replies and PMs guys. I am surprised more people have not weighed in on this. I will continue to enjoy my 7600 but will continue to be careful with loads and brass life. My oldest son has already laid claim to this rifle (he is 12 and shoots right) so I will be carrying my lefty bolt most of the time.:)

Happy New Year!

Colin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Colin_Matchett

Anyway, has anyone ever had a case rupture in a 7600? Thanks

Colin

I've shot 760's, and 7600's from the wrong side for many moons with handloads and never had a problem. However, I rarely use brass over 3-4 firings. There's just no need to do so with the availability of brass for the calibers chambered in those models.

WN

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (10ring1, 160user, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 65 invisible), 2,612 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,476
Posts18,471,546
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.