Hop To
P
Plinker Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Anyone here sell on CraigsList?

When I post an item with a price, I often get, "What's your lowest price?" WTF! Do people think that everything is intentionally over priced?

I also get out of area people responding to my ads. They want to know if I ever get to their city/county/state to deliver the item. Why don't they see where I'm located?

A friend told me not to say "Price is firm" or "Local pickup only" because I will not get any interest in my stuff. Is that right?

What are the "tricks of the trade" when selling on CraigsList?

GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I sell in CL all the time...matter of fact I sold my old 35" TV last night for $40.00

I usually just sell the stuff that people wont pay shipping for like on Ebay and usually its large items.

All else I put on Ebay.

I usually keep my prices pretty low to begin with and have never had anyone haggle and never had anyone ask me to deliver.

Another thing is I put my phone # in my ad and wont respond to emails as they are usually spam.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I got sick of the what is your lowest price guys so now I over price everything on craigslist and when they ask what my lowest price is I tell them the real price. They think they are getting a discount and I sell my item. As for delivery the answer is always no, they either pick it up or I will meet them somewhere locally. Mostly because the out of towners have a hard time believing someone would live on a dead end gravel road, so they can never find my house.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sell local, cash only, face to face and meet in a busy parking lot like Walmart or grocery store. It's also a good idea to have someone with you. Lots of evil folks watch CraigsList.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I've only done 2 things on craigslist. Some sports tickets and a golf bag. Bad thing is a guy emailed me on the golf bag and sent me a virus. The sports tickets sold just fine.
I do alot on ebay and some on the classified's here. Very good results with ebay and here.
I'd say with craigslist if you are trying for top dollar it could be a painful experience with lots of inquiries to deal with. Price it right...get it sold....then take it off craigslist.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Your friend gave pretty good advice.

Traffic and hits on your ad are the goal.

Just respond to the "lowest price" people with your lowest price. If it is the price you listed in the ad just say so.
As to the out of area people just respond that you'd be happy to sell the item to them but they are responsible for picking it up.

Good luck with your sales.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I tell them "My lowest price is the listed price until your standing in front of me with cash and want to make an offer....until then...."

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've only sold a few things on CL. I haven't gotten any "lowest price" requests, but what annoys me are the "Why are you selling?" responses because without fail they follow up with a "don't sell your stuff, we can give you a quick cash loan blah blah blah".

I did sell a 50cc dirt bike to a guy that lived about 130 miles away. We agreed to meet in a town 30 miles from me for pick up. I talked to him a couple of times on the phone first to get a feel for him and then took a friend with me. No problems.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sold lot of items on CraigList.

In most cases I research prices on like items, determine my asking price plus more. If and when an individual asks if the price is firm, I reduce my inflated price. People like to negotiate - no different then buying a vehicle. Give them the psychological satisfaction of buying for less.

Out of the area individuals have asked me to met them half way to view an item...no way. However, if purchase is made, I will entertain delivering the item to them for a fee.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Good advice so far.

I just sold a car on CL 2 hours ago that has a blown motor. I came home to find my inbox filled with more people wanting it. I spent 5 min. searching the asking prices for that model/year of car, & priced it where I thought it might get some hits. I'm now thinking I went too low, given that it had been listed for < 12 hours.

CL is just another marketplace. Build some haggling room into your prices, & protect yourself during the transactions. Also, be exceedingly honest in your postings - it'll separate you from everyone else immediately! I suppose that's why I like the Free Classifieds here so much...

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
P
Plinker Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Great idea to drop the email address from listings and just give my phone number. It will save me a lot of time.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

667 members (10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1eyedmule, 68 invisible), 3,261 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,380
Posts18,469,532
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.