Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
POC Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Originally Posted by POC
Thanks so much for your help. I tried over in the "Optics" section and got some crappy advice and started a fight....

In the Optics forum, if you say, "Good morning! It's a beautiful day today!", you will get bad advice and start a fight... wink

Maybe a sticky needs to be posted there......"Don't ask any questions here."

If anything I state appears to be medical advice, I am not a doctor; be sure to contact your family physician before making any changes in your medical regimine.
GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Yes, I did the hammer work myself--still the stock hammer in my gun. I preferred to do that rather than buy the VQ. Gave me a chance to tinker and really learn how the gun works internally. I did;
1) Stoned and polish the sear notch on the hammer (some recommend only to polish)
2) The "adjustable sear" routine on the RFC sticky
3) Polished the sides of the hammer and polished the sides of the bushings inside the hammer spring so the bushings don't bind on the hammer sides
4) Polished the hammer pin
5) Installed trigger overtravel screw
6) Installed a Tyler # 7 trigger shoe.
7) Polished and loosend to finger tight the bolt guide rods

Mine still has the stock extractor too, even though some go to a VQ extractor (mostly the earlier guns that had extraction problems)
Enjoy--you'll have fun doing it yourself--and if you mess up the hammer, you can always go buy the VQ.

Thanks for the compliments--I've always been a sucker for thumhole stocks myself, laminated or otherwise

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Parallax will be there with a standard "big game" scope that is used on a .22 within typical .22 effective range. But really, in my experience it's not a huge deal. I ran a Weaver K4E on my old Glenfield .22 bolt for years. Was I winning any small bore tournaments with the set up? No. Was I missing a rabbit from 10-50 or 60 yards? Never. I ran a Leupold 4-12x on a 10/22 once and it did just awesome. yes that does have an adjustable objective lens, but if memory serves it was set on infinity and I never did think to change it. Most recently I tried an old Redfield Widefield on that same 10/22 and again, I will not win any competitions, but I will not miss a rabbit's vitals or head with it either.

Having said all that, I did run a Leupold 4x Rimfire Special on that 10/22 (parallax is set to 60 yards I believe) and man - that set up was sweet. I could do all I wanted with it and the sight picture was awesome when bearing down on a rabbit or ground squirel or empty .22 cases when showing off.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (bbassi, 10gaugemag, BALLISTIK, beefan, 6mmbrfan, 907brass, 9 invisible), 1,270 guests, and 964 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,227
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.