Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Unfortunately I have never used any of those programs.
I have used JBM, Sierra, Atrag, and Field Firing Solutions and would like to try LoadBase. And JBM with Litz's G7 BC seems to be the most accurate for me. Then again I haven't shot at the distances you have though.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you go to a big 7mm or 338 it will surely be easier, but 2k is possible with your 6.5-284.
I have a 2K goal myself, but it will likely be tried with a 6.5 or 7mm.
They are more manageable for me than a big 338 for the way I shoot.
A buddy and I almost had kills just beyond 2K using a 30 cal case that had a little more capacity than the 300 Dakota.
But almost, is still empty-handed smile

Good luck in your endeavor.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Accuracy in a 6.5-284 will greatly diminish past around 1700 yards and at 2000 yards it has almost nothing left, under 1000 fps.. I would start absolute minimum with a big 7mm with high bc bullets for 2000 yards.

1 and done
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I am no expert but an interesting read is "Precision Shooting At 1000yds"

Two chapters are, "Ultra long Rang Shooting In Colorado"
The cartridges they use are .308AI with 220gr SierraMK, 264 win 155grSMK, 338Lapua 300grSMK.
Their goal is P.dogs at 2000+ yards. They make gong strikes at 3120yds and report of a p.dog being shot at 3125yds.
Scope bases are REALLY radical custom to account for the bullet drop of of nearly 900' at 3000yds. Heavy bullets are a good thing for spotting the misses at extreme range.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
RogerCox,
I would like to help you with your quest since I have been there done that, but I dont think this is quite the right forum to discuss it. the 24hr campfire is the home of the dumbfounded [bleep] tard that is not ready for this type of info. if you would like PM me or send me an e-mail I would like to help you out.

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Are you looking to hit a measured distance gong or really take a shot at a varmint of some sort? If this is unknown distances as in varmint hunting one of the hardest elements (they are all hard) is getting an accurate range.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Most of us, well, I don't have LRF that can reach that far (Beyond 1500 yards shooting at pd's on relatively flat ground), so I usually have an idea of distance because I will be shooting in a known area, and I know the general distances. Then it is fire, use a MIL or MOA Reticle to make corrections, and then I am off to the races.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
HR,
Agreed on the 6.5-284, but it can get it done-Sure not the ideal.
Sometimes you just work with what you have got grin
Agree on the 7mm comment as well.

Originally Posted by highridge1
Accuracy in a 6.5-284 will greatly diminish past around 1700 yards and at 2000 yards it has almost nothing left, under 1000 fps.. I would start absolute minimum with a big 7mm with high bc bullets for 2000 yards.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by boatanchor
RogerCox,
I would like to help you with your quest since I have been there done that, but I dont think this is quite the right forum to discuss it. the 24hr campfire is the home of the dumbfounded [bleep] tard that is not ready for this type of info. if you would like PM me or send me an e-mail I would like to help you out.

Just a question from someone browsing the forum more or less seeking out the crumbs of information from those who may have something of worth to offer. Where would one get proper, reliable hard copy information on how to shoot at distances this great? Short of getting the goodies from the military or being adopted by a long range guru where does one find the "manual" on how to shoot at these distances? I have done quite a bit of reading from different folks stating their prowess at making these shots and I have studied the physics at play such as spin drift, coriolus effect, etc., etc. Short of marching my fanny back to the war and signing up for sniper school is there a comprehensive manual for shooting way the hell out there? My intention is not to fire one across your bow, I'm just looking for some good reading that isn't penned from one's bragging in order to educate myself. I doubt I will ever have the need or find myself with enough open space to make a shot at or over 1,000 yards but I would like to read up on it and know I'm getting the straight scoop and not someones opinion so I can crawl my way out of the [bleep] quagmire in the near future. wink

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by EddyBo
If you put faith in the g7 form factor you theoretically could get there with a 90 berger and a 22-250 AI. But in the real world a 90 berger 22 cal will not get there launched at 3300 fps.

