Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I've seen some articles mentioning that the players for the Steelers take a 'collection pool' to pay for penalty fines for taking shots to the head of opposing players.

Is this a "dirty hit pool"?

Pittsburgh cornerback Ike Taylor said the possible consequence of head shots isn't a concern as the Steelers seek a record seventh Super Bowl title and their second in three seasons.

"The way we play football, we'll have to suffer the consequences of a high shot," Taylor said. "We'll rally around one another and put up enough money to pay each other's fines. We've got to play football the way we know how to play football."

That's the first time I've heard of a team taking up a penalty fine pool from players.

I mean, why worry about a fine if you can take a head-shot to the opposing player, knock him outta the game and take a measly 15yd penalty, and possibly greatly improve your chances of winning the SB by not having that player in the game anymore?

If the Steeler defense intentionally goes 'head hunting' on Rodgers, what is the downside to that for them? Upside is taking Rodgers out of the game which would be a huge advantage for Pittsburgh. Downside is what? 15yds and a fine? Maybe a suspension that is enforced a few games NEXT season? Who cares about a suspension next year if it could mean a SB ring on your finger?

A penalty (and fine) is meant to discourage some type of wrong-doing in the field of play. But violent head hits that can be major game-changer don't have a discouragement equal to the impact on the game. Only way of discouraging those head shots is ejection from the game.

Last edited by BlackFrog; 02/03/11.
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
It sounds more like a Raider thing, but I wouldn't put it past any team, given the rewards. The Steelers (especially Harrison) have had more than their share of blatant helmet hits this year. I guess we'll know once the game is played.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If the hit is blatant the hitter can be tossed from the game. Harrison is notorious for hits to the head and it wouldn't surprise me to see him do it in the SB. Funny how Pittsburg is the only team complaining about the hits being illegal, you don't hear Green Bay whining about it.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
A 15 yard penalty in a Superbowl for a dirty hit would be beyond stupid. The Steelers, and some of their players got significant fines this year. Some were warrented, some were not. Some of the players contributed to the payemnt of these fines, as well as the fans. I would think this has more to do with the context of the article than what you are implying. They are going to play the way they have played all year, and if the result of that play is getting fined, then they are prepared for that. Do you think any other team plays any differently?

R.

You can run, but you'll just die tired.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
If the officials actually declared the flagrant hitters ineligible and ejected them players would suddenly be able to play more cleanly, it would be a miracle. As it is now the players play within what the officials are allowing and worry about the money later.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I don't think there is a single player today who could have played in the 60's-70's.........

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Check out Night Train Lane and Hardy Brown.

Last edited by mathman; 02/03/11.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
James Harrison donated all of the hit money he received to charity. I beleive he started some type of foundation with it; I can't recall what it was. I just read that in the newspaper the other day.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Your in a contact sport some people need to quit the whining out of tune.

NRA Lifetime Member
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by mathman

One of my favorite football stories, as told by my father-in-law, involves Night Train Lane. He was chasing down a running back near the side line. He was so feared, most would run out of bounds, rather than be hit. Hearing the approach, the running back calls out "Is that you, Night Train", the response? "It's me baby, it's me". Night Train proceeds the fold the rb in half, gets up, looks at the crumpled mess, and exclaims, "I told you it was me!" and walks away. He was one tough s.o.b.

R.

You can run, but you'll just die tired.
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE
Your in a contact sport some people need to quit the whining out of tune.

The NFL is cracking down on this because of the possibilities of the league being sued from past players now having all kinds of health problems from taking so many hits to the head over the years.

Much more is known now about the effects of concussions vs years ago when nobody really gave it second thought.

No reason to be going for the head in proper tackling technique, I realize there will be head contact during the instantaneous collisions of the game. But to be deliberately 'head hunting' or leading with the helmet directly at the head of the other player is not needed.

Last edited by BlackFrog; 02/03/11.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mathman

For a deeper insight into Hardy Brown, I very highly recommend the book Twelve Mighty Orphans by Jim Dent. (Actually, I highly recommend anything by Jim Dent, but this particular book fits the discussion.)

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Don't matter cause Clay will be knocking Big Ben out.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
That's just stupid!! I just hope that they remember that it works both ways! It would be a pity for ole Ben to get his bell rung again or his leg broken.

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
This thread reeks with the odor of used kotex.....what a bunch of wimps. IT'S FOOTBALL.....it's suppose to hurt when you play a contact sport!!

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TexasRick
This thread reeks with the odor of used kotex.....what a bunch of wimps. IT'S FOOTBALL.....it's suppose to hurt when you play a contact sport!!

Well said! They could always join the well respected Pro Touch Football League with just a slight cut in pay.

Last edited by 17ACKLEYBEE; 02/03/11.

NRA Lifetime Member
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
TexasRick - Hurt and pain's one thing in football but intentionally trying to cripple someone is another. Not sportsmen like in my book..

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by CEJ1895
TexasRick - Hurt and pain's one thing in football but intentionally trying to cripple someone is another. Not sportsmen like in my book..

Not a damned thing in that article indicates what you allege.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've gone back and read the original quote a bunch of times and can't really see how it can be interpreted as any threat to intentionally injure anyone.

But if you're looking to get whipped into a frenzy I guess you can read anything you want into it.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Maybe they'll run it dry on sunday. laugh

Really, that's pretty bushleague if they do have that pool. But the commish has brought this on himself with the pussifying of the league.

I woulndn't be a bit surprised if teams pay player fines for hard hits that generated fines from the commish.

Camp is where you make it.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (16penny, 11point, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 70 invisible), 3,029 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,382
Posts18,469,582
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.