Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I�m in need of a deer rifle in 7mm-08 that sports a synthetic stock and stainless steel parts (I live in the PNW!). I think I�ve narrowed my choices down to the Browning X-Bolt Stainless Stalker, Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather and the Savage 16 FCSS Weather Warrior.

It will be used for whitetails in large hay fields, mule deer and pronghorn in the sage, blacktails in the coastal rainforests and the occasional cow elk.

My overriding concern for this rifle is that it be accurate right out of the box with factory ammo. I don�t really want to do much aftermarket work on it, and I won�t hand load, so this is the most important factor in my selection. Number two would be a good trigger.

Which of these three is most likely to be a good shooter and not too finicky about factory fodder? Am I missing the boat on another rifle (I�m not interested in Tikka)?

Last edited by seattlesetters; 01/10/11.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Brownings have always faired well with factory ammo. From what i've read and been told, the new Savages and Winchesters do too.

Pick the rifle that fits you the best and start shooting it. It will take practice to realize the accuracy potential of all 3.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
It's a matter of personal preference, as all three are great rifles that will last a lifetime and more, that being said the X-bolt stainless would be my pic here............Good luck.................Hillbilly.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
My X-Bolts shoot better than my Sako's and Tikka. They even shoot better than some of my heavy barrel target guns. Whatever they do to those barrels works....

IMO fit and finish is better than the other options listed too.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I'd probably go with the Model 70, though all three are very good rifles. The Savage should be a few hundred less, if that matters to you. That money could be put toward even better glass.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Alex38
The Savage should be a few hundred less, if that matters to you. That money could be put toward even better glass.

The glass will be the same regardless of the rifle selected.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've heard really good things about Browning's out-of-the-box accuracy and their fit & finish. However, for the life of me I can't seem to find them getting any love here or in many other forums.

Is it possibly because of their foreign manufacture? Is there something "bad" about them that I'm just not finding on the 'net?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
my bud has a s/s browning and is well satisfied. i've had the win and it is a great rifle as well. never had a savage s/s, but what i hear about them is good stuff. it seems to me any one of the three would do what you want. were i you, i'd select the one that felt best in my hands and at my shoulder. good luck with your choice.

keep in mind most folks who post here are rifle nuts, so they are always trying to "improve" something so the rifle more closely meets their needs/desires. not so the hunting public. the vast majority just buy a rifle and go hunting. the rifle you select (out of the three mentioned) will be ready to hunt right out of the box.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by seattlesetters
I've heard really good things about Browning's out-of-the-box accuracy and their fit & finish. However, for the life of me I can't seem to find them getting any love here or in many other forums.

Is it possibly because of their foreign manufacture? Is there something "bad" about them that I'm just not finding on the 'net?

It's because the bolt has a lozenge on the end of it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I don't believe there is a cover up among Browning owners to conceal flaws, LOL. The only complaint I've heard voiced about the rifles is the trigger may freeze in really cold, wet environments (coastal hunting).

I know a guide in B.C. that has run one for close to 20 yrs and he has never encountered this problem. He runs grease in his triggers though.

Some people don't like the fact that it's made in Japan or the cosmetics, which are valid reasons to buy something else, but you hear very little complaints on actual function and accuracy from those who have actually owned and shot them.

My family and I have owned over 20 A-bolts over the years and they have all served us well. If they were junk, we wouldn't buy them.

Again, buy what fits you and feels best in the hands. All 3 rifles will give you good service.

JM

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I vote browning. Though not an x bolt, my abolt has outshot every other rifle I've owned in terms of accuracy and never let me down in the field.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Though any of the three will serve you well, but to my mind the only choice for me is the M70 EW.

NRA Benefactor member
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My pick would be a Ruger Hawkeye, but out of the 3 I would pick the Winchester.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Emptyhanded
My pick would be a Ruger Hawkeye, but out of the 3 I would pick the Winchester.

I had the Ruger on my short list but it doesn't seem to enjoy quite the reputation of the other three for out of the box accuracy or for a nice factory trigger. I do like the rifle, though..

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The Hawkeye is getting great reviews and has a good trigger. Are you sure your aren't crossing you reviews with the older M77 Mark II.

Whatever a 7x57 can do a 270 can do better.

True fair chase is you in the woods buttnaked with nothing but your finger nails and teeth.

If you'e fixin' to put a hole in something, make it a hole to remember.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Ruger would be my choice also

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I only have one Hawkeye so my resource pool is rather small, but my .358 Win Hawkeye is MOA with a crisp trigger. I would quickly buy another one based on the one I own. I have several Savages and they all shoot good, but I really like the Hawkeye models.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I do have an affinity for the Hawkeye All Weather in .338 Federal. That would be a sweet little sub-300 yard sledgehammer.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Extreme weather for me too please. Why isn't the marlin XS7S on the list. You could buy 2 for less than what one EW would cost, they have a great track record when it comes to accuracy too.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=210181029
Judging by your discription of what you are looking for, I think the Marlin is right up you alley.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=210664568

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Alex38
The Savage should be a few hundred less, if that matters to you. That money could be put toward even better glass.

The glass will be the same regardless of the rifle selected.

If they money isn't an issue, then I'd say Model 70. I like the Browning, and every Browning I've owned has been a very good firearm, but the new SC made Model 70's are darn nice rifles. I'd take the Browning over a NH made Model 70 though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 163bc, 1minute, 06hunter59, 204guy, 62 invisible), 2,649 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,592
Posts18,473,455
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.