Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
When testing loads, I use high magnification.

For hunting, I match the scope to what is needed/wanted.

Can't cheat the mountain, Pilgrim...
HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Do you realize how stupid what you just posted really is?"

Yeah, and all bench rest matches even out to 1000 thousand yards are won using two and three power scopes.

You poor, dumb POS.

Why oh why am I surrounded by idiots?

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Different Strokes for different folks...

Sadly, many don't realize this and think their way is the only way.

Can't cheat the mountain, Pilgrim...
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by 1234567
"Do you realize how stupid what you just posted really is?"

Yeah, and all bench rest matches even out to 1000 thousand yards are won using two and three power scopes.

You poor, dumb POS.

Why oh why am I surrounded by idiots?

It's clearly obvious you simply don't know how stupid (unknowledgeable) your post was.
It ain't the increased magnification that puts shots "close." Learned that firsthand at Ft. Benning myself. Trip or two to Camp Perry proved it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TeamRealtreeHD
When testing loads, I use high magnification.

For hunting, I match the scope to what is needed/wanted.

That is the way it should be done. I have always used the highest magnification I had available when testing loads, and usually a 4 power for hunting. Or else set my variable on 4 power.

Even high power shooters and others over the course shooters who shoot in Camp Perry type matches test their loads with scopes, even though they use open sights in the matches.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Several years ago, in tests performed by the Army Marksmanship Training Unit at Ft. Benning GA, it was determined that a person could make an aiming error with up to an 8 power scope and not be able to tell it.

This people doing the testing were Olympiac Gold Medal shooters and other championship shooters.

After reading that, I always made it a point to try to use at least an 8 power scope or above, if one was available.

You can get close with lower power, and also iron sights, but sometimes, close is not good enough, unless you are throwing hand granades.

"Olympiac" "granades".

You make a point to talk out your ass,because you have no [bleep] clue of what you are talking about and are operating solely on Imagination.

Please say more!.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Ammunition is issued at Camp Perry.
Outside of High Power, no one brings their "own" loads.

Those who shoot High Power know testing with a chronograph and the actual competition optic is critical. Switching optics is an unnecessary step in the process.

Why am I wasting time?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
This is going round and round and become pointless. That anyone can believe they shoot better without a scope rather than with one is really, really confused. And Mr Pitiful is in his glory since someone is paying attention to him. So I'm outa here.
Oh BTW Mr Pitiful, please don't call me "sweetie". I only let people that have actually hummed my joint do that. Not people that want to.

Aim for the exit hole.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Ammunition is issued at Camp Perry.

No one brings their "own" loads."

You might have been at Ft. Benning, but you wern't in the AMU. If you were, you wouldn't have said something like that. Maybe the brig?

You've never been to Camp Perry, either. Who issues the loads to David Tubb and Deena Wigger, and the ones who use Wildcat cartridges. The Army does not even make a cartridge in the caliber David Tubb uses.

You've been sucking up to Stick too much. You seem to have the same disease he has. Something called Dumbus of the Azzous.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You are wellfounded to come outta the closet,rather than muse rifle/glass particulars,as at least you'll have some firsthand accountings to reflect upon.

Always enjoy your taking the time,to pretend you've a clue.

You were never in here...though that you thought you were,do add copiously to the humor!...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Why am I wasting time?"

You're wasting time because you don't know what you are talking about. Optics are not used in High Power matches at Camp Perry, so there is no optics to switch.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
"Why am I wasting time?"

You're wasting time because you don't know what you are talking about. Optics are not used in High Power matches at Camp Perry, so there is no optics to switch.

Any/Any is found throughout the classes. "Optics" is a term used freely to cover irons, peeps, clarifiers, filters, lenses, and even day scopes with magnification.

Don't bother thanking me for my service to our nation. It was my honor and privilege.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Don't bother thanking me for my service to our nation. It was my honor and privilege."

You are not the only one who has ever worn a military uniform, although you might think you are. I can't see that you are any better than the other millions of us who also served our country.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
And I appreciate your service as well.

I simply don't understand your namecalling. Or the strange way you attempt to discuss what you have "read."

But hey. It is the Internet.
Have fun.

C
clos Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
This thread is dead alright. last 20 post have been BS!

Clos

NRA Life Member

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I've been able to shoot some fairly tight groups with low magnification scope. The key is to have an aiming point that is big enough to index the reticle on in a consistent manner. A 2" box or diamond is plenty big enough to consistently index a 4X scope on at 100 yards.

I was using the little 1.5-5x20 on a 308 for a while, and it was no hinderance in determining the potential of a load. Used the little scope on both of these tests.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have never, ever heard of iron sights or receiver sights referred to as "optics". Is this something new? Like calling bullets "boolits" or a stock a "handle".

BTW, Top, where are the other two shots in your "groups"?

Aim for the exit hole.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Iron sight aperture ,matching the targets subtended value.

You'll note prior,that correlation to aiming point size reference to a given system,was plainly mentioned.

Do you idiots really shoot this little?................

Gotta agree with Stick on this.....I'm not a competitive shooter(been asked to partake,though,quite a few times)...but anyone who has picked up a Palma Match rifle, aligned the apertures to the 600 yard target,and gotten 4 shots into 2 inches, knows this);

....or kept a hunting rifle with a 4X or 6X scope, sub MOA from 300-600 yards knows it, too.....also see Shane's post above....

With standard BG rifles,you are not gonna squeeze groups to smaller dimensions by hanging a Hubble on it....

Besides, the whole exercise is boring to the max anyway....I've tossed out so many tiny groups over the years,fired with 3X to 6X scopes that once I know a rifle will do it, I don't bother anymore.It is one of the most overrated of shooting activities as pertains to BG hunting.....

And seeing tiny 100 yard groups posted on here leaves me less than impressed, too,because rifles that will do it are pretty common today.I'm more impressed with groups shot by guys with hunting rifles, from hunting positions....seeing what rifle and shooter can do with the rifle "in their hands"...not locked into a bunch of bags.

Anybody can shoot good groups like that....

Last edited by BobinNH; 02/28/11.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
A couple knowledgeable people have made the point that using the right size target to match the reticle is the key. Try it, and I think you will find they know what they are talking about. It is the same reason that the bull becomes larger in competition as the yardage increases.

I can't use a one inch square with a 3min dot at 100 and expect to do my best, but with a 3in or close circle or square the groups start to shrink and become more consistent.

With a duplex reticle and standard inch square targets, I see no improvement at 100yards with anything over 8x.

24x doesn't make a one inch rifle and shooter magically turn into anything smaller or more consistent.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
battue; Exactly....you've maxed out the capability of the system....more X's will not help.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

642 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12savage, 61 invisible), 2,903 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,643
Posts18,512,351
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.