#48229 01/21/02
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Hello everybody at 24 hr camp fire
<br>
<br>Once Rick got me squared away with my pass word I was able to log in. I know .22s but not websites, still working on that. about four years ago we started a new shooting sport called top gun challenge at Ft. Polk La. to teach GIs how to shoot, it kinda grew from that. Normally you see me on Marlin Talk, but today campfire. I will try to answer a few 22 questions and learn a little in the process.
<br>
<br>

GB1

GBB Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Hi John!
<br>
<br>Seems we both found our way out of the mud puddle called "Marlin Talk". Oh, it's got a few posts at the moment, but don't blink! for awhile all the threads were back, fooled me. I started posting. fooled them, kept my posts in MS Word so as I can repost them if Marlin ever get's their S%&T together..
<br>
<br>I wish I had saved your "tips and tricks" - I hope you did!
<br>I'm going to read these threads now, I'll bring up Yahoo in case you come in.
<br>
<br>GBB

N
N
Morning!
<br>
<br>I just found out about the Marlin website. Thanks GBB for informing us about the new temp web site.
<br>
<br>Navasota Kid
<br>
<br>

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Hey guys Marlin contacted me and told me they were having trouble with the site. I'm sure they will get it fixed
<br>soon. In the mean time lets take some of this 22 brain power we are so famos for and see if we can help out some of these guys, might learn something too.
<br>
<br>Navasota see you this weekend in Lake Charles, shootemup YeeHaa.

John,
<br> Glad Ya'll found a place to visit While Marlin BB sorts out their Problems..
<br>Regards Nite}{awk

GOD Bless us All....Amen
IC B2

N
N
Morning John
<br>
<br>Actually, there will be two shootouts. One will be at Montana's Steak House on Pine street at 11:00am and the Pujo street cafe at 12:00pm.
<br>
<br>Happy Trails
<br>Navasota Kid laugh laugh

C
C
Looks like the Marlin Talk tribe has all strolled over here for a while. I hope all the Marlin Talk regulars find this place.
<br>Charles Cammack

Hi guys. Peashooter from the Marlin site coming on over. Hope you campfire members don't mind. I think you'll find us pretty easy to get along with!
<br>
<br>peashooter

#48237 01/22/02
Hey John, I made it here, I guess Marlin is having some problems?

A.K.A Squirlee
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
GENTLEMEN: EXCUSE A TIRED OLD SQUIRREL HUNTER FOR DROPPING IN. I FELT AWFUL LONELY OVER AT THE MARLIN SITE. A THOUSAND YEARS OF SQUIRREL HUNTING KNOW HOW JUST WENT OUT INTO CYBER SPACE! LUCK!

IC B3

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Do me a favor talk me out of commenting on the cover article about the Elk Hunter, I'v had a problem with bow hunters just for that reason. Frankly the right thing to do by the rules of fair chase would have been to give the young guy the elk, he made the first killing shot, however the the long trek involved in the recovery is typicle of what I have seen as a game warden in 4 states, a guide and a hunter for 42 years. I enjoyed the article myself as well written and articulate, but the situation woud have been better resolved another way.
<br>Bow Hunters and I have never agreed and the only thing that keeps me from eating them up alive in my articles is the fact I don't want to infrige on a legal hunting methods and means, or sound like an ati-hunter. This leaves me torn between two codes of ethics.

