Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Lslite Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Anyone have one in .22mag ? Useful carry gun or gimicky toy ?

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have one. It makes a great gun to carry when your not carrying a gun....
I carry mine in the summer, it will disappear in a shorts pocket and it makes a great fishing pistol when loaded with rat shot. If I had my choice I would rather have more gun but there are those times when you cant and the NAA 22 mag is better than a rock.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have one ,it's fun to play with,but it's not a gun to choose for a primary carry.If it's all you have...Any gun is better than no gun at all.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Lslite
I have one in long rifle and think it's quite a bit more useful than an empty hand or even a sharp stick.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have NAA 22 Mag that I carry all the time. I also carry an assortment of other full size 9mm's, 40's, etc. but if my pants are on my NAA is with me. That said, it's only an option when I have nothing else to go to. But rest assured, a man with a 22 magnum and 5 rounds can get the attention of any knife welding bandit. Sure he may close the distance and slice me but he'll do so with a couple holes in him and then we can fight it out hand to hand. I like my odds with him venting a bit prior to our knuckle busting than not.

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Not a toy.

Mine is used primarily for snake-shot.

- Tom

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have one with both 22LR and 22mag cylinders. About the smallest gun you can carry. I find it good for pocket carry.

L
Lslite Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Thanks for the info guys.I've been offered one at a very good price and I think I'll buy it.Should be just the thing for summer carry in the Texas heat when my normal gun sits at home or in the truck.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

I do like them and think they're quite novel. I would very much appreciate one as a gift ... But I'll never buy one.

I've got some nifty knives that I would be much more comfortable carrying - than that little wood-tick pistol.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I carry one daily. Figure it might buy me enough time to get to a real gun. Check out stellar holsters. They make a neck holster thats super.

Fred

Fourth Generation Border Rat
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by azrancher
I carry one daily. Figure it might buy me enough time to get to a real gun. Check out stellar holsters. They make a neck holster thats super.

Fred
Yeah, I think I've been to his site before. Cool stuff.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Lslite,
I knew an undercover cop who carried one. I bought one in 22 lr because the magnum is hard to hang onto when firing it. I use CCI Stingers in mine. Not very powerful but at handshaking distance maybe better than a thumb in the eye. I would shoot for the eyes if against an attacker. You can hide it anywhere that is the good thing about them.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I have one in long rifle and think it's quite a bit more useful than an empty hand or even a sharp stick.

x2, I had to carry one at work for a while because it was absolutely necessary that any firearm I carried not be found out. Id say its better than nothing. If you understand its limitations, it should serve well for its intended purpose.

Last edited by warpig602; 01/13/11.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pretty much decided to get one here the last few days. A couple questions:

Which one to get? This gun will be for pocket carry, camp gun, tackle box gun, impromto plinkin if possible with such a small gun, etc. I know it's limitations for SD and considering I've walked around for over 40 years with nothing more than a pocket knife I think I'll manage. Due to the want of plinkin I'm looking at the longer barrel guns.

Possibilities:
The 3" Earl
4" Earl
2" Black Widow
4" Mini Master

I'm worried the 4" guns will be too long for decent pocket carry (sure it can be done but how well?). Are any of the NAA's good enough for pop cans out to say 25 feet?

What say you?

CB

BTW, has anybody corno'ed these with magnums and various LR's?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Chris Brice
Pretty much decided to get one here the last few days. A couple questions:

Which one to get? This gun will be for pocket carry, camp gun, tackle box gun, impromto plinkin if possible with such a small gun, etc. I know it's limitations for SD and considering I've walked around for over 40 years with nothing more than a pocket knife I think I'll manage. Due to the want of plinkin I'm looking at the longer barrel guns.

Possibilities:
The 3" Earl
4" Earl
2" Black Widow
4" Mini Master

I'm worried the 4" guns will be too long for decent pocket carry (sure it can be done but how well?). Are any of the NAA's good enough for pop cans out to say 25 feet?

What say you?

CB

BTW, has anybody corno'ed these with magnums and various LR's?
I know mine is no fun to plink with, that's for sure. Not enough accuracy at any reasonable ranges. Sights are near useless. Just designed for point shooting out to maximal range of about seven yards, and even then the spread is going to be shotgun pattern-like. Here's mine. I've had it since about 1988.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Chris:

Frankly, I think you're looking for a compromise that isn't going to do any of those things very well.

Mine is the .22 mag with the 1 5/8" barrel. I don't put a big grip on it. It's strictly stock, and as such it will ride along in a pocket (pants, jacket or shirt) taking up hardly any room at all. Which is the entire point of these little revolvers, IMO.

My belief is that if you feel the need to put a bigger grip on it, or a longer barrel, you might just as well forget the NAA mini revolver and get either a S&W kit gun or a Ruger Bearcat.

I consider them to be a belly gun, and useful for that. And peppering snakes. Not for plinking though, unless the novelty and the noise are good enough.

YMMV, of course.

- Tom

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by tjm10025

Chris:

Frankly, I think you're looking for a compromise that isn't going to do any of those things very well.

Mine is the .22 mag with the 1 5/8" barrel. I don't put a big grip on it. It's strictly stock, and as such it will ride along in a pocket (pants, jacket or shirt) taking up hardly any room at all. Which is the entire point of these little revolvers, IMO.

My belief is that if you feel the need to put a bigger grip on it, or a longer barrel, you might just as well forget the NAA mini revolver and get either a S&W kit gun or a Ruger Bearcat.

I consider them to be a belly gun, and useful for that. And peppering snakes. Not for plinking though, unless the novelty and the noise are good enough.

YMMV, of course.

- Tom
The grip that came on mine was next to useless, which is why I put the bigger ones on.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tjm10025

And peppering snakes.

My twin brother bought a .22 mag. We were both shocked that we could not hit a paper plate at 5 yards! I was tempted to put the palm of my hand over the bbl to see if anything was coming out.

As much as I like snakes, I don't want to be close enough with this gun to score a hit with anything else other than shot cartridges.

No value as a plinker etc. It would be like going golfing with a square ball. Slightly fustrating.

Only value is it's tiny size. If a car-jacker jumps in the seat next to you and you touch his temple with it, he might select a different vehicle.

Back to the "any gun better than no gun"

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer but how he hunted it.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The new top break 22 Mag model seems to be a significant improvement to the original.

Should be much faster and easier to reload.

They are small enough that I would always have one with me.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The new top break 22 Mag model seems to be a significant improvement to the original.

Should be much faster and easier to reload.

They are small enough that I would always have one with me.

GunBlast has a review of the ne model

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (BALLISTIK, 6mmbrfan, 907brass, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,474 guests, and 942 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,219
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.