RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
...which do you like on a 336?

...and what is your favorite...pics would help... grin

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
GB1

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I have no pics but I prefer the pistol grip on my 336s and the 1895.

I would prefer the same on an 1894 in .45 Colt but Marlin screwed me again! I'll just have to pick up one of the new SBL style 1894s in .357 or .44 to play with. Sure as schit, the second I do they'll bring out the .45.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I prefer the pistol grip, it positions your hand for a little better trigger control and lets you pull the rifle into your shoulder a little better.

That said, I don't despise the straight grips either. Got one of each in a Marlin right now. wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
For a scoped rifle I like a pistol grip but for iron sights I like a straight grip.

Last edited by buzardbait; 01/28/11.

Like oats through a horses ass, so are the days of my life
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My 39A, 336A .35 Remington, 336RC .32 Special, 336RC .30-30, and 1895 .45-70 Government all have the pistol grip stocks, my 1894 .44 Magnum has the straight stock, I wouldn't mind changing it over to a pistol grip if I could find the parts.

ASE master certified engine machinist
Truck tech
REDNECK!
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like the looks of a straight grip best, but pistol grips seem to handle recoil better.

[Linked Image]

Not a Marlin, but the grip is the same:
[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
In my experience the straight grip is much better when the shooting is fast and close.....while the pistol grip allows more precision and accuracy (unless one is very careful when using the straight stocked rifles).

The pistol grip seems to lock one's grip in place with consistancy and allows more control in holding as well as recoil control. While I've never considered recoil control to be a significant advantage (most lever rifles don't have much recoil to begin with) thebetter hold (particularly when using a scoped rifle CAN be comforting.

The same traits that make a pistol grip better for deliberate shooting...work against it when the shooting is quick and unexpected. A pistol grip force the hand to be placed more exactly (which is why it's better for deliberate shooting). If the hand isn't just where it should be....acuuracy suffers, or your ability to shoot fast is compromised while you adjust your grip. There's not a BIG difference, but I can tell the difference in my shooting. The straight grip stock is much more forgiving as to grip and hand placement and, whil possibly a bit less precise, is faster to get into action.

On my own lever rifles I tend to have straight stocks on those rifles used in tight brush while slip hunting.....and pistol grips on the rifles I use from a stand or with a scope sight. I've even gone so far as to change the stock and lever on a Marlin 336 (.35 Rem.) from pistol grip-to-straight and change stock and lever on a Savage 99 from straight-to-pistol for that reason.

That may be the reason I've never thought much about recoil control. All of my straight grip rifles (with the exception of a Marlin 1895 in .45-70) are of fairly light recoil such as .44 Mag, .45 Colt, .30-30, .35 Rem., and .375 Win. None of thewse can really be considered "hard kicking" rifles and all have straight grips. The .45-70 (whick also has a straight grip) IS a bit abusive with certain loads, but I've never even thought about the stock style being a factor.

All of my lever guns that DO push back a bit (.308 Win, .358 Win....ect.) are stocked with pistol grips......not because of recoil, but because I tend to use those rifles in situations that allow more deliberate shooting than typical "jump shooting" that often occurs in the thickets.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
..nicely put Rick...

Vic...where did you get your laminated stock...it is very attractive...

For me, I am a 100% straight stock person when it comes to lever guns. Even the Winchester 95 that does just kick "a little" I am very happy with the straight stock....

Bob

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RJM
..nicely put Rick...

Vic...where did you get your laminated stock...it is very attractive...

For me, I am a 100% straight stock person when it comes to lever guns. Even the Winchester 95 that does just kick "a little" I am very happy with the straight stock....

Bob

Thanks, RJM

That is a Brockman's Rifles stock. Very good design for a heavy recoiler(that is a Guide gun in the pic) and has a much better comb for scope mounting.

One of my minor complaints of the Marlin is that way-oversize porpoise belly forend they like to put on their rifles.

The Limbsaver recoil pad and higher comb took the bite out the recoil of that rifle, and the forend is very similiar to my M94 in profile, which is what I started with so it probably has an influence on my taste in lever rifles.

The front sight is, in my opinion, too coarse, so I used that as an excuse to equip that rifle with a Leupold FX-II 2.5X20 Ultralight, and that scope/rifle combo go together like Peanut butt and Jelly.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I'm with you Vic,Inhate thos fat forearms. Here is Marlin 94 that I restocked to look and handle more like a 94 should.

[Linked Image]

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I like a straight grip.

The comments on recoil control and consistent grip make me wonder. I have always pulled back into the lever loop to help hold it in my shoulder/allow a consistent hold. Seems to be enough.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Saddlesore, that looks good.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Pistol grips especially on a Marlin Express when making long range shots.

How many competition rifles have straight stocks? Very few. It's because the pistol grip makes for a more accurate shot for several reasons- many already listed.

However, the straight grip on my 1894C, which was bought as a home defense weapon is better for what I'm using that for.

C
cmb Offline
C
I prefer straight grips, they just make the rifle feel handier, which is what I like in a lever gun. When I need the stability of a pistol grip for what may be long shots, I reach for one of my boltguns. Give me my Texan anyday.

[Linked Image]

It's a '57 35rem with a Leupold M8 3x; my brushgun.