90 JLK and or Wildcat trump the berger and may do so by just enough... I know I can launch them at almost 2800 from a 223 and 20 inch tube...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by EddyBo
3200ish

Guess I'll have to go back to my data but IIRC I had some test data from my7x300 wtby that ran 180 bergers in the 3100 range... seems like the lapua would be burning a lot more powder to get 100 fps... but if its what you have to have to get there..

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by brinky72
Originally Posted by boatanchor
RogerCox,

Just a question from someone browsing the forum more or less seeking out the crumbs of information from those who may have something of worth to offer. Where would one get proper, reliable hard copy information on how to shoot at distances this great? Short of getting the goodies from the military or being adopted by a long range guru where does one find the "manual" on how to shoot at these distances? I have done quite a bit of reading from different folks stating their prowess at making these shots and I have studied the physics at play such as spin drift, coriolus effect, etc., etc. Short of marching my fanny back to the war and signing up for sniper school is there a comprehensive manual for shooting way the hell out there? My intention is not to fire one across your bow, I'm just looking for some good reading that isn't penned from one's bragging in order to educate myself. I doubt I will ever have the need or find myself with enough open space to make a shot at or over 1,000 yards but I would like to read up on it and know I'm getting the straight scoop and not someones opinion so I can crawl my way out of the [bleep] quagmire in the near future. wink

There is no writing on this that I"m aware of. I have not seen David Tubb's dvd on making a mile long shot on game though, I'd assume knowing David, that it has info in it.
Bottom line to it though, its much more of a get out there and do it thing, than anything you can write. Its kinda like overcoming knee high winds and winning consistently mental... lots of writing on that but until you do it enough that it all clicks, some of it seems out of reach.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
brinky,
1500 yard+ PD shooting for me is easier than field shooting or even 1k and or 1 mile BR comps whether from prone or bench position, in that when I am pd shooting I choose the time when I want to shoot, and for how long.
My goal is not a 5 or 10 shot screamer group but a hit on a PD.
I have not made a 2K+ hit on a dog yet myself, but I have made a couple beyond 1500 yards.
Here are some observations I have made about LR doggin:
http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/1500-yard-prairie-dogs-1.php
Like Rost said, it is a matter of getting out there and doing it.
To succeed, you must be willing to fail.
My equipment is better than it was back when Steve and I were out in the Eastern Colorado prairie.
Also, Steve is the one who wrote the articles for PS in their book on "Precision Shooting At 1000yds"

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rost I could prolly kick it up a notch, but 95grs WC872 with a 180 shoots too sweet to disturb. I am neck turning for that one and desire long brass life. I could probably run it 3350 with decent brass life, but 100fps is not worth making more brass, more often.

This is the second reincarnation of the only rifle I ever blew up. I was shooting through a chrono when I fired the shot that locked the other action. I fired one 180 berger 3600+ fps. I let a buddy borrow some powder and he left the jug he was using on the bench and placed the Jug I was using back on the shelf. Both look like those gallon bleach jugs, with different stickers. I touched off 95+ grs of 8208 behind the 180 berger. I think that pressures were in the 190K PSI range.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I remember that day Ern. 9 shots and it was done. 1590 and the handgun world record or so i assume. Nothing quite like spotting through the Big Eyes and watching the vapor trail go right into that dog. Something i'll never forget.
[Linked Image]

Here's another one beyond 1000 with a "handgun." Buddy Ray Prager got 2 PD's with 1 shot (after the 9th shot once again) this time with a custom Contender 5.6x57RWS/75 A-Max. These shots were just as fun to spot for--especially when he got both of them with one shot at that range--

[Linked Image]

These certainly help some if you're not the one on the gun--

[Linked Image]

For rifle stuff check out some of Gordy Gritter's stuff in the back issues of Varmint Hunter Magazine. He was also trying to get out to super long range using the 300 SMK.

