Page 22 of 22 1 2 20 21 22
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Mr. Burns, I'll say it first:

"I am a jackass" grin

But

This is America, you are selling products some of which are more than likely made in America thus employing some Americans.

You are paying to Advertise on an American website owned by an American.

Your hunts are more than likely taped on American soil by an American who will no doubt give some of his money in one fashion or another to an American.

I have proudly worn the uniform with an American flag on it as have sooo many others here.

We are a country at war, and the war is not with Greybull Precision.

I am glad for anyones success in America.

Some people cannot help but get lost in the minutia.

This is neither an endorsement nor a dig on your products as I will proudly say that I dont know chitt about long range shooting. grin

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Darryl Cassel
02/27/02

Hello

I'm back at the fire with another pack of hot Dogs this morning and Hello to all.

I see some of you are still wondering and maybe confused as to what and how we do what we do.

Let me answer the questions that three of you have asked.

BIG STICK----The rifle is a 338/416 Rigby IMP with a 37" barrel. The velocity I get from a 300 Gr Sierra MK with a BC of close to (Actual) .800 is 3310 FPS
At 1000 yards I have a remaining velocity of 2188 FPS and a terminal energy of 3190 FP.
At 2000 yards I have a remaining velocity of 1284 FPS (Below1000 to 1100 FPS goes subsonic) and energy of 1099 FP---Plenty to kill an animal at that range.

NEED ONE---Nobody said we are "HOLDING" the rifle as you would your 8 lb carry gun. Some are shot from bi-pods and some are shot from rests.
Some of the ranges we shoot, we would NEVER try to hold a rifle and to try for a first round hit on the first shot. That would be a mistake and we may possibly hit a doe or cow that is standing close to our intended target. Our Longrange group will not shoot does or cows. We won't kill what produces the Bulls and Bucks for the future. It's not that we haven't in the past, it's just that we don't do it at all, any longer.

Our procedure is to make sure there are NO hunters anywhere near the animal. We then range the animal with our military laser rangefinders. The MOST powerful and accurate you can get.
For extremely long shots, We set the elevation clicks just HIGH enough so the bullet will go over top of the animal. This is to get our windage adjustment when we see the bullet go in and impact over top and behind the animal. This is where we have seen the animal go over to the impact and stick his nose in the hole wondering what it was that made that little noise. After that shot and the windage adjustment is put in and the excess elevation is taken back off, the next shot drops the animal.
Sometimes we take a spotter shot at a small object such as the base of a dead tree stump or clump of dirt. From that shot we are able to do all our corrections of windage and final elevation. We swing back to the animal and kill it with the next shot.

As stated earlier, the animals are not alarmed because the noise level is very faint to them from the muzzle blast. Unlike the short range shooter that shoots at 50 or 100 yards. The noise scares the hell out of them and they will take off even mortilly wounded.

Seal answered somebody's question here when he explained that a wounded animal does not react the same when hit LR as up close. When we hit them, they just lay down, they don't run. They are not alarmed.
When we see an animal that may be alive and has just laid down from being hit, (which they do almost always within 5 yards of being hit) the next shot is into him within about 10 seconds. We don't let an animal suffer and he does NOT get away from us.
This is unlike the short range shooter that has to track a wounded animal all over the place and can't find him till hours have passed and it just may lay there suffering for a long time before it dies.
So a point in our favor, we don't let them suffer when they are hit.
By the way, with our powerful Bigeyes, we can see the bullet hits into the hide and that's a fact.
Again, you must see this done to possibly believe it.
You can buy the tape that Boyd mentioned and see actual LR kills to 1150 yards. It would be the BEST $20.00 or $25.00 you ever spent and answer most all your questions.

As I also stated, we are here to help the young or old shooter/hunter every way we can to make sure we can suggest the correct equipment he must have and to help him undersatnd the ballistics of bullet flight and to make the scope corrections that are so critical to making a Longrange kill. This is of course, "IF" he is interested in LR hunting.

DON KNOWS---Here are the Match dates for 2002 at Williamsport.
The light guns, 16 1/2 Lb shoot on Saturday and the Heavy bench guns on Sunday.
Match # 1. May 4th and 5th
2. May 18th and 19th
3. June 8th and 9th
4. June 22 and 23
5. July 20 and 21
6. Aug. 3 and 4
7. Aug. 17 and 18
8. Sept. 7 and 8
9. Sept. 21 and 22
10. Oct. 12 and 13

World Open two day event with over 300 shooters each day from all over the World, with two classes of rifles each day, will be "JULY 6 and 7"
Most certanly bring a rifle and shoot. in a match. Someone will be happy to get you on target.

