Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I have a Marlin 30aw .30-30win that I have zero trust in. I have missed every deer I ever shot at with it! At the range, 3 and sometimes 4 m.o.a. is the best groups it will shoot. My Browning A-Bolt .300WSM, on the other hand, shoots 3/4 to 1.5 m.o.a. any day of the week. So, I know it's not all in my shooting abilities. With the Marlin, I have tried several different brands of ammo. Even the hornady leverevolution stuff. Is this just the norm for these guns, or can my gun be fixed? I really hate to get rid of it, but I don't see any reason to keep a gun that I am scared to shoot at a deer with.

Browning A-Bolt Hunter. 300WSM - Vais muzzle brake - 2lb Timney trigger - Gander Mtn. Black-T coating - Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-12x50 in Leupold rings and bases - custom scratch on stock from treestand.
GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Hi Justin; Three to four inch groups at 100 yards is about the best I can do with an iron sighted lever gun. Is your gun scoped? Perhaps you have a scope problem rather than a gun problem. Even with a good scope 3-4 m.o.a. isn't horrible. I'd be happy as the proverbial pig in excrement with 2 m.o.a. consistently. Still, I'm curious as to why you miss with the Marlin when it is only 2 1/2 inches less accurate than the Browning. Two to three inches shouldn't make the difference between a miss and a hit. Thanks; Mike

Leave the gun, take the canolis.
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I should have included that the gun is scoped with a 3-9x40 tasco and also, that the 3-4" groups are only the best I've ever gotten on paper, but not at all consistent. The next shot may jump a foot to the side or sometimes not hit the paper at all. True, the tasco is a cheaper way to go, as far as Scopes are concerned. Shouldn't be that bad though. I probably should just have it gone over by a really good gunsmith. A better scope may help too, but not until the gun is worth the investment.

Browning A-Bolt Hunter. 300WSM - Vais muzzle brake - 2lb Timney trigger - Gander Mtn. Black-T coating - Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-12x50 in Leupold rings and bases - custom scratch on stock from treestand.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Hi Justin; I like Tasco scopes too. Still it might be a good idea to swap scopes with a known good one. You can always move them back after the experiment. If it turns out to be the gun my best guess would be forearm pressure. Frequently the barrel band doesn't consistently keep even pressure on the barrel. Especially after it begins to heat up. The Savage 99 guys sometimes remove the forearm and shoot groups with only the receiver resting on the sand bag to eliminate the barrel/forearm stress from the equation. Once you get this worked out I'd bet you'll have an accurate little carbine. Keep us posted. Thanks; Mike

Leave the gun, take the canolis.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Justin, an easy way to see if it might be the scope would be to fire a group at 50 yards using the scope, and another one with the iron sights. If you do better with the irons, the scope is the culprit. That test won't cost you anything but a few rounds of ammo and a bit of time with a screwdriver.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
IC B2

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Soon as I get time, I'll try the scope from my A-Bolt out on it. Its a Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-12x50 that has proven it self very reliable on the. 300 WSM. As far as iron sight shooting, my gun is missing the little brass bead on the front sight. I must have knocked it off when hunting as a kid. I wonder if that ain't the only thing that got knocked off. Maybe I knocked off the accuracy too! Lol. Ill keep y'all posted on it for sure.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have owned many dozens of Marlin in many chamberings and have never had one shoot as bad as what you are describing. There is a first time for everything, but I am betting the culprit is the scope or the mounting system or both. A Marlin/Glenfield 30-30 in just about any configuration should be good for 2 MOA with ammo it likes and using a decent scope. Many will shoot in the MOA range and a precious few better than that.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Hopefully your right. Like I said, I've had this rifle since I was a kid. My dad bought it for my fourteenth birthday. Don't know why I've waited so long to really look into it, but I hope to be able to carry this gun afield one day and trust it to get the job done.......

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I also place my vote for something wrong with the scope or mount. Marlins are normally very consistant in the 2" at 100yds. Don't get rid of the gun, it is fixable. When you are taking off the scope, be sure and notice if there are loose screws in the rings, and also check the mount. It could also be loose. If there are loose screws, you may have found the problem. Wallacem in Ga

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My Glenfield carbine pictured above used to shoot 3 inch groups at 100 yards. Then I read Sam Fadala's book - Winchester's 30-30 and followed his instructions to relieve barrel pressure caused by tight barrel band(s). The results are outstanding!

Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
IC B3

N
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
N
What does the book say about barrel band tightness? I have a gun similar to the one above and have always wondered what the proper way to tighten the muzzle end band was.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Sounds like a scope MOUNT problem to me.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have a friend whose .35 Remington went crazy, turned out it was the muzzle. To much improper cleaning, messed up the crown, cheap easy fix. My money is on the scope, or maybe you might try a different brand of ammo.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 160user, 222Sako, 63 invisible), 2,305 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,136
Posts18,483,995
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.