Another good resource for this stuff is Kirby Allen over at longrangehunting.com.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I guess you would have to live in an area that was made up of wide open spaces and few people. The ONLY area I can think of in Michigan where one could take 1k+ shots on a regular basis would be in the winter on one of the Great Lakes. The Coast Guard can't even get the go ahead to do that. Short of going to a military base such as Camp Grayling after a confirmation fly over there is no other way to shoot that far here without your bullet quickly reaching it's demise to some very heavy lumber. I guess I'll just have to read about it and try to stretch the local farm fields as best I can. Enjoy.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Thanks to all who have posted.

A few so-called "friends" have opined that I am crazy, in fact one said "touched in the head," and that was the kindest thing said to me so far.

But - each post in this thread has either taught me something or initated some new or different line of thinking on my part. I am especially grateful to those who speak from the experience of attempting or hitting a p-dog at long range. I do understand shooting targets at 1,000 - but - I shot BR one season and that type of shooting activity is not for me.

Of course I would like to not buy or build a new rifle - this is gonna hurt...

Thanks

Roger

NRA Life

CRPA Life
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
416 Barrett. If I remember correctly, it has made kills out to 2500yds in a sniper role.

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Many things to consider shooting that far. Barrel longevity and cost are two big ones. You will be shooting quite a bit to get your rifle set up, then prairie dogs means lots of shooting, therefore cost. You could make the shot with most cartridges discussed here but the best is going to cost you. If you want the best in your hands start with a big 338. The 7mm's are very limited with BC for shooting at that range. Good to a 1000 but beyond that you need a true long range rifle. BC's for the 7mm are going to stop pretty much in the .6's, not enough. With the 338 you can go over 1.

Problem is the big 338's are not cheap to shoot but if you want the best that is where you are. The cheapest are the low end performers that use cheap remington brass. Those are the 338 RUM and 338-300 RUM. They can be built on standard magnum actions saving you a bundle. Both are going to average around 2800 fps with a 30" barrel and top accuracy loads using a 300 smk. Go with the standard cartridge there, why wildcat to give yourself more work for the same performance. But then you are going to run into problems at extreme range by running out of elevation.

The improved 378 wby case and 416 rigby case can get you into the 3100's fps and makes a much better extreme range rifle. Some versions of the 338 Lapua improved can get you to 3000 fps and is an excellent cartridge. Now that the 338 Excalibur brass is easily available from A-square and midway among others it is probably the best choice for extreme long range. It has slightly more case capacity than the improved wby and rigby cases and I shot one to 3200 fps with a 300 smk. It uses the same action as the 338 Lapua, 338-378 wby, etc. The excalibur is about all you can get before jumping up to the chey-tac case which is more dollars and weight. But the weight is a plus for your purpose.

Back to barrel longevity. I would not go to the chey-tac case because of barrel wear. The cartridge that can get you there with the least barrel wear and MOA is the 338 Excalibur. With 300 fps advantage over the ultramag based cartridges it will get there easier and further with your scope and rails. No 7mm is even in the same league with this cartridge.

If you wanted to just get there cheaply just to say you did it the 264 STW and 7mm STW do well for magnums. My 264stw shoots a .612bc 3400 fps. My 7stw shoots a .659 bc 3150 fps with 28" barrels. Cheaper still the 280 AI and 6.5-06 AI. I have the Gibbs and JRS designs which give you just a bit more. I left out the 7mm rem mag and 264 win mag because the blown out standard cases are essentially the same performance. Not enough to be worth the extra barrel wear, powder consumption and noise.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've shot to 2340 yards with a Barrett MRAD in .338 Lapua. That was at 7,000' ASL. I would consider .338 Lapua or similar rounds marginal at best beyond 1700y at less than 5,000' ASL. Can you get a bullet out that far? Sure. Might you eventually hit a p dog? Sure. To really do something (with something mildly resembling consistency) out at 2k you need something along the lines of a .416 Barrett, .375 Cheytac, .338 X-Treme, etc.

RLTW
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

379 members (12344mag, 16gage, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 44 invisible), 2,533 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,497
Posts18,490,467
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.