Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
GF1: If your contention were true then Bench Rest Competitors would all be using the much CHEAPER "3x" scopes like you allude to!
Your contention is erroneous - for obtaining the ultimate accuracy from a Rifle MANY people know its worth the dollars to use MORE scope power.
There is a LARGE difference in obtainable accuracy from a Rifle when one compares the results from a 3 power scope to that of the same Rifle/load using a 24 power scope.
I know - I done it!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

HR IC

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Clos: I used to use a 24 power Leupold scope for my load development and Rifle testing chores - then once that was ascertained I would replace my 24 power testing scope with what ever scope I wanted permanently on said Rifle.
That worked out so well for me that I now have a 36 power scope that is dedicated to use just for load development and for testing some new to me Rifles accuracy potential.
I know its a bit of a pain to first mount a very high power scope and do the load testing for a particualr Rifle - THEN having to dismount that scope and install the chosen scope for said Rifle - but I am convinced it is worth the effort.
In fact a couple of my cheapskat.... uh I mean frugal friends have taken a positive attitude to this regimen of mine and have asked to borrow my "testing scope" for their testing - being the big softie I am I have given in on several occassions to thier requests.
Lesson to be learned when "loaning" out your testing scope: is to make certain there is a defined duration of said LOAN.
I found that an undefined loan out period causes hardship and consternation for the loaner and not so for the loanee.
Yes, clos, I have done this switching of scopes for quite some time now and recommend it to the person that has lots of Rifles and/or is serious about obtaining the most accurate loads for their Rifle QUICKLY!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Big Stick:Your posting is uninformed, ill mannered and not funny.

True, but on a positive note, he is consistent.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Hunter Benchrest vs Light Varmint Class

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
GF1: If your contention were true then Bench Rest Competitors would all be using the much CHEAPER "3x" scopes like you allude to!
Your contention is erroneous - for obtaining the ultimate accuracy from a Rifle MANY people know its worth the dollars to use MORE scope power.
There is a LARGE difference in obtainable accuracy from a Rifle when one compares the results from a 3 power scope to that of the same Rifle/load using a 24 power scope.
I know - I done it!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Never said there is no difference - clearly there is - just that the difference in the context of hunting rifles is overstated. For example, I have a 3x9x36 Swaro scope on a highly accurate Ruger #1 300 H&H; my groups at 9x are only marginally smaller, on average, than those at 3x. If one is developing loads for extreme accuracy, as in highly precise small bores for varmints or targets, I agree that the higher powers are important. On good targets, just not that much difference in aiming error that the higher power scope will help (in context of lighter hunting rifles).

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
What's a "Ladder Test"? confused

This another Internet-Speak Term for something we've doing for 50 years, but now we have a term for it...?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like a swell idea. Anyone have a suggestion which 36X scope I should get? I need to shake down my 358Norma this Spring....

(Please enable sarcasm detector!)

Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by BobinNH
What's a "Ladder Test"? confused This another Internet-Speak Term for something we've doing for 50 years, but now we have a term for it...?

I don't remember it from when I was reloading 50 years ago, but it has been around a long time. It goes by different names but same basic principle. Some links:

Ladder Test
OCW Load Development
Incremental Load Development

Last edited by Ron_AKA; 01/23/11.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by clos
who here uses a 24x or even higher magnification scope when testing loads then switch back to their intended scope after a desired load is found?

I have started dong that occasionally when shooting a rifle with a 2x7 on it.

Temporarily put a 3.5-10 on and it made a diff in groups.

Must have something to do with 54 year old eyes--'cause I didn't have this problem 30 years ago......... cry

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Big Stick: I use a 36 power scope for Rifle accuracy testing (I buy and sell a LOT of Rifles!) and I also use the 36 power scope for load testing/development for my Rifles that I intend on keeping long term.
And yet I own neither of the "products" you allude that are prerequisites for my using my 36 power scope as I do.
There is a SIMPLE reason for using the high powered scope for "load testing" - I am guessing that simple reason escapes you?
Your posting is uninformed, ill mannered and not funny.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I've more than one rifle and curiously enough,more than one scope.

I'm all ears on your X-power magnification,to accuracy denotation extrapolation(s). It's all between your ears and will be funnier than hell.

In fairness,few is a simple as you,which ain't a compliment.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ColdBore
Originally Posted by Big Stick
*** You are ignoring this user ***
Toggle the display of this post

Huh?

Poking your head in the sand,ain't exactly a new move for you.

Congratulations?...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 32x scope I use on new rifles,to see their potential.
I think being able to quarter a 1" spot on the target with the cross hair is an aid to accuracy,as opposed to covering it,and then some.
I bought a commercial 98 in '06,for a donor,and put the 32 on,just to see.Grabbed some old loads I had made up for cmp practice.damned if it didnt go 1/2",straight off.
best it'd do (or me) with 2x7 was 1 1/4".

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by clos
who here uses a 24x or even higher magnification scope when testing loads then switch back to their intended scope after a desired load is found?

I do and I'm unapologetic about it. IMO it's indisputable that higher magnification allows for more precise bench shooting and precise shooting is the primary objective of testing a load's accuracy.

I enjoy and use a 24X fine crosshair scope and punched this .15" 3-shot cluster and have no reason to believe higher magnification did not play a significant role. The fine crosshairs allow me to center within the wider .1" lines that grid the target shown at 100 yards. I can assure that I can not do that at 4x or 6x and that I enjoyed punching that group more than printing yet another 3/4" trifecta. FWIW, that group was made with a used Savage 12 BVSS 22-250, old Japanese made Tasco 24x AO, used Lee Challenger press, Varget dipped with a spoon, weighed on a temperamental ancient Lyman D-7 scale, untrimmed and unturned RP UMC brass, Hornady ND seater and Lee Collet neck die... OT

[Linked Image]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I do.

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I don't.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
6x42 Montucky Whizzum MPAJ....................

[Linked Image]

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
You are absolutley full of schitt and clueless as to what you are talking about...but you are a entaining azz..will give you that..

Clasic Dipstick.

LC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sub .5MOA at 700+ yards,with a 6x42/Montucky/162 combo.

RINK

You gals that don't shoot,is great for giggles...keep it rollin'!.................

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I like to use the scope that is going to ride on the rifle permanently for load development. By the time your done with load workup you know if the scope/rifle combo is a good match.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dunno if my vote counts or not since the highest powered scope I have is my Leupold, Vari-XIII, 4 1/2-14 Tactical. But I'm using it to work up loads for my .270 WSM. My other rifles were bought before I had the larger Leupold so it wasn't used on them. Once this project is finalized, the WSM is gonna wear a 2-7, Vari-X II.
Bear in Fairbanks

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

275 members (22250rem, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1badf350, 31 invisible), 1,867 guests, and 952 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,654
Posts18,512,764
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.