Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Not sure if anyone has seen these or not, but if you have that safety that you dont want, here is a new option I hadnt seen as of yet.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

heres a link to buy/view

http://shop.beartoothmercantile.com...and-Safety-Delete-Stainless-18943033.htm

"real men use Savages-and wear mustaches"
[Linked Image]
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Great idea, looks better than the safety button.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thats a fantastic idea. I like it cause it also makes the statement "up yours" to the brainiac that decided we all need an ugly safety on a marlin levergun, and it looks great.

SST Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I feel a lot better watching my grandson UNLOAD his 30-30 using that cross bolt safety that so many seem to hate. I've never hunted with anyone not conscientious enough to ensure that the cross bolt safety is off while hunting.

Regards,
Sam Taylor
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member

SST's Rifle Room
http://www.angelfire.com/mo2/rifleroom/
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by SST
I feel a lot better watching my grandson UNLOAD his 30-30 using that cross bolt safety that so many seem to hate. I've never hunted with anyone not conscientious enough to ensure that the cross bolt safety is off while hunting.

I dont understand your point here? I believe you are saying you dont like the fact about not using or removing the safety. But that is why there is choice. I probably too would not do this for my grandson, but I am an adult and can do this. My safety is not having one in the chamber until ready to shoot, or if it has a half cock then I use the half cock. I would not let a minor unload a rifle if he/she could not show me that they are proficient at it, ie. keeping the barrel pointed in a safe direction and NOT having their finger near the trigger. Heck Winchesters have been around for a century with the half cock safety. Its just as good as a button. Half cock is as simple to remember as a button. Actually I would not mind a safety on the Marlin, but I do not like the current ones location. Maybe a behind the hammer on the tang would be better if I had to have one. I applaud you for you being safety minded, but I am too. I would say that a Marlin with no bullet in the chamber is safer than one in the chamber and the safety on.

[Linked Image]
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SST
I know exactly what you mean. I hated the safety button when it first came out but I've grown to accept it and even like it over the years. I disabled it by tightening the screw on mine at first but no more. Now I use it religiously when unloading and am glad to have it.

SST Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

The ONLY time it is used is for unloading, and I believe it is a good feature. My grandson is 18 and fully capable of safely handling firearms. I only mentioned him because his Marlin is the only rifle he uses. While I prefer a bolt gun, I like that cross bolt safety for unloading when I choose to carry a lever gun. There's something about unloading a lever gun in freezing cold weather with gloves on that endears me to that extra safety.

Regards,
Sam Taylor
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member

SST's Rifle Room
http://www.angelfire.com/mo2/rifleroom/
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I also appreciate the CBS on the Marline lever guns.They work very well for loading a round in the chamber and when unloading.When you chamber a round you have to lower the hammer on a live round and I think that is when the safety pays for its self.My wifes Browning Buckmarks safety can not be engaged until you rack a round into the chamber but she has gotten used to it and handles her pistol in a safe fashion at all times. I like the looks of a saddle ring better than the safety also but I don't want something on my rifle rattling around while I am deer hunting.There is no law saying that you have to have the CBS, so to each his own.Use them or lose them however you see fit.

Like oats through a horses ass, so are the days of my life
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I think this thread went a little off course.. it was just an info thread for those who do not want the safety on the Marlins. This is not for everyone. We all have to be safe and do how we see fit. Always treat a firearm like its loaded, safety or not. smile

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the looks of the saddle ring. But buzardbait brings up a good point. Does anyone actually have one, and do they make that much noise?

Last edited by pira114; 02/04/11.
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Safety or not? Your choice. With all the years that Marlin manufactured the rifle without the safety button, I wonder how all those previous owners ever managed to unload their rifles without decimating half the population. The safety is the result of a litigation bent society.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Just wait till REMRUGMARLBROWNING comes out with their super-safe-single-shot cross-bolt/squeeze safety guns with factory-installed face shield/ear plugs and hand protectors and neon lighted warning on the barrel telling you to be careful not to shoot your eye out. LOL
Maybe some folks should be shooting NEF single shots instead of the levers.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I just ignore it and unload my Marlin's through the loading gate.

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thats sweet, looks better than the Ludwig conversion I did on a cowboy 45-70.
Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Has anybody seen one of these? Depending on how tight that ring is it may not clink or rattle at all. The ring on the Marlin 1894 SRC I had was very tight and didn�t move at all unless you deliberately moved it. Most of the saddle rings I�ve seen on Winchesters and Marlins are that way.

This is a very unique idea to replace the safety for those that want to, good for him and the old entrepreneurial spirit. Haven�t checked the site since you first posted this but he was out of stock on every version a couple days ago.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Hello Jim,
I have a saddle ring on a 1886 in 50-110 that rattled a little, I wrapped the ring in a spiral fashion w/some .25" leather strapping, I think it looks cool and keeps the ring quiet.
Good Luck,
Gunner

Trump Won!
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
They are out of stock but more to be available in blue and stainless in about two weeks...I have one of each coming for a 1894CCL and a 1894LTD both .41 Mags...

Thanks so much for posting this Smokey...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Yes I emailed and RJM is right, about 2wks out.. or I believe they told me stainless in 1wk the other blued to follow the next week.. or vise/versa... I plan on getting one and I'll try to do a followup.

No probs for the post...!! Figured there were some that like the old traditional looks than some newer rifles and the places they install these safety things. I know its not for all, so no offense to those who do not like em. smile

Last edited by smokey15; 02/05/11.

[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
The same company also makes a safety delete without the saddle ring, if you're worried about something rattling.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got my 1894 when I was 8 or 9 years old in the early '70's . Been over 3 decades since and still have it. Added a couple more Marlins to the gun rack since , but they are both older than the first . For me , I like they way they were made . If I wear one out I'll find a used one to replace it with.
For folks that like that extra saftey and the comfort that it brings that's fine with me . As long as it is not relied on any more than the old style .
Proper handling should allways be paramount . I won't begrudge anyone that chooses the extra saftey . I'm just too ingrained with one style to even try a new style for my own use.

Adn pistol grip or straight , they all point and shoot the same to me. cool

Phil

�The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men.� �Samuel Adams

"All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree." --James Madison
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

177 members (280rem_cm, 35, 2UP, 470Evans, 44mc, 375TN, 16 invisible), 1,608 guests, and 1,044 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,963
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.