Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks for locating that one Steely...

I've read that one, and a couple of others...

that was what gave me the idea to try it... and found it very obtainable..

I even pushed a 40 grainer to an MV of 4750 fps... but with a 2 to 3 shot brass, that wasn't overly appealing....

for inquiring minds, my powder of choice was RL 7 for 4500 fps loads with a 40 grain bullet.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Interesting article..

With BenchMark powder, we used the QuickLOAD prediction for 3031 as a baseline and started load development at 38.0 grs. The Remington shot well at 39.0 grs.; the Savage shot well at 40.0 grs.

So they are starting out on guess work..

(*)Velocities estimated utilizing
Quick LOAD ballistic data generation program.

So again, no solid data; just estimates. Given the nature of the test, I find the lack of chrony data strange given the availablity of cheapy and accurate chrony's these days.

Our Savage rifle, with the crosshairs settled about 8" right and 18" high to account for distance and crosswind, hit its mark with the first shot. After the fact, we measured the distance at 525 yards -- which certainly settles any questions about the effectiveness of a 40 gr. bullet traveling at 4,500 fps.

Sounds like hard way to do things; why not at least dial in the range instead of having crosshairs floating about above the target?

No mention of the BC of the bullets concerned, despite the guestimated print out of the wind deflections..

Would have liked to have seen the actual results had the wind been other than nearly flat calm..

And finally, is a 55grn really a heavy weight bullet?

Not one of the best articles I've ever seen....

Last edited by Pete E; 01/30/11.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I wanted to pick up some more .22-250 brass the other day and was kind of surprised at the high price. It was like .50 a round. I still could use some more so I'll have grit my teeth and pay up I guess.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SteelyEyes
I wanted to pick up some more .22-250 brass the other day and was kind of surprised at the high price. It was like .50 a round. I still could use some more so I'll have grit my teeth and pay up I guess.

Reloading is no longer "cheap"...

Just had a look at what it goes for over here, and Winchester .22-250 is �54.12 per 100, which is about $75! Same place sells Winchester .223 brass for about $55 per 100 while their Lapua .223 brass is nearly double that!

We've seen the price of reloading components double on average over the last 3 years or so..In some cases (Lapua heads spring to mind) they've gone up x5 over about 5 years..

Last edited by Pete E; 01/30/11.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by SteelyEyes

Annealing it every 4th round...using a Lee Collet Die to neck size, and a Redding Body Die to bump back the shoulder, and a little prudence on the powder scale, I see surprising long life out of brass, including 22.250, and 223.

So that can make the higher costs of it not so punishing to the wallet in the long run.

Now Re Pete's assessment of Steely's found article....
Have to admit there is a lot of unfinished business for a "complete" article... however it gives one the basis and some parameters to work with there.

It was something along these lines that originally gave me the idea, to test out the theory presented. I even picked a different powder, but was able to work with data out of a respected Load manual, Lyman...

I just worked up from there in 2/10 of a grain increments. Worked up to where it popped primers, finally found the level that things stayed nice and tight...

then tested it for accuracy, which was still great.. and finally chronographed it to see what the results were..

and ended up the neighborhood, that was predicted in the article with other powders...

Wasn't rocket science... see no need for it in MY daily use... but I always like to know parameters for a cartridge I use routinely.

the concept to inspire reloaders to try it if they found it interesting, was what I took the focus of the article to be.

some folks like to think and some folks only like to be told.
a reference manual in just that to me.. not a bible..
my individual rifle is going to tell me what it likes and what it will do... not some blanket manual..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Seafire
Thanks for locating that one Steely...

I've read that one, and a couple of others...

that was what gave me the idea to try it... and found it very obtainable..

I even pushed a 40 grainer to an MV of 4750 fps... but with a 2 to 3 shot brass, that wasn't overly appealing....

for inquiring minds, my powder of choice was RL 7 for 4500 fps loads with a 40 grain bullet.

Your Imagination is acting up again.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wouldn't doubt 4500. In my 223AI the accuracy load with 40's is from 4096 to 4190 using 2015powder. The 22-250AI load with 50's and RL15 is at 4247. I've never shot 40's in my AI's or any 22-250 case, but 4500 would be no surprise. I wouldn't have thought to use RL7 in that case either, but it seems to have worked.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In her Imagination.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Ackman..

