Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Anybody shooting the Marlin 1894 in 32 H&R Magnum?? I am interested in what you have to say about it, if you have one. I am thinking about getting one for a raccoon and coyote calling rifle in the woods. Thanks, Tom.

West By God Virginia
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Don't have the .32 Magnum, but do have the .32-20 1894CL.

I really like my rifle! It would be perfect for what you are wanting to do, but you can't have it. laugh

Take a look at the .32-20.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have both. I put the XS sight on the 32 Magnum with a Marbles Sourdough copy for the front sight. This is a good sight set up in the shadow and not too bad under the beam of a spot light shined up into a tree at night.
Using the Lyman 311008 either cartridge will bring an adult racoon out of a tree with a shoulder shot. With lung shots you run the chance of over penetration and a bullet on the loose.
Most any appropriate powder works well in the rifle. Unique, 800X, 4756, Lil Gun, H110. They all work.
Post 21 of this thread has the XS and the Sourdough.
Post 11 compares the Lyman and the Williams.

http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=30261&highlight=.32+h%26r+magnum

I prefer the 32 Magnum rifle with its octagon barrel for off hand shooting. The octagon barrel puts more weight out forward and I am able to follow a rabbit almost as well as I can with a longer shotgun barrel.

There are problems with the XS sight. The sight is not easily adjustable for elevation. With the XS sight you are pretty well restricted to one load as the elevation changes considerably when you switch bullet weights.
The Williams receiver sight requires two screwdrivers to adjust elevation so you are best off with setting your sights for a hunting load and staying with it.
The Lyman sight is the best for the hunter as it is easy to adjust in the field and you can mark the elevation scale for different loads or distances.

The new Williams are an odd sight. You need to mount it further forward or it will hang over the hammer as you will see in the pictures.
Unfortunately, the new Marlins are not drilled for the Lyman sight so it requires a bit more work to mount it. I will get it done soon enough as I prefer the easy adjustment of the Lyman sight.

Last edited by william_iorg; 01/09/11.

Slim
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought one for my wife when they came out. Waited over a year for it. She put 500 rounds through it at the range a couple weeks ago. What a joy to shoot. Plenty accurate.

We've put around 2500 hand loads through it. Never a hickup of any kind.

I load my own using Trail Boss powder and Meister bullets.

I had a chance to buy a second one and decided to think about it first. Been kicking myself ever since. Next time ...

Great little rifles.

The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (160user, 1minute, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 65 invisible), 2,368 guests, and 1,442 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,167
Posts18,484,520
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.