Hop To
#4968258 02/22/11
M
mike762 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with them? I bought a Colt/Umarex .22LR AR-15 last week for grins, and it's REALLY inaccurate. I'm talking 3" at 25 yards is a good group. This is with various ammunition.

I have a CLE .22 Match upper that I use with my Colt Service Rifle for practice, and it gets 1/2" or better at 50 yards with either Wolf Match Plus or Aguila SE. It's also heavy and has the damned Colt large pin, which makes it difficult to use with my other lowers.

My question is if anyone knows of a conversion or upper in .22 LR in the M4 style that is off the shelf and has decent accuracy?

I have been wary of the CMMG conversion because of the differences in bore diameter and fast twist rates of the uppers that I have, 1:7, 1:8 for the most part. If anyone has experience with them that they can relate IRT accuracy of that system, I sure would appreciate it. Thanks.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The only one i have heard good reports about is the Smith & Wesson, but haven't actually fired one.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Although the Colt is a great looking and appears to be a great made rifle, it is a disappointment. A friend of mine bought the only one in the store at the time, beating me to the purchase. I'm glad he did, it doesn't hold together well. When you open the receiver, the bolt latch will fall right out. There are some easy to lose internal parts as well. Don't get one of those unless you disassemble it in a bathtub...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
O
O
Hi Mike,

Been lurking here for some time and your post finally motivated me to get registered, so thanks!!

I bought a Sig 522 a couple of weeks back and it is one of the best gun purchases I have ever made. An absolute hoot to shoot, can keep going all day without breaking the bank and, addressing your question, much more accurate than I am. I put a Mueller scope on it and shoot mostly at a 25yrd indoor range. For ammo I have so far used the Winchester 555 value back from Walmart, as well as the cheap Remington (very dirty, won't buy again) from Walmart. This combo will shoot MOA (and most of the time much better than that) as long as I do my part, and I am not a very good shot. First group after sight in, from a front sandbag, no support in the back, was a 0.375.

Maybe I just got really lucky with mine, but I could not be more happy!

Cheers

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Spikes tactical with the Lothar barrel upgrade is an easy 1MOA or less at 50 yards with good ammo.

Buddy has the upgraded barrel, I don't.

Love them both.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.
IC B2

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have a S&W, they had troubles at first and made some changes. They run great now, I had to send mine in for the upgrades and it's the funnest 22 I've ever bought.

I first put an eo-thingy on it and was shooting pretty well at 50 yards. It no wears a leupold 1.5-5 and does pretty well with bulk ammo for accuracy, well enough that it beat out both my 10/22's and much more fun. I sold both the 10/22's.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Sig too but have not tried one of those.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I have a Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22... I absolutely love it.. So far I have fired approximately 1500-1800 rounds of mostly bulk pack .22 ammo and have not had the first problem. It is very accurate as well. I have no complaints and it is one of my favorite guns and really fun to shoot.

M
mike762 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks for the replies all. I'll have to do some more research into the new info.

I bought the Colt in order to cut ammo costs, and did the same with an Advantage Arms Glock conversion kit. The AA kit works very well, and is accurate too. I was hoping for the same with the Colt, but it's not to be.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I also have a S&W MP-15/22 and like it very much. In contrast to some other .22 AR clones, its controls and takedown procedure are identical to a "real" AR.

I have only used mine with an EOTECH and iron sights, but it seems at least as accurate as a typical 10/22. Mine is an early model and had the ejector problem that many of the first guns had, but S&W fixed it free and it runs like a champ now. I would expect no problems with a current production rifle.

My rifle did not have a flash hider on it and that bugged me, so I sent it off to Prototech to have an A2 flash hider installed. I understand that S&W supplies them with the FH now as standard equipment.

I ordered a set of rings to allow me to mount a 6x scope on it for tactical squirrel hunting.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 02/22/11.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
M
mike762 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
After looking at Spikes Tactical, I think that I'm going to go that route. It will hook right up to my standard lower so the trigger pull will be the same all the way around. Thanks for the advice.

IC B3

M
mike762 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by ocmagnum
Hi Mike,
Been lurking here for some time and your post finally motivated me to get registered, so thanks!!Cheers

Welcome aboard, and thanks for the information.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have a later S&W with the threaded muzzle. I'm shooting 10 shots of Wolf Match into an inch at 25yd with the irons and my old eyes. I'm expecting a lot better with a scope. I have an old SS 10/22 that'll keep up with that, and a blued one that isn't even close.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have a Model One upper that functions great and don't shoot for crap, had a dpms that shot great but difficult to get parts for when it broke. Russ

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Me and a friend of mine both bought the cmmg kits, he has a dpms M4, and I have a colt Hbar. He gets about a 1-1/2 group at 50 yards, and I get about 3 to 4 inches I think they are both 9 twists. Maybe the 22lr like the shorter barrel better, it's hard to say. You will find many mixed reviews on the subject, I think it might be kind of a crap shoot.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

221 members (1OntarioJim, 22kHornet, 06hunter59, 320090T, 257 roberts, 3dtestify, 21 invisible), 1,179 guests, and 963 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,093
Posts18,522,161
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.