Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
...these little critters have been tough to find on the internet. Any idea who carries these ringmounts, I had rather take advantage of the engineering & concept behind the rifle receiver plate and one piece ringmount vs having to go with the two-piece system of rings/bases. Surprised no one else hasn't knocked off Sako/Beretta's Optilock attachment...maybe they have but I am unaware. Thanks in advance for any additional info on the subject -

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I looked for them in vain and finally called Beretta. They told me the ringmounts weren't available in the US. This was about 3 years ago, though.

I agree with you that it makes little sense to not use the integral mounting grooves on the receiver and I don't understand why there aren't more ringmount options available.

I absolutely hate the 2-piece Optilock system. I don't understand the need for separate bases at all, which begs the question of why the simpler, integral ringmounts aren't more popular. The bases are unnecessarily thick due to the need to contain the cap screw head under the rings. This contributes to the unnecessarily high mounting. Even the so-called "low" rings provide enough clearance for a 50mm objective scope. The screws on the ones I had were really soft. They are excessively expensive. The only good thing I can say about them is they have the self-aligning ring inserts, and the finish matches the rifles perfectly.

Warne made some integral ringmounts for Sako, but when I checked on those a couple years ago, they were discontinued. Leupold currently offers Sako ringmounts, but I've never tried them.

I've been using the Talley bases & rings on my Sakos and have been very happy with them. You have to drive the bases onto the receiver dovetails and secure with setscrews, but once installed, they are very secure and they look good to me sice the base adapters are very low profile.

Last edited by RifleDude; 01/19/11.

Ted
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I love Sako rifle's I think they are probably the best factory made rifle available but I couldn't live with their cheesy clamp on mounting system so I sold all I had, which was quit a few, If I had it over again I think I would look into getting the receiver's tapped for a Weaver type base, I don't like any of the current options for the Mod 85, the Opti-Loks you are looking for are an extremely heavy and bulky system, I went with Talley's but they are a 2 piece system. Sako finally got it right with their new A7 rifle and built them to use Weaver type base's, hell they even include them with the rifle. if they ever do that with the Mod 85 I will have a mass sell off of all My rifles and go exclusively with Sako....................Good luck with your search..........Hillbilly.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Gunbroker has optilocks rings and bases if that is what you are looking for. Talley also makes rings and bases but I have never seen them in person.

I do have one set of Leupold rings for a Sako and hate them. I prefer the optilock rings and bases myself.

I have only had one problem with the two piece optilock ring and bases. After 10 years of hard use my 300 ultra loosened the front ring from the base. I could not tell it was loose until I started taking off the scope. Really it was my fault for not taking the gun apart but it shot so well that I just did not want to take it apart.

Dink

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I bought a set of the low ringmounts off GunBroker and love them. I'll check my paper work to if I can track down the gunshop that sold them to me. They were new in pack and a little cheaper than buying the optilock bases and rings.

'Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.' -Carl Sagan

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by DINK
Talley also makes rings and bases but I have never seen them in person.

I have a picture, but I can't figure out how to upload it directly from my computer.

I think the Sako tapered dovetail groove mounting method is a good design; it's just that you don't have many choices in mounts, and all but a couple of those choices are 2-piece systems. I do blame Sako for not making the 1-piece ringmounts more widely available, but I still think the receiver connection design itself is very sound. As far as 2-piece mounts go, the Talleys are much sleeker looking than the Optilocks, and I can attest that they are very solid.

Ted
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W

I do have one set of Leupold rings for a Sako and hate them.
Dink

Are these the Leupold Ringmounts that you hate?

What is it that you don't like about them?

I've got an L61R I was thinking about using the Leupold Ringmounts on.

Bad idea??

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you are looking for the blued version there is a place on Ebay with them...have a number of them in stock actually. I think they were $144 and change.

Rob
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by WillFish

I do have one set of Leupold rings for a Sako and hate them.
Dink

Are these the Leupold Ringmounts that you hate?

What is it that you don't like about them?

I've got an L61R I was thinking about using the Leupold Ringmounts on.

Bad idea??

Yes they are the leupold ring mounts that I hate. Let me say up front that I have never had a problem with them but I don't like them. It seems like I can't get the scope mounted on the gun like I am used to with my other Sako's. I have to creep the stock to make them work for me.

Its more of a I am used to something else that makes me hate them as much as I do. Probaly most people would get along with them fine it's just not what I am used to.

Dink

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
It appears that you can get them from Beretta directly:

http://www.berettausa.com/shop-by-d...and-carbines/sako-and-tikka-ring-mounts/

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I hate the POS Beretta offering.

[Linked Image]

Have driven Leupold on my L61R based Custom 338Ultra,from inception and I ain't pampered it none...as she gets some trigger time.

[Linked Image]

Hint..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I hate the POS Beretta offering.

[Linked Image]

What happened?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I beat the pieces of [bleep] with a hammer and threw them off a cliff.

Junk +P....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I beat the pieces of [bleep] with a hammer and threw them off a cliff.

Junk +P....................

Thank goodness for that! I have the one piece Optilocs mentioned at the start and was worried they were going to shrivel up in the rain!

Had the two peice mounts pictured and although they didn't get the hammer treatment, they were moved on..

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Still scrubbing my hands,to try and rid the stench,despite it having been some years............(grin)

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You beat the POS to hell and they STILL didn't break?
Must be some junk.
I'll bet you could have straiten them out and sold them as next to new.BTW You DID use the inserts didn't you.
Hint for Two piece Optilock users,match your bases with your action size.
I run Optilock Ringmounts,haven't found anything better,or lighter for that matter.I weighed my Optilock LOW Ringmounts and the Leupold/Sako QD base and Low ring.Optilocks WERE lighter and more robust.

Sorry,I drank the Sako-Aid.My opinion may be biased.
bh444
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I was cryin' reading this,until I got to "light",then I actually pee'd a little too.

You're on an Epic roll...please continue!................

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
It's true,I actually weighed them.I think it could hold true for any base and ring set-up for a Sako dovetail mount.
Now the Leupold Ringmounts I have no experience with(I value my optics),they could weigh less.BUT,I'll bet you could break them with a bigshtick, you wouldn't need a hammer.

bh444
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And that weight was?

I know,I know...you can't "remember".................

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

bh444
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1minute, 204guy, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 72 invisible), 2,308 guests, and 1,417 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,683
Posts18,493,917
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.