Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 16 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good read this thread. Well most of it.

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by WheelchairBandit
...A friend of mine has a matched pair of Armand Swenson High Powers.

Brian.
Wow, Brian, those have got to be priceless to anyone who knows what they are. Does he shoot them?

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
T
T
Sigh. To the fans and aficionados, thank you.
To the rest of you, what a load of Cr*p.

Hi, I'm Charlie's granddaughter, let me set some of this straight.

He wasn't a babykiller. I don't know who started that story originally, but its obviously spun out of control.

He loved the women in his family dearly (his wife, his daughter, and his 4 granddaughters). He hated his mother and his sister (met the sister once, what total trash).

He drank tequila and ouzo daily, because he had arthritis. I never once in my lifetime heard him bemoan any kind of issue that he'd need to drink his troubles away.

Yes, he shot a lot of blacks in Africa. There was this little war most Americans don't learn about where the white farmers who had developed Rhodesia were being slaughtered by black revolutionaries. My family had many many friends there, and he was there to help them try to come out on top in that war. Unfortunately that was not to be, and the country is now Zimbabwe. Maybe a few more Charlie Askins could've kept the country from turning into a unfarmable wasteland with 5000% inflation.

If you met him and he was charming the ladies, guess what? He was a charming person when he wanted to be. He wasn't trying to steal you wife, he was just cooler than you, sorry bub.

And yes, the way he fought might be considered sneaky. But he kicked ass, took names, and lived to be a very old man, which is more than a lot of gung ho whackjobs can say. He'd think most of these kids going off to war currently are total wahoos for the way they do things now, I guarantee it.

He had several strokes, and a a few heart attacks in his later years, and a dwindling case of dementia. Yes, he drove off one day to take his dog to the vet and got lost. There were NOT posters all over town (what crap, we had one news report run, and a family friend actually returned him to us).

He passed away in his own bed at home holding hands with his loving wife. Which is a far sight better than most men, psychopathic killer or not, will ever do.

Last edited by Thangle; 01/05/11.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thank you for your post Thangle.

MAGA
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Some known men are never known; its the partly truth, partly fiction that makes their names not likely to be forgotten...

I knew my grandfather and loved him, but my father certainly knewhim; I suppose our views of the same man differed, as did every Joe Blow in the old hometown...

Thanks for the family member insight.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good post Thangle

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Nice post, Thangle. Thanks for taking the time to post it.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gmoats
Wow, Brian, those have got to be priceless to anyone who knows what they are. Does he shoot them?

They're in the white, because he wanted to have them hard chromed and never got around to it. Last I saw (6 or 7 years ago), they were just sitting in a drawer. I would bet cash money they're in the same place and haven't moved since I seen them last.

Brian.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Thangle
He drank tequila and ouzo daily, because he had arthritis.

Fred Sanford?

Brian.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I guess you know you are a legend when they make up stories like some of these!

Some of these read like pulp fiction Wild Bill Hickok stories.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Fred Sanford?

Brian.

You've got being a "DICK" down pat....

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by jwp475
... You've got being a "DICK" down pat....

...isn't that the punch line to an old Nixon joke??? blush

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwp475
You've got being a "DICK" down pat....

Who threw sand in your mangina?

Brian.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Sigh. To the fans and aficionados, thank you.
To the rest of you, what a load of Cr*p.

Hi, I'm Charlie's granddaughter, let me set some of this straight.

He wasn't a babykiller. I don't know who started that story originally, but its obviously spun out of control.

He loved the women in his family dearly (his wife, his daughter, and his 4 granddaughters). He hated his mother and his sister (met the sister once, what total trash).

He drank tequila and ouzo daily, because he had arthritis. I never once in my lifetime heard him bemoan any kind of issue that he'd need to drink his troubles away.

Yes, he shot a lot of blacks in Africa. There was this little war most Americans don't learn about where the white farmers who had developed Rhodesia were being slaughtered by black revolutionaries. My family had many many friends there, and he was there to help them try to come out on top in that war. Unfortunately that was not to be, and the country is now Zimbabwe. Maybe a few more Charlie Askins could've kept the country from turning into a unfarmable wasteland with 5000% inflation.

If you met him and he was charming the ladies, guess what? He was a charming person when he wanted to be. He wasn't trying to steal you wife, he was just cooler than you, sorry bub.

And yes, the way he fought might be considered sneaky. But he kicked ass, took names, and lived to be a very old man, which is more than a lot of gung ho whackjobs can say. He'd think most of these kids going off to war currently are total wahoos for the way they do things now, I guarantee it.

He had several strokes, and a a few heart attacks in his later years, and a dwindling case of dementia. Yes, he drove off one day to take his dog to the vet and got lost. There were NOT posters all over town (what crap, we had one news report run, and a family friend actually returned him to us).

He passed away in his own bed at home holding hands with his loving wife. Which is a far sight better than most men, psychopathic killer or not, will ever do.

I guess that puts a well-directed foot in a few fannies around here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"And yes, the way he fought might be considered sneaky. But he kicked ass, took names, and lived to be a very old man, which is more than a lot of gung ho whackjobs can say. "

"He passed away in his own bed at home holding hands with his loving wife. Which is a far sight better than most men, psychopathic killer or not, will ever do."

I think she has a pretty good handle on it. He was a devoted psychotic killer who lived to be an old man in a profession filled with gung ho whackjobs

Last edited by KFWA; 01/26/11.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

Fred Sanford?

Brian.

I've got severe degenerative arthritis in both knees and I drink (too much) bourbon. My rheumatologist and internist keep telling me to have no more than 3 drinks a day; now I've got another medical opinion that says to switch to tequila and all will be better. Best advice I�ve had all day!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by djs
� I've got severe degenerative arthritis in both knees and I drink (too much) bourbon. My rheumatologist and internist keep telling me to have no more than 3 drinks a day; now I've got another medical opinion that says to switch to tequila and all will be better. Best advice I�ve had all day!

Mark Twain had a cold.

A friend advised a quart of whisky.

Another friend also advised a quart of whisky.

"That," Twain exclaimed gleefully, "makes half a gallon!"

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Originally Posted by djs
� I've got severe degenerative arthritis in both knees and I drink (too much) bourbon. My rheumatologist and internist keep telling me to have no more than 3 drinks a day; now I've got another medical opinion that says to switch to tequila and all will be better. Best advice I�ve had all day!

Mark Twain had a cold.

A friend advised a quart of whisky.

Another friend also advised a quart of whisky.

"That," Twain exclaimed gleefully, "makes half a gallon!"

Hey Ken. These are my kind of doctors! Got their address?

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Skeeter probably had waited in the dark for smugglers. He probably appreciated the fact that a man who shot straight in a heated moment was an assett. Smugglers usually are hard men.

JMHO-YMMV dd884
Gary D. Peek
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
An old Browning Superposed I traded for a few years back, factory lettered as Capt. Charles Askins Sr.'s personal shotgun, pictured in several books, included Unrepentant Sinner by his son, the Colonel. An extensive thread on www.shotgunworld.com, under "I love my Browning" had 28,000 or so hits over 3 years. It's probably several pages back in the Browning Forum, but has a lot on info of Major (then Capt) Askins, Colonel Askins, with input from the Colonel's son, Bill Askins, San Antonio. Included are the Colonel's Colt Woodsman he turned into a center fire, causing a big stink at the Camp Perry matches. Check it out.

DF

Page 13 of 16 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 06hunter59, 54 invisible), 2,477 guests, and 626 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,443
Posts18,507,795
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.