Print Thread
Hop To
B
bbassi Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I just got lucky and picked up an 870 Express for under $200. The only problem I can see is there are several small spots of rust on the receiver and magazine tube that won't rub off with a green scrub pad. There are only 3 or 4 small spots but I'd like to get them taken care of ASAP. What's the best way to remove this without destroying the finish? Thanks.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Soak with Kroil and them try Flitz metal polish. If it still doesn't come off 0000 Bronze wool from a boat shop but go easy even the Bronze wool could take some of the Parkerizing off.

This usually means neglect or the parkerizing is worn. Essox over Parkerizing then wax works pretty well at keeping it from starting even with heavy salt water use. On my Duck guns I would put camo tape over the wax and it would be good for most of the season. If any of the tape started to lift it meant it was time to take all of it off and clean then re-oil/wax.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
A parkerized finish is not a rust colored process. Perhaps, I have not tried it, a rust removing product such as evap-o-rust would remove just the rust and allow for no removal of surrounding phosphates. As stated a good wax worked into the parkerized finish after it has been given a good oil and then wiped off will work wonders. I have just recently begun using wax on my firearm steel and am pleased.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I hadn't heard of Kroil, but I just ordered some Flitz. I am trying something similar to bbassi. I am trying to get rid of some spots on my Remington 1100 and an old Ruger SA .22.

I'll have to try a rust remover first.. if I can't find Kroil.

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one" -Geffray Mynshul
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Years back I had an issue M40 with some type of military parkerized finish that developed rust spots. The temps were over 100-degrees and I was laying on the rifle for an extended period of time and salt from by sweat and some blood spotted the reciever and bolt. It went back into the bag and a day or two later all those spots were colored rust. Don't recall which oil was used, but it was heavily coated with a rust neutralizing oil and sat for a period. After that period, it was wiped down dry and then it was wiped down with a light coat of oil followed by a heavy coat of wax. You could no longer see the rust colored spots and it never rusted again.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
IC B2

R
RAN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The WWII field armorer method of derusting a parkerized weapon was to boil the metal in water for a few minutes. This converted the red rust to black rust (same process as in rust bluing). The black rust could be easily removed with fine steel wool leaving a dark, but thin layer of oxide instead of bright metal. Follow with oil, wax or whatever you like.

RAN

B
bbassi Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Thanks for the input. I heavily oiled it for the short term until I learned more. What type of wax are you talking about for this type of application? I've never used wax on any firearm.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't think you would go wrong keeping a can of Johnson Paste Wax around the house. I've used some old surplus bowling alley wax for years, which I personally think protects the best, but it is hard to apply. The Johnson paste wax can be brushed on with a small solvent brush at room temperature and it turns near liquid getting into all the tight places. The wax will not displace with normal handling and it will float the moisture off the metal surface.

What I use now is a formula for making liquid cosmoline made with alox. It was designed to protect machined parts stored on deck from salt spray. I make it by the gallon and keep it in the shop. Once a year when I break my rifles down for an LTI, I solvent wash the barreled actions clean and then apply the alox solution. After assembly, I perform normal routine maintenance with periodic applications of wax throughout the year. It works for me and is cheap.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I was given a tin of Boston floor wax, then later a paint can size tin of it, so I use that. Bedding, rust preventing, whatever.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kroll and 000 steel wool

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
0000 steel wool and a good solvent is the best way to remove rust. Whether it damages the finish or not is more determined by how long the rust was left untreated, and if any salts were present, and what type of finish the gun has. An 870 "Express" does not have a parkerized finish. It is just a bead-blasted blue and not very resistant to rust. A real parkerized finish is much more resistant to corrosion and wear.

Matt
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
evapo rust will Not remove any parkerizing finish at all.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (007FJ, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 66 invisible), 2,418 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,421
Posts18,470,590
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.