-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I know this is not the classifieds, but thoguht this to be the logical place to put out this particular odd rifle and make folks aware of it. thanks for your indulgence.

Last week, sight unseen, I bought an "older" Savage bolt action rifle in 30/06 and has someone else pick it up for me. I was assuming that I was buying a model 110 or one of its derivatives and my intent was to get a donor action for a barrels test that I want I want to do and write an article about. Well, I got my new treasure today and have a gun that, despite going to hundreds of gun shows, perused many, many gun shops, and personally owning for at least a little while several hundreds of guns, have never seen an example of. It looks like an overgrown Savage model 23 and is called a Savage "SUPER SPORTER" with barrel marks saying "30/06 Springfield" and "high pressure steel, proof tested"

Mine has its original clip (OK, magazine....) in it and is solid without cracks and such that I can see. Only negative is that the buttplate was removed to accomodate a slip on recoil pad. Stock does not look to have been cut. Anyone have an original buttplate they can sell me in case I end up keeping this or to help me sell it? Not what I wanted or need, so I thought I would let you Savage guys know about it. Not sure what I am going to do with it, probably sell it or trade it off. Serial number is 111xx.

Any info or intel would be fun to know and have as well. THANKS

MARK

PS has a "made i USA Weaver Marksman steel tube 4x scope atop in Weaver rings. Duplex type reticle.

Last edited by safariman; 02/23/11.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
is it checkered with a peep sight? Would be a model 45 then. If not its a model 40.

Nice rifles