Lyman's 47 Manual posts loads using RL 7. Since it is a powder that has been around for a long time, it isn't new and cool like some of the trendy stuff..

however, it is economical and accurate and in 22 caliber bullets gets some pretty strong accuracy potential going for it..

I live happily with 3500 fps out of a 22.250.. and with bullet weights most commonly used by me, 50 thru 55 grains, a 30 grain charge gives me that 3500 fps, just like predicted in the manual.. and that charge is under max load.. but is a nice round number..

in fact I use the exact same charge in a lot of 243 loads..particularly with bullet weights 85 grains and down.. and even with heavier for loads for kids, or woods distance hunting..

have to admit, I don't spend time shooting 'eggs' at 515 yds like our self anointed hero Dig Dick...

now he is fantasizing I am a she.. with an imagination of untrue thoughts on top of it.. Cabin Fever for 8 months of the year must be a real bitch to deal with...

first he's crying then he's laughin... kind of reminds ya of folks that they put those jackets on and then throw them into little padded rooms so they won't hurt themselves...

ya hang in there Schtick.. spring is coming.. it will be there by mid June...then you can have 3 or 4 months out killing wild eggs at 515 yds all day long...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
First it was a Load printed in an Article by Jim Shockey and slowly Reality is creeping in and it's becoming what it always was...a figment of your Imagination.

Your "perceptors" are truly "amazing" and the ease in which you fire that Imagination up,is fairly impressive. Curiously enough,I grabbed this frame 5 minutes ago and it do extoll your uncanny ability to botch the obvious and with incredible regularity.

[Linked Image]

You go girl!.................

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Big Stick
First it was a Load printed in an Article by Jim Shockey and slowly Reality is creeping in and it's becoming what it always was...a figment of your Imagination.

Your "perceptors" are truly "amazing" and the ease in which you fire that Imagination up,is fairly impressive. Curiously enough,I grabbed this frame 5 minutes ago and it do extoll your uncanny ability to botch the obvious and with incredible regularity.

You go girl!.................

[Linked Image]

all knowing and clutching his Big Stick...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Admittedly,I don't miss much,if only in fairness.

But it do go without sayin'....................

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
So you ADMIT the above picture applies..

now we are getting somewhere.. so you really are 3 ft 3 and green..

now we understand... Your FOLLOW the FORCE....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That your Imagination takes you places that don't exist,is well beyond an impressively sad fact...which just happens to be funnier than [bleep].

Your learning disabilities,conjoined with your physical and fiscal disabilities...keeps you on the couch and the humor in that,ain't to be denied.

You go girl!................

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That your Imagination takes you places that don't exist,is well beyond an impressively sad fact...which just happens to be funnier than [bleep].

Your learning disabilities,conjoined with your physical and fiscal disabilities...keeps you on the couch and the humor in that,ain't to be denied.

You go girl!................

Oh Ouch.. that one hurt...

lets see... I have
1. Learning disabilities
2. Physical disabilities
3. Fiscal Disabilities
4. a Big Imagination
5. and you think I am a female..

and all because I think you are a hypersensitive, egotistical braggard, that gets all bent out of shape when you deal with someone who is not overly impressed with your 'accomplishments'
and you boundless 'knowledge'....

and just who is the pathetic one here?

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
so you really are 3 ft 3 and green..

not green.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Ackman
so you really are 3 ft 3 and green..

not green.

Moss? gets pretty damp up there..
and as they say in the NW here.. Why do people were roll on deodorants? Keeps the moss growing on their arm pits..

Living in Nowhere AK, do you think Schtick uses deodorant??

just a thought...hopefully that question won't overload the one light bulb on his mental christmas tree..

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Didn't mean to horn you up.

Your Imagination is flaring up again...and I reckon I should be flattered..............

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Didn't mean to horn you up.

Your Imagination is flaring up again...and I reckon I should be flattered..............huhuuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuuhhuhuhuuhuhhuuhuhuhhuuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuh

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I savvy the depths of your infatuation and concede that it's wellfounded................

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 257Bob, 2500HD, 22250rem, 257 roberts, 57 invisible), 3,192 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,705
Posts18,534,794
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.