Last edited by cmb; 02/01/11.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I own several Marlins made in the 70's that have the thinner foreend and straight grips. That is the way I like 'em too.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
just like my bourbon, straight

[Linked Image]

My diploma is a DD214
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Straight..
[Linked Image]

Keep moving forward!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a handful of Marlins and I would go with the straight grip any day of the week. If you are trying to find one check it out carefully cause it might be an actual Texan.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
[Linked Image]

In my family, we love 'em both ways!!

Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I would happily trade my 336 w pistol grip lever trigger plate and butt stock for straight ones.

Wake up to this!
R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Will be picking up the 336D/.35 Rem. in about two weeks....should be a fun gun....will post pics when I get it...

..and yes, I am a straight stock shooter when it comes to levers..

Bob

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Sherwood
[Linked Image]

In my family, we love 'em both ways!!

Sherwood

The rifle on the left looks near identical to my Glenfield Model 30AS except for the fact that mine has the pistol grip stock.

The one on the right....kinda like my '94 but mine is older. It is a top eject with a williams peep sight, straight grip and some amazing walnut on it.

As you said, we love 'em both ways too.

Don't let the name fool Ya!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I prefer a straight grip. I go out of my way not to buy lever actions with pistol grips. If you want a pistol grip, shoot a bolt action.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I prefer the PG stocks for silhouette. My 39A is much more comfortable to shot than my 357 and 30-30CB's. I have to put my fingers on the outside of the lever on those two rifles where I have them inside on the 39A. I am going to be converting my 1894 357CB from SG to PG in the near future. I recently bought a Marlin 336 CB conversion in 30-30 w/24" octagon barrel that I will be using this year.
Heres a couple of poor pix of the 357 SG and the 30-30PG. I have the same style of stock for the 357 so I am hoping to have a set of twins when all done.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

NRA Benefactor Member
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
It's kind of ironic that you're changing a 336 CB to a pistol grip, I was looking for one to get away from the pistol grip. No accounting for taste, huh? smile

I do kinda like the look of the "big loop" pistol grip setups. Haven't handled one yet so I don't know how it'd be.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Finally picked up the 336D/.35 Remington last week...it is 99.9%....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

These are .41 Magnums...

[Linked Image]

50 yards sitting with 255 cast...

[Linked Image]

Bob

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I'm late to the party. . . . .I know. grin

I like pistol grip stocks over straight stocks, but can shoot both. Currently I have a Marlin 336C 35 Rem. and a Winchester 88 308 Win. (almost as accurate as my bolt actions). A few years ago I wanted to buy a 1894 480 Ruger and get a revolver to go with it. However, I don't think they ever came out with it. I think they made a 44 mag. with a pistol grip for a few years too. About 10 years ago I called Marlin to see if they could convert a straight grip to a pistol grip on a 1894 357 Mag. They said yes. I called back when I was ready to buy the rifle and send it to them to do the work. Glad I called. They told me the parts were no longer available. You snooze you lose I guess!

I had a few Winchester model 94's with straight grips. A 30-30 Win., 356 Win. and a 444 Mar. The only one that worked and shot correctly was the 356 Win. I chalk that up to the manufacture and the the grip or caliber.

I'll probably get a Marlin 45-70. I'm not sure if I'd get the rifle or the carbine guide gun. Either way, it'll end up with a pistol grip.

Just my $.02, YMMV! wink

Last edited by NYH1; 07/20/11.

Take nothing I say personal, remember....it's just the interweb!

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
My friend bought the straight grip guide gun and would bash his middle finger on the trigger guard during recoil. He sold it and got the 1895 pistol grip and liked it much better.

I would love to get the straight grip marlin in a milder caliber just because it looks nice and I lke the looks.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pistol grip for me. My 1895 has a straight grip, but I like the pistol grip on my other Marlins better.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I sure would like to find a straight stock to fit my 336. I made the mistake of shortning it so a samall frame female could shoot it and then she didn't like it. I just put a second recoil pad on it to lenghten it but still want it back original.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
[Linked Image]

I've had good luck with my older Glenfield model 30 GT.

Sherwood

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
[Linked Image]

Straight stock suits me just fine.

Sherwood

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Either one, so long as it doesn't have that dumbass side safety on it. That's a NO SALE for me. People who grew up with it don't seem to mind, but I didn't, and it frets me.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Pistol love mine

You can shear a sheep many times.But you can only skin him once!
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I like the look of my 336 Texan .44 Magnum with its straight stock better than my pistol gripped 336 .35 Rem. But for ease of shooting, the pistol grip feels better and history shows that most shooters get better control with one. Rod

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Rodfac; 11/22/11.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
RJM: That's a beautiful rifle.

This year while bear hunting a discovered why I prefer the pistol grip. I hunted 14 days, and didn't use the same rifle twice. I blew a chance at the one bear that came in by moving more than I could get away with before the shot.

I was sitting on a hillside and the shots would be made sitting. The straight grip was more difficult to get a good sitting position. I had a tough time to keep my right elbow in my knee with a straight grip. I didn't use a bolt gun with a straight grip, but did use mutliple lever actions with both types. All the straight grips had the same problem.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (1minute, 222Sako, 007FJ, 1badf350, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 54 invisible), 2,303 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,026
Posts18,500,526
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.