Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
While I myself would never pay that much for any hunt, I'm glad some people are willing to shell out that kind of money. People who pay big $$$ for those tags probably keep my tag costs down.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
Even a "tax write off" only saves so much money and not nearly the amount paid compared to the deduction.

Burns is almost right this time, except I think the "good old days" were a few years back and now we're just trying to hang on.

Almost right is pretty good, right??

Anybody with the resources to pay for those tags is in the top bracket so they are really only paying about 60% of the aution price with the writeoff.

Well, John Burns, it wasn't the tax advice I was giving you the partial credit for. It was more the enjoying what we still have, such as it is. Not your exact words however.

It is hard to imagine our hunting opportunities will be any cheaper, in both effort and dollars, in the future.

This especially applies to any form of �Trophy Hunting�. Just the way it is and the way it has always been. Limited resource and increasing demand.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

I wouldnt say its always been like that....this buck was killed by my dad back in the early 60's. The rack layed on top of our garage outside for many years. When I was in junior high, I grabbed it and got it restored somewhat and eventually got it mounted.This buck would easily qualify for B&C even afetr being in the elements for a long time. Not too many people payed much attention to big stuff back then like they do now. I tried to give this buck back to dad after I got it mounted and he wasnt interested. He said in his younger days that he shot lots of buck like this and many he said were bigger...much bigger.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
A guy I know got a a UT Conservation Expo tag for a bighorn sheep tag; it cost him $5 to enter. The same tag sold at lottery for $58k. I wonder who will enjoy their hunt more?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Utah708

How would we measure who enjoyed their more? I hope both guys have a great hunt. smile

Pat,

My point was trophies in the future are going to cost more than they have in the past, in both sweat and treasure.

In the 60s very few guys had any idea about how the Boone and Crockett scoring system worked but now days a good percentage of hunter understand how deep forks on mulies affect score and how important the 3rds are on a big bull.

I think you dad�s deer is a great example of how hunters have changed over the years, to him it is just another buck but to me it could be the buck of a lifetime, and the trend is big trophies are much more in demand now than in the past.

I think it is safe to say big trophies will be more in demand in the future.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It boggles my mind that how deep the forks are on a buck matters so much to people, but I guess the world is full of people keeping score of everything from pedicures to the car one drives to the size of their peckers.

Not a shot at you or anyone here, John. Just an observation on humanity.

I sure hope that "trophyism" doesn't permeate the sport any deeper than it has already. It's poisonous IMHO.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Guess my bid of $265,001.00 never made it there in the mail...

darn it!!!

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jeff,

�Trophyism� only is a problem if you also want big trophies and wish there was less competition.

In my opinion a lot of hunting opportunities open up for guys who really just want to hunt and don�t care about horns. Getting access to hunt doe deer or antelope or even cow elk is pretty easy around here but if you want a big set of horns to go with your meat things change pretty quickly.

Seems like a lot of guys want to get the big horns but then complain because the increased demand they are a part of makes the cost go sky high.

If you really don�t care about trophies then I think the hunting is great and only going to get better and maybe cheaper. smile

If you want that big mulie (and you have said you are going to use some points for a good tag) then accept the fact quite a few other guys want it to and there is going to be some competition, of which you are a part, wink and most likely it will increase in the future.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Utah708

How would we measure who enjoyed their more? I hope both guys have a great hunt. smile

Pat,

My point was trophies in the future are going to cost more than they have in the past, in both sweat and treasure.

In the 60s very few guys had any idea about how the Boone and Crockett scoring system worked but now days a good percentage of hunter understand how deep forks on mulies affect score and how important the 3rds are on a big bull.

I think you dad�s deer is a great example of how hunters have changed over the years, to him it is just another buck but to me it could be the buck of a lifetime, and the trend is big trophies are much more in demand now than in the past.

I remember when I got back home from Idaho after killing my first B&C mule deer and drove over to dad's to let him have a look....the first thing he said "Geez, you drove all the way to Idaho just to hunt mule deer?" I handed him the antlers and all he could ask was how much meat I got off him....laffin! A 218" buck didnt mean as much to him as how he was going to "eat". It was a different era...

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Utah708

Pat,

I remember when I got back home from Idaho after killing my first B&C mule deer and drove over to dad's to let him have a look....the first thing he said "Geez, you drove all the way to Idaho just to hunt mule deer?" I handed him the antlers and all he could ask was how much meat I got off him....laffin! A 218" buck didnt mean as much to him as how he was going to "eat". It was a different era...