Hope to see you there.

I just ate more hot dogs "For Breakfast"??? yukkkk

Hope that answered some of your questions fellows. In reality, you have to see the LR way done but, watch out, it is very addictive. Get ready to open up that wallet

Darryl Cassel

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by JBurns
JRGunmaker,

As I am sure you are aware trying to be the lowest bidder is not the best business plan. It tends to reduce ones longevity in a very competitive market.

Thanks for the well thought out post.

Just got back from the range and it looks like I get to go hunting this weekend.

8 of them with finale zero all dressed up and ready to ship on Monday. Living where I do is good for some things but a pain to ship.

The G30, still in the white, at the back of the pack needed one more day before coating but she�s running now. The 264s sometimes need just a little more time before they begin to behave.

The ratio there is pretty close considering G30s to Rem 700. 2 G30s and 7 Rems.

Caliber ratio is also fairly representative in 7 7mm and 2 264s.
[Linked Image]

care to share your load info on the .264's??

6.5mm's rock
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
140 VLDs and Retumbo powder.

3225 fps on average

wait a minute you tricked me

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The hot scope thing still has me thinking - how hot does the actual surface temp of the scope get - once it's sitting out in the sun etc.

105? 120? Never took the temp on one.

Me

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sorry teal,

How hot black anodized 7075 aluminum gets in the sun is proprietary.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So in other words - you don't know.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Actually teal you are 100% correct I don�t know

It would depend on several things, none of which were mentioned in you post.

1. What is the ambient temp of the environment
2. What was the temp of the optic before exposure to the sun
3. How strong is the sunlight
4. How long has the scope been exposed to the sunlight

Short answer is Proprietary info

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well assume an ambient of 105 degrees out and you've been in it all day. Would 160 or 180 be in the conversation of how hot that scope's going to get to the touch?

Wonder if there's a figure out there that tells a person when a metal object would be warm enough to the touch where it actually burns your hand? Probably what 160 degrees?

I've had barrels get hot enough where it was real uncomfortable to touch but never thought about what it's factual/actual measured temperature was.

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dang - according to wiki - skin burns at 130 degrees.

here

According to the Army - momentary contact is 140 degrees with prolonged contact of 120.

Army

Doubting the temp then exceeds this for a scope in the sun.

Me

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Actually teal you are 100% correct I don�t know

It would depend on several things, none of which were mentioned in you post.

1. What is the ambient temp of the environment
2. What was the temp of the optic before exposure to the sun
3. How strong is the sunlight
4. How long has the scope been exposed to the sunlight

Short answer is Proprietary info

Matte or gloss?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I think it's a good argument for gloss.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
JBurns,

Dunno if this has been covered or not.

How often do you send out new ammo for your rifles? How long do the original 100 loaded rounds usually last?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
K
KDF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
How long do the original 100 loaded rounds usually last?

I'd say they should last for right close to 100 shots. grin

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
140 VLDs and Retumbo powder.

3225 fps on average

wait a minute you tricked me

thats one of my guesses, i thought either retumbo or h-1000 thanks.

6.5mm's rock
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by teal

here

According to the Army - momentary contact is 140 degrees with prolonged contact of 120.

Army

You've never been to Kuwait in AUG

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Dink,

Not at the moment but we may start because of the back order situation from Leupold.

This might be a way for us to get more scopes done and give guys with a 4.5-14 a way to upgrade without having to sell the old optic.

John,

Just ignore the Jackasses, everyone can tell that they're D-bags.

If you start upgrading can you let me know. I would love to have your reticle in a Mark 4. The only thing close is a Nightforce NP-R1 and I don't really want to spend that kind of jack. Also do you have any deals on your stocks right now? I'm in desperate need of one for a L/A Remington in tan.

Fast is fine, accuracy is final.

This is my rifle, this is my gun. This one's for shooting, this one's for fun.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by teal

here

Army

You've never been to Kuwait in AUG

Hell yeah...

I've got a photo somewhere of the therostate at 138 in the shade at FOB Tombstone, Helmand Afghanistan July/Aug 2008. You could feel you face frying. We did foot patroling with our counterparts everyday usually morning and night.

Page 22 of 22 1 2 20 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

351 members (16gage, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 12savage, 1936M71, 51 invisible), 2,057 guests, and 1,121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,859
Posts18,497,148
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.