N
N
Morning John
<br>
<br>I lost my favorite squirrel Hunting spot because of the Bow Hunters, I did not renew my lease because I would have needed a 4Wheel Drive to get to the other spots on the lease.
<br>
<br>I now have a lease right behind my camp that I can hunt on.
<br>
<br>Could you repeat the information on the Team Top Gun Shoot that you had on the Marlin wire?
<br>
<br>Happy Trails
<br>Navasota Kid
<br>
<br>

GBB Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
HI John,
<br>
<br>Well, I have been reading some stuff on this board,
<br>some of these guys have been around the block a few times.
<br>More times then ME smile No New Smokes! Still a non-smoker just thought you would like to know - and I have not punched any one either!
<br>
<br>Some .22 stuff, who do you think just happened to check stock screw tightness and found BOTH of the SQs main screws loose. Yup, me! Torqued them down good - I wish Marlin did not use slotted screws - that's the worst! Think this might improve the SQs accuracy?
<br>
<br>More news, could not help but pick up an 882ss last night.
<br>Wallymart had it very cheep, WinMag, hmmm. So what can I do with a WinMag? laugh Bought a Bushnell "sportsman" model 4x12 AO. I know nothing about this scope, except it is larger then the Bushnell banner model that I have 2 of (same specs).
<br>Do you like the "sportsman/sportsview" scopes?
<br>
<br>What do you think of this plan? (Except, I've already done it)
<br>Moving the bipod from the SQ to the 882ss WM.
<br>Moving the silver BKL unitized scope rings and the matt finish Bushnell banner scope (mounted in it) to the 882ss.
<br>Mounting the new Bushnell sportsman and the new black BKL mount to the SQ.
<br>Going to sight them in at the range this evening.
<br>Wally mart thru in a box of CCI maxi-mags to boot...
<br>
<br>I hope things worked out with that gasoline shrimp dinner smile
<br>
<br>Talk to you soon,
<br>
<br>GBB
<br>

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Ok guys Im going to put the targets on one of my sponsors web sites tomarrow. My gun shop just got a new website so the top gun news letter,targets and all, local hunting and shooting news for La area will be on this site.
<br>
<br>Navasota Im going to handcarry your packet to you Saturday.
<br>
<br>GBB........................NO SMOKING..............................
<br>
<br>Ok I got GBB to quit smoking, the best thing he could do for himself. We all stand behind you at Top Gun.

N
N
Thanks John!
<br>
<br>See you Saturday!
<br>
<br>Navasota Kid

GBB Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
John,
<br>
<br>There is no place like home, Did the big M tell you when the M.Talk bord would stable again?
<br>
<br>I have been watching it - sor far it looks good..
<br>
<br>I got your envelope last night when I got in (11:pm.)
<br>
<br>I would have called, but did not have phone on me.
<br>
<br>I can't use the new 882ss it the top gun comp, can I?
<br>
<br>Lots to talk about, but getting a late start to work this AM
<br>
<br>I'll give you a call at the desk tonight.
<br>
<br>SQ hunters comming out of the woodwork, we may get this T.G. thing going around here after all.
<br>
<br>Still no cigs, getting a little easier. Thanks again.
<br>
<br>GBB

GBB Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
SQUACKS,
<br>
<br>REPLIED TO YOUR EMAIL THIS MORNING, THE IL VERSION OF THE NATIONAL SQUIRREL IS A GO! [FOR A LOT OF PEOPLE ANYWAY..]
<br>ANY LUCK ON RUNNING WATER?
<br>
<br>LATER,
<br>
<br>GBB
<br>

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I talked to the fed game warden yeaterday about the southern region squirrel hunt, no problem there. The only problem I ran into was with the tV cameras they are all broke. ft. polk tv station is down till the middle of Feb. but they will be on hand for the top gun match. the general is ticked off. oh well I do stuff the right way.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
GBB: THE CREEK FORM OF RUNNING WATER IS STILL RUNNING RIGHT PAST THE CAMPGROUND UNLESS THEY MOVED IT! THERE'S A WHOLE RIVER RUNS NOT FAR FROM THERE BUT THEY DON'T CALL IT "THE BIG MUDDY" FOR NOTHIN. THEN THERE IS THE MISS. RIVER AND THE OHIO AND NIETHER OF THEM TO FAR AWAY. I'D SAY THERE'S WATER RUNNIN PERT NEAR ALL OVER THE PLACE. I CAN'T FIGURE THIS FASCINATION YOU HAVE WITH IT. IT IS LOOKING LIKE BIRDBATHIN MORE AND MORE ALL THE TIME! JUST REMEMBER TO GIVE US ALL FAIR WARNING!