Your dad sounds like a man after my own heart. How many tender vittles will this critter make grin grin

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I've not problems with single tags being sold.... it does the state agencies a world of good monetary wise to be able to do more good... but I sure hope somewhere in there its limited to one tag for each species per year basically.

I like our state option better though... a grand tag so to speak, and its done by lottery tickets basically... for a few bucks anyone can have a shot at a 300K tag so to speak.... though I'm sure the lottery doesn't bring in as much.

As to whether its hunting or not, thats off topic and a can of worms... as long as its legal and you can sleep with yourself at night, I could care less....thats actually what ethics are.... your call at whats fair or not...as long as its legal.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And I thought the $85,000.00 winning bid for a Desert Bighorn Tag here was crazy high a couple of years back. Sounds like a bargin now, since I've shot a nice Mulie and haven't ever shot a Desert Bighorn. crazy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I dont care how much $$ a person has.
Thats STUPID.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by deg967
Thats STUPID.

Plus ONE.. as the old saying goes.. a fool and his money are quickly parted....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by navyman20
that is beyond rediculous!..id rather miss out on a few years of hunting that animal than spend money like that..my wife to be would kill me if i spent 1000$ on something w/o kissin some serious butt beforehand, how could that guy justify to his wife that he "needs to spends 265,000 to hunt a mule deer"?lol..somme people got more money than sense i guess

If you didn't have a wife you could probably afford a $265,000 tag grin

This isn't 'Nam Donny, there are RULES...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by deg967
Thats STUPID.

Plus ONE.. as the old saying goes.. a fool and his money are quickly parted....

Really? They were all in bidding processes, where at least two people bid for them. Eventually one person won each one, over howevermany else were bidding. It was a fair competetion amongst adults, in other words. Don't suspect that puts it in anyone else's business...

There are plenty of other tags at Mule Deer Foundation, Elk Foundation, and others that you can pay a (very) small price to enter the drawings. Friend of mine got one that way this time -- a grand event coming up this fall.

This has been going on for 20 or 30 years...it's nothing new. At the first RMEF national meeting I went to, in 1991, I watched a fellow who owned a string of magazines buy an elk hunt in AZ for over $300,000. That was a long time ago... smile.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sho' are some jealous dudes around the fire. That's a lotta bucks that will go a long ways to improving hunting for us poor folks.

Aim for the exit hole.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
It boggles my mind that how deep the forks are on a buck matters so much to people, but I guess the world is full of people keeping score of everything from pedicures to the car one drives to the size of their peckers.

Not a shot at you or anyone here, John. Just an observation on humanity.

I sure hope that "trophyism" doesn't permeate the sport any deeper than it has already. It's poisonous IMHO.

Jeff: Then why on earth would you bother with that special unit mule deer tag? There are a million places in the west that you can go and easily knock off a forkhorn...I'd back off and let someone pull the tag who will appreciated it.Just trying to understand the contradiction. confused

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep, I don't understand the frustration here...or should I say jealously. If a guy can afford that kind of $hit than more power to him. If I could afford it, I would do it DIY, but that's just me.

There is an almost an unlimited demand for some of the most coveted mulie tags in ID and MT (among other states), but truth be told, if it was just a drop in YOUR bucket, I'll bet that most everyone here would pay to do it at least once. Maybe not the whole 20 guys watching it all summer thing, but the hunt itself, which might be what the bidder has in mind. Who knows till it happens...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Just heard the auction tag to hunt mule deer on the Antelope Island State Park sold for $265,000.00!... crazy crazy

A fool and his money are soon parted....

I'm thinkin a fella who can afford to cut a quarter million dollar check for 'recreation' is probably not too big a fool. Likely all but the actual cost of the deer tag itself will be deductable, non-profit donations. It's not a hunt/shoot I'd enjoy much, but I won't condemn someone else who might.

At least the money is staying in the wildlife management end of things, hopefully.

Maybe Utah will drop their non-resident elk tag a few bucks now..............bwaaahaaaahaaaahaaaa

Black Cows Matter!
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

176 members (10Glocks, 1eyedmule, 160user, 2UP, 44mc, 3333vl, 14 invisible), 1,575 guests, and 962 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,779
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.