-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. As you know, LOP is easy, but if the grip doesn't fit nothing else matters. And I'm fussier than most that way.

I have been dreaming up the next M70 lightweight custom, I may have to go with a NULA.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
GB1

djp Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Don't even think about it! How am I gonna keep on resisting if I know you have one just up the road?

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Rick--
The NULA does have a chunkier grip than many; it is a feature I don't care for (but have learned to look past.) I would pursue JB's lead that you can perhaps get that modified.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by LBP
Ordering another NULA Monday.

Which trigger should I go with Timney or Jewell?

I have three with Timneys so I know about them. I have heard the bolt lock over ride function does not work with the Jewell is this true? If it is true does the safety lock the bolt closed like the old 700's or is it like the new 700'S?

Thanks for the help...

And the chamber will be cut with what reamer?

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by LBP

I have three with Timneys so I know about them. I have heard the bolt lock over ride function does not work with the Jewell is this true? If it is true does the safety lock the bolt closed like the old 700's or is it like the new 700'S?

Thanks for the help...

I have read before that if you use the Jewell trigger that you do forego the 2-position 3-function safety of the Timney. However, I don't know if the safe poistion of the Jewell locks the bolt.

Mr. Forbes is repairing my first gun as we speak. Provided he can repair my gun, I am planning on ordering a second one. I am going to go with a Model 24 in either 270, 280, or 30-06 with 24 in #2 barrell.

Does anybody know how he suggests length of pull by using height/sleeve length?

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The Jewell trigger does not lock the bolt. If you do decide on a jewell make sure to have Melvin install when he builds the rifle. Jewells have slightly different dimensions than the Timmneys and typically a small amout of metal removal of the cocking piece needs to be done to get everything timmed right.

I have four NULAS and have the Jewell on one, my .308 and well it is superb..but I am pretty picky about keeping it clean. I am very satisfied with the Timmneys though and have all of them set a 2 lbs.
Talk with Melvin re: LOP etc. He will walk you through it.

Lefty C

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
Originally Posted by LBP

Thanks for the help...

And the chamber will be cut with what reamer?

I'm going with a plain ol' 223 Rem. I have a 250 Savage and have had a 260 Rem and a 6x45 (6mm-223).

I just find myself using the 223 for most stuff now days, even the small deer we have around here...

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
The Jewell trigger does not lock the bolt. If you do decide on a jewell make sure to have Melvin install when he builds the rifle. Jewells have slightly different dimensions than the Timmneys and typically a small amout of metal removal of the cocking piece needs to be done to get everything timmed right.

I have four NULAS and have the Jewell on one, my .308 and well it is superb..but I am pretty picky about keeping it clean. I am very satisfied with the Timmneys though and have all of them set a 2 lbs.
Talk with Melvin re: LOP etc. He will walk you through it.

Lefty C

Thanks Lefty thats what I was looking for. I'm going to get a Timney again...

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
My son has a NULA 223 with a 1X9 twist...he has been comitting murder and mayham with 53 gr TSX's on whitetails.
Pretty sweet in NULA 5 or 6 in the magazine.

Lefty C

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Thats what I'm looking for in a left hand version to boot. Lefty what are the specs on your son's rifle?

IC B3

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I'm thinking.

Model 20-S Left Hand
#1 barrel cut at 22"
1-8" or 1-9" twist
1" recoil pad because I like the looks better than the 1/2" pad.
Timney trigger set at 2 lbs
Leupold Ultralight 3-9 x 33

Just gotta figure out what paint pattern. All my others have been typical NULA dark green base with brown and black stripes...

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Tan, olive, and black spatter...Ask him to duplicate the LH ackley that he is working on on...you wont be dissapointed.

LC

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Is it your Ackley he's working on?
Tan base with olive and black spatter?

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
LBP

Nothing special on the specs: 22" 1x9 # barrel, 13.5 LOP. Olive tan and black on the stock with the standard recoil pad.

I think it's about 6 lbs with a 3.5X10 Leupie.

Lefty C

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Yup my Ackley...just spoke with him Friday....We have used the same pattern of paint on the last two we got from him.

LC

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Here are a couple of pictures;

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

.223 on top .300 WSM on the bottom

LC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That paint scheme is awesome!

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Lefty, I like that 223. You could save me a long wait and put it on the market... whistle

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Lefty,
Nice looking rifles. I like the paint scheme. I know everyone of those rifles shoots too. Melvin builds a sweet piece.
In regard to LOP when I showed up at his shop to order a rifle he looked at me and wrote down my LOP on the build sheet. I laughed and asked him how he knew. He simply stated that he had been building rifles long enough to look at a guy and know the LOP. He was right on.
I know it would be tough for some to order one in person but it sure is a treat to hang around his shop and talk with him.

Dave

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by RaceTire
Steve,
I asked him when I picked up the 280AI where he would recommend seating the bullets. He said "it doesn't matter". I looked at him like he was crazy and he told me just stuff em and shoot em. Most any 120 to 160 and let er eat. He was right. It shoots stuff .100" off just like it shoots the same stuff @ .050" or .025" off. Very little difference.

Kerry at MGM has told me this same thing, interestingly enough.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (222Sako, 1badf350, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 1minute, 1Longbow, 50 invisible), 2,301 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,026
Posts18,500,526
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.