Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
DZ Arms, Dan Zimmerman. Newly manufactured copies of Unertl mounts, without clicks but with additional elevation range.

Excellent mounts, $350 per set.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks Paul.

Do you think these would have enough elevation in them to shoot 500-600 yds with black powder rounds?

thanks,

Shortgrub

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
With any normal configuration and cartridge, easily. Plus, the DZs have about .10" more elevation travel than the original Unertls.

I have only shot as far as the 500 meter silhouette ram with a scoped BPCR so far, but I do shoot 1000 with irons on my .45-90 Sharps. There is a point with a scoped rifle where the angle necessary to shoot longer ranges presents some ergonomic issues. Depending on the spacing of your bases, scope is going to be at a considerable angle, with the eyepiece up fairly high. Unless the rifle is stocked with a very high comb, the usual approach is a cheek pad. My son has one that raises the comb a full inch. Otherwise, your face will be so high that you have no cheek contact, not a good situation. What I describe may be a bit hard to visualize, but if you plan to shoot long ranges with an externally adjusted vintage style scope, you have take this stuff into consideration and plan accordingly.

As far as DZ, Dan is pretty accessible and would be glad to answer questions about applications using his rings.

Paul

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
the shorter scopes will reach further due to the shorter sight base but all are pretty well designed for 500 m (roughly 550 yds).

Has anyone used one of the shorter Leatherwoods that are 6x and 18" long. They are not too expensive and I have a spare set of mounts lying about. The price is under $300 so it seems real doable if they are any good.

Brent

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Brent I have one of the 6x18 leatherwoods. The optics are very good. The slide bar and lock ring need a bit of improoving.
I haven't had the opportunity to shoot this setup much yet , but so far the scope and the dz mounts are great.
I think the mounts that come with the leatherwood would probably be ok for a set it to a certain zero and leave it there, but changing settings would be a nightmare.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I forgot to add that I really like the 4 inch eye relief of this 6x leatherwood.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I thought I would probably need a check pad. Any recommendations as where to get one? I would like to have one that looks from the era.

Tim

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Off the top of my head:

Cabela's
Brownell's
Creedmoor Sports
Buffalo Arms (maybe) BTW, they are the "toy store" for BPCR. Great wish book.
Shiloh Rifle (maybe)
Best of all, but pricey, is Cheek-N-Stock

I dunno about looks. Most are leather. It wouldn't be too hard to make one yourself, and that might have a sort of period look. Myself, I'd be more concerned about function. You want it to stay put. Best to look around and see some on other folks' rifles.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Just another caution, especially for anybody considering hunting with such a scoped rig. Don't expect to have a vintage type scope function and feel much like a modern scope. They are a step backward. The small diameter straight tubes do not transmit light like a modern scope. Their fields of view, eye relief, and eye box are typically more limited. They are less rugged than modern optics.

I'm not trying to be negative or discourage anyone, but these scopes and mounts are a considerable investment, and I wouldn't want anybody to have unrealistic expectations.

Paul

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Paul, when Pete uses the cheek pad does the comb height conform to NRA rules, ergo, 3/4" min to CL of barrel?

The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first.

Unk
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Pete's cheek piece is made for his Sharps, and he just uses it for long range like Alliance. For scope silhouette I've been using a home made cheek pad.

I checked the rule book. For BPCR no portion of the rifle stock behind the rifle action shall be higher than 3/4" below the centerline of the bore.

However, for scoped BPCR, cheek pieces may be used and may be of any height. Rule 3.4.1.(e)

Makes sense, just like the additional weight allowance for scoped rifles. Without the additional comb height, your face would be flapping around in the breeze on the long targets. I put it on once I get to the turkeys.

Paul

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (222Sako, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 22magnut, 06hunter59, 53 invisible), 13,980 guests, and 1,016 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,133
Posts18,542,421
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.