Last edited by SQUACKS; 01/24/02.
N
N
SQUACKS!
<br>
<br>I'm unable to attend the IL squirrel shoot, but sounds like it will be fun. I have to wait until John gets one organized down here in Louisiana.
<br>
<br>How far is it going to be from Quincy, IL?
<br>
<br>Navasota Kid

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
The Infamous BLACK DEATH CHALLENGE TARGET is now available for downloding by all you pilgrims. Set for proper mesurements, read the rules carfully, and then go nuts.
<br>
<br>
<br> www.stararchery.net

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I WOULD GUESS IT IS ABOUT 3-4 HOURS FROM QUINCY TO WOLF LAKE ILL. QUINCY IS ON THE MISS. RIVER BUT IT'S UP NORTH AROUND SPRINGFIELD.

N
N
Thanks Squack!
<br>
<br>I was just wondering how far it was from Bill Oglesby Cowboy Shoot.
<br>
<br>See ya'll later.
<br>Navasota Kid

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Hey everybody,
<br>
<br>24 hr Campfire, Marlin Talk, Team Top Gun, Marlin talk is being hacked by the anti-hunters, board wiped out again. about midnight

Seems that some people on the Marlin board have had problems getting the correct size on the Black Death Target when they print it out. The #10 target which is suppose to be 1/2" comes out about 3/8" with the rest of the targets being proportionally smaller than they should be. I made up some new targets that would print out the right size and posted links on the Marlin board but I made two mistakes with them. First I incorrectly stated Rule #1 that was on the target. The difference in terminology was enough to cause problems in competition shooting. The second was that I didn't include the trademark skull and crossbones (Jolly Roger) on the target. Both these issues have been taken care of and John has approved the final version for use until they get the problem with their target taken care of at Star Gun & Archery
<br>
<br>As far as I know, the Marlin board has been down since Monday night. John suggested I come here and post the new links in case any of the regulars from either the Marlin board or 24 Hour Campfire would be interested in it. If you want to try your hand at the Black Death Challenge then make sure to read the rules at the Top Gun Team site using this link - Rules for compeating in the Black Death Challenge . The target itself can be accessed and printed from this link - New Black Death Target . Make sure your printer is set to print at 100% and check the size of the circles to be sure they come out the right diameter. If they are too big then go to Original Black Death Target to try the original target for print size. Hope this helps someone to be able to test themselves and their rifle in this contest. Good luck and shoot safe.
<br>
<br>Tom
<br>

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Plinker Tom has distinguished himself, by going out of his way to improve The Black Death Challenge Target in order to improve the marksmanship of the people United States of America. We must never be allowed to falter in this endevour as markmanship is the basis of our military, and a somber warning to those who would infiltrate our American heritage, we are an armed nation, of sharpshooters. With this little game we get better.

Thanks Tom.
<br>So John is this Target Official?
<br>Nit}{awk

GOD Bless us All....Amen
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Yep, old Plinker Tom got us on the right track. You can allways check a Black Death target measurement by putting a dime on the 5 ring, that will measure perfect .75" dia circle. How do you like the new Jolly Roger, he really pisses everybody off good. A lot of people shoot him first. Just don't do it during a formal match.
<br>
<br>The proper way to have a Black Death match is to use 2 targets with a 15 minute time limit. The left target is used for zero, and you can use a many shots as needed.
<br>The right target is used for record, use only 5 shots on that one.
<br>
<br>If you score a 46 to 50 let me know at fptopgun@bellsouth.net, make sure you have a witness or e-mail me the target, and you go in the record book.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

262 members (222Sako, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 160user, 33 invisible), 1,733 guests, and 1,000 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,980
Posts18,499,594
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.