Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I harvested my first deer from the ground, but have taken to tree stands since then. I'm considering ground hunting again.<P>What's your experienaces from ground hunting?<BR>How many of you ground hunt?<P>Thank you, bowhunter57

Guns cause crime, like silverware causes Rosie O'Donnell to be fat.
GB1

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I am still new to bowhunting but my best times were spent on the ground. I blew the perfect chance at ten yard because when I got seated I drawed a couple of time to test clearence in the shooting lanes. Well I forgot to reset the nocked arrow so when I drew on the deer the arrow fell. Oh well, another year is coming up. One time I had a ruffed grouse walk up to within 3 feet of my left foot while setting on the ground. Ground hunting has it's benefits.

Beware the one-gun man.
M
M
i am new to this site.in my earlier years of bow hunting i could not sit still for more than an hour or two.so needless to say i did alot of walking.i would jump a lot of deer but never too many shots.eventually i came to remember these bedding areas,and actually started tagging some deer.i always wanted to see what was just over the horizon.covered alot of ground,got lucky once in a while.lately i have been forcing myself to sit.my results are far more satisfying.patience for me has been a long time coming, but i am glad i finally found it!

Long distance,the next best thing to being there...
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The header caught my attention as I scrolled down. Honestly I mostly hunt from the ground and though I keep hearing you can't I do Ok, year in and out, normally a meat hunter and I look for 2or 3 on a side sometimes when I'm scouting and see a really nice buck I keep track of thier movements and have tagged some big bucks. It is different and requires some concealment. I like an old log with some brush where I can make a spot to move a little without rustling leaves and things. Also scraping the brush/leaves around making the spot make a great cover scent putting quite a lot of natural order in the air. Also anyone saying deer don't look up hasn't hunted around here...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 60 invisible), 2,204 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,767
Posts18,495,660
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.