T
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
You could resize it.
That small enough for you? grin

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by ironbender
I thought curdog4570 was referring to TRH's Hussein art.
Is the objection to the size of it?

I don't have an objection. I got tired of looking at it and adblocked it. No worries.

I posted what I did above as it seemed Bristoe thought curdog was directing *his* comment to him.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I know you're kidding, but I'm not the one complaining about it. I have no problems with it, just like I had none with the upside down flag, Bart's Hitler avatar, and several others that folks have complained about. Just making a suggestion.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The Searchers could have been a great film, but I always thought Wayne was the worst possible choice.

The thing about "The Searchers" is, as far as I know the most famous 1860's era guy riding out armed and alone against all odds into Comanche territory to recover lost children was a Black guy, technically a slave actually. I forget his name but famed Texas historian T.R.Fehrenbach gives a pretty good account, saying how on the Texas Frontier the guy was know as "N&gger Jim" something.

Ya I know Hollywood is Hollywood but what we get in "The Searchers" is a whitewashed version of a remarkable Texas epic. The way Fehrenback tells it, the Comanches, impressed by Jim's evident courage and purpose, didn't just up and kill him but actually helped him in his search. Jim going on to recover both his own and some of his (White) neighbors kids.

Largely because of his reputation, Jim was awarded a teamster contract in the 1870's to supply a Panhandle fort (I forget the name). Jim and two other teamsters were killed by Kiowas, the story has it that Jim's body was found lying behind his horse, which he had killed for cover in the classic Plains manner. A whole bunch of fired shells from his rifle surrounded his body, which lay unmolested, covered by a buffalo robe.

Leastways that is the way Fehrenbach tells it.

So John Wayne looking for Natalie Wood in heavy make-up (her, not him) is sort of a pale reflection of the remarkable original.

As for the True Grit remake, better in realistic grime and weapons IMHO, but not nearly the ENTERTAINMENT that the first one was.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I did not see the original "True Grit" as I am not a John Wayne fan, so I can not compare this new release or version to the original.

Wife and I saw the re-make "True grit" the other day. Both of us were bored. It was not the language or script that that we found especially tiresome, but how it was spoken. The characters sounded like they were reading the script from cue cards and without any emotion or feeling. Same with the acting.

The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
The Searchers could have been a great film, but I always thought Wayne was the worst possible choice.

The thing about "The Searchers" is, as far as I know the most famous 1860's era guy riding out armed and alone against all odds into Comanche territory to recover lost children was a Black guy, technically a slave actually. I forget his name but famed Texas historian T.R.Fehrenbach gives a pretty good account, saying how on the Texas Frontier the guy was know as "N&gger Jim" something.

Ya I know Hollywood is Hollywood but what we get in "The Searchers" is a whitewashed version of a remarkable Texas epic. The way Fehrenback tells it, the Comanches, impressed by Jim's evident courage and purpose, didn't just up and kill him but actually helped him in his search. Jim going on to recover both his own and some of his (White) neighbors kids.

Largely because of his reputation, Jim was awarded a teamster contract in the 1870's to supply a Panhandle fort (I forget the name). Jim and two other teamsters were killed by Kiowas, the story has it that Jim's body was found lying behind his horse, which he had killed for cover in the classic Plains manner. A whole bunch of fired shells from his rifle surrounded his body, which lay unmolested, covered by a buffalo robe.

Leastways that is the way Fehrenbach tells it.

So John Wayne looking for Natalie Wood in heavy make-up (her, not him) is sort of a pale reflection of the remarkable original.

As for the True Grit remake, better in realistic grime and weapons IMHO, but not nearly the ENTERTAINMENT that the first one was.

Birdwatcher

Is this story contained in Lone Star? the book is residing on a shelf about four feet from where I type. I've never heard it before and I would put myself up against nearly anybody here where Texas history is concerned. I would like to read it.

Have you read the Alan LeMay novel? Have you read The Unforgiven, also by LeMay?

I agree quite a bit with your assessment of the two True Grit's. I did a separate thread, as this one was long gone and the search function has never worked well for me. Maybe I can find mine in my posts rather expediently.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/4795287/True_Grit#Post4795287

There is a link to my comments. I would rate them both as equals. The very next day the old version was on so a comparison was easy. I still don't understand why the Coens left out certain things that enriched the other movie so much. Perhaps to set a more somber tone?

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

422 members (160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 2500HD, 1lesfox, 36 invisible), 2,060 guests, and 1,095 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,090
Posts18,501,862
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.