Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MtnHtr
Originally Posted by Brad

Another guy sectioned a 120 7mm NBT and tired to claim it had a heavier jacket than the 140 7mm NBT... they have the same jacket, he just ground past the halfway point showing the jacket at a thicker POV... too funny the BS people do.

Yep, the absurd BS some folks post. Who was the poster you are referring to?
MtnHtr

I think it's pretty much common knowledge that the 120NBT was designed with a heavier jacket than the standard B-Tip, to more effectively knock down steel targets shot by silhouette shooters in competition.

Selmer--thanks for taking the time to do your little experiment.

Last edited by yukonal; 01/23/11.

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

HR IC

N
ned Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by selmer

They did not provide any photos. I'm not sure if "they are the same bullet" refers to the two different 168 gr. offerings (BT and CTBST) or the 165 and 168 gr. bullets. I'll ask. grin

Did you ask?

Thanks,

ned

Ride well, shoot straight, and speak the truth.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Yukonal

I think it's pretty much common knowledge that the 120NBT was designed with a heavier jacket than the standard B-Tip, to more effectively knock down steel targets shot by silhouette shooters in competition.

Al,

Still waiting on Brad's link to the poster who does not know how to file down and compare jacket thicknesses, apparently he's an expert on 7mm bullets:

Another guy sectioned a 120 7mm NBT and tired to claim it had a heavier jacket than the 140 7mm NBT... they have the same jacket, he just ground past the halfway point showing the jacket at a thicker POV... too funny the BS people do.

Too funny the fluff some will post........

MtnHtr

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The only weigh to weigh a killing boolit's attributes,is to get them bloody.

The rest is fluff...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Perhaps Bradley needs a little help, after all he was around the campfire in '03:

Hey, Dogzapper, tell me about the 120gr 7mm Nosler BT

And the photo that was hung in that thread:
[Linked Image]

And the photo ACLakey posted of the 7mm BT 120 & 140 (far left):
[Linked Image]

Yep, too funny............

MtnHtr

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, I did ask specifically about construction and received a reply finally today. According to Nosler, and I quote "The 165 and 168 gr. .308" ballistic tips have the same jacket construction and thickness. The ogive has been slightly changed on the 168 gr. to make up the 3 gr. difference in lead, but the jacket construction is the same." From the horse's mouth.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Scenars boys,Scenars................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You ever run any out of the 300 Super? That would likely make a viable deer load..... (grin)

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I hear good things...............

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Scenars boys,Scenars................

why 155 Scenars over a 155 Amax?

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
BC Baby............

N
ned Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Yes, I did ask specifically about construction and received a reply finally today. According to Nosler, and I quote "The 165 and 168 gr. .308" ballistic tips have the same jacket construction and thickness. The ogive has been slightly changed on the 168 gr. to make up the 3 gr. difference in lead, but the jacket construction is the same." From the horse's mouth.

Thanks!

Ride well, shoot straight, and speak the truth.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ned

Thanks!

+1

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If Nosler says the 165 and 168 jackets are the same thickness, why do they appear to be different in the pics and comparisons?

I sometimes suspect that the customer service reps at various companies do not actually know their own product; and I suspect that this may be one of those cases.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I trust Nosler on this one. The differences could simply be discrepancies on the depth of the section. I KNOW mine is half, or very close to.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Scenars boys,Scenars...............(grin)

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Speakin' of which..not meaning to hijack..but have you tried .22 cal 77 gr. Scenars?

just saw them today and figgered if anybody tried them, it'd be you...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Have not...............

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
If Nosler says the 165 and 168 jackets are the same thickness, why do they appear to be different in the pics and comparisons?

I sometimes suspect that the customer service reps at various companies do not actually know their own product; and I suspect that this may be one of those cases.

If the jackets appear thicker then they are thicker in the tapered nose portion of each bullet.

A long time ago one could call Nosler and speak with Chub Eastman, their former VP. Around the time I sectioned the 7mm 120gr and 140gr NBT I gave Chub a call. He stated all three 7mm NBTs (120, 140 & 150) have the same jacket, they shorten each jacket from the top to match the bullet's intended weight. So the 120grBT will have the same jacket thickness as the 140grBT but winds up with a thicker wall in the tapered nose portion due to the tapered wall thickness of the bullet's jacket & the manufacturing process (which forms the tapered nose of the bullet).

So when Nosler states the jacket thicknesses between different bullet weights are the same they are except the shorter bullet will wind up with a thicker jacket in the nose taper. (and not because somebody filed one bullet weight down past the halfway point like the 'campfire expert on here claimed)

MtnHtr

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

147 members (69sportfury, akpls, 7mm_Loco, 43Shooter, 18 invisible), 17,216 guests, and 1,019 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,879
Posts18,538,148
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
6 hours ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.