Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I'm looking to make a DIY mule deer hunt this fall--can someone give me pointers on which states sell tags over the counter, and have a reasonable amount of public hunting land?
Would like to keep it within about 20 hours driving time from Louisiana, and want to shoot a buck and doe. Not necessarily looking for record book bucks.

Thanks.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
AFIK, all public land mule deer licenses in western states are distributed via random drawings. I am not aware of any that are available OTC anymore. Your best bet would be a private land hunt in New Mexico. If you can get permission to hunt from a landowner, the private land tags are OTC. However, New Mexico does not offer doe permits. Applications for public land deer hunts in NM are open until March 28th.

There may be other western states that give landowners transferable authorizations for mule deer licenses, but I am not familiar with them.

Go to http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/ for the New Mexico regulations. Hope this helps...

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks.

Anyone know the story on Nebraska?

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
mdv, Neb. is hampered by huge amounts of private land..like 2 percent of the state is public land..South Dak. may offer something, but if I were you, I would check Idaho..tags are on a first come first served deal..the very best area I think may be se Idaho and it is a draw..but you can just buy a deer license over the counter til they are gone..but I would get mine before I left..check the Idaho Game and Fish web site..

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
thanks, Wyo

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
South Dakota is by drawing as well. There would be some hunting in the Sandhills of Nebraska but it gets hunted hard. Wyoming may be your best bet with left over tags but know that most of the areas that are left are mainly private land.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can hook you up with a rancher in the panhandle of Texas that has some real good Mule deer on his place but not DIY

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Some of you Wyoming guys please chime in on this...............
The last time I hunted deer in Wyoming was about six years ago and I had a nonresident "General Area" license that was good in several contiguous game management units. I think I remember buying it OTC. Am I getting so old that my memory is failing?

There are no OTC deer licenses offered in Colorado.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I believe WY is draw only now for nonres. Although some units, not known for trophies, have very high draw rates for non res. I could be wrong.

Some units in ID still OTC for non res. It really pays to get out and scout though before season. Big country and low deer pops. I have seen some really nice deer in ID in unpopular units. Can buy an OTC gen deer tag in WA. There are some nice bucks, not a lot, in WA. Would have to come out and scout and get into the back country

I would go to ID. I think ND and SD are possible too for non res. pretty easy to draw a deer tag there

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why do you limit yourself to OTC? Why not, perhaps, find a draw with good odds?
You could go OTC if a couple of draws fail to hit.
And some areas have tags left over after the draw.

Most states have full statistics on their sites.

Campfire Pistolero x2

Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else. -Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Idaho general tags are OTC and since the price jump a few years ago they have not come anywhere near selling out...You can also order them online...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Love the fact that you are not necc looking for record book deer and an OTC tag.

Those years are long gone. LONG gone. Sad to say.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's not too late to apply to Montana, Wyoming or Colorado, all of which have good mule deer hunting in spots and tags aren't that hard to draw.
But yeah Nebraska is the first place that comes to mind for over the counter (with cap) tags for nonresidents. The Pine Ridge area has a fair bit of public land. They get picked over pretty well, but finding a 2 or 3 year old isn't impossible. Last I looked I think there's only 1 B&C entrant, but my book is kind of old.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

M
M
First post here.

I know it probably depends on the state ( up here its the provinces) but are most big game animals on draw? Sounds like its tough to pull a tag in some areas.

Up here in Alberta (-40 here today) all moose are on draw and depending on where you go mules will be draw, but whites are wide open, general tag province wide.

Where I am crown land is everywhere (private land as well), but finding down south private land isn't as much as a problem as is too many hunters for the amount of land available in a certain radius.

For reference, I'm about 17 hours north of the Canada / U.S. border.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nothing but drawings in Oregon. One can go over the counter in Idaho, but it's quite expensive.

1Minute
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Exbiologist: The Deer license in Montana for non-residents runs at about a 28% success rate currently!
And, its well OVER $500.00 now!
And, Montana is having just a killer of a winter in much of the states better Mule Deer range!
And, this killer winter comes AFTER Mule Deer numbers were way down from the norm in 2,010!
I would NOT apply as a hopeful non-resident Mule Deer Hunter in Montana for 2,011!
Best of luck to the original poster on his upcoming Mule Deer quest.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Yes they are all dead in Montana, weather got them all. The ones that survived are likely to be forked horns this season.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And, if the weather didn't get them then the trains did...oucha

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's what I heard in Wyoming, Colorado and Utah too. All dead. Winter killed a bunch, then wolverines, lynx and weasels and chupacabras ate the remainder.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
the mule deer in good habitat are fine,,eeven with the dam deep snow,,, shot 6 coyotes in the last 3 days, been watching several 165-175 class bucks besides numerous smaller bucks waiting for the horns to drop,,i hope it hurrys and warms up,,,,

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

54 members (14idaho, 3dtestify, 6mmCreedmoor, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 10 invisible), 1,665 guests, and 763 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,726
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.