Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Much enjoyed. Got any of them on a grill? Do you catch enough to last until the next season?

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I seldom freeze fish and much prefer to eat it FRESH. There are no "Seasons" and I've opportunity every day of the year,for Chrome of one sort or another.

Steelheading runs roughly from October to June...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Which species is preferred, eating wise? Any difference in color of the cooked flesh?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
For tablefare,you'll not trump fresh Red Snapper. Of the Salmonids,Chinook/Sockeye tops the heap.

Chrome takes secondfiddle,to nuttin'...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I thought about this for a minute and I agree that fresh trumps any kind of fish that's been "preserved" by any method. I did think of a couple of possible exceptions though.

Canned smoked reds.

Another one in the seafood category is canned smoke flavored steamer clams (pacific littlenecks).

They're the only two long term preservation methods that I found that were better after coming out of "storage" - than before going into storage.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I put up smoke canned Salmonids,for arranging sandwich spread or cracker dip,as mood dictates.

Shrimp store well,when totally submerged in water and frozen in blocks...though I much prefer them writhing,as they hit the hot water..............

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Bigstick,
How far from home to one of those locations in your pictures? How close is actually what I'm wondering. I suppose the fish are still 'fresh' when you get back to the kitchen.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm less than 400yds offa my porch to the first cast,if inclined.

Salmon in the salt,less than 50yds............

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
That should work. Any difference in taste between a salmon caught in salt water vs one that's been up a creek for a while?
Very interesting stuff and a world apart from my neck of the world.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There are STARK differences betwixt Chrome and Cat Food,both as eye candy and tablefare.

If it ain't a mirror,it ain't hitting the pan................

IC B3

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by Big Stick
There are STARK differences betwixt Chrome and Cat Food,both as eye candy and tablefare.

If it ain't a mirror,it ain't hitting the pan................

Yeah that. And I live in Oregon.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Was always gonna fish Orygun some day...............

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Was always gonna fish Orygun some day...............

It's Paradise.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I bet!

One of these days..................

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Ever fish the Skeena rivers Stick or any other of the BC creeks?I started in 66,it sure isn't the way it used to be.What they call great steelheading nowdays wouldn't get most of the oldtimers out of bed.It can still be good,just not "old days" good. Monashee

Support the BC Wildlife Federation
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Been through the Country multiple times,but always runnin' & gunnin' towards work and never made a casts.

Pards hit Kanuckia every year and damned near have me shamed into it...but hard to holster a rifle in the Fall,to pick up a rod instead.............

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If you're ever thinkin' about spring steelheading in BC drop me a line,there's some great spring rivers in the Skeena country as well,closer to the Coast.I'd think that would be about prime time on your streams as well? Monashee

Support the BC Wildlife Federation
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Therein lies the rub,in my schlepping away elsewhere and reiterates why I'd NOT live elsewhere.................(grin)

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (1moredeer, 163bc, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 1minute, 61 invisible), 2,640 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,915
Posts18,498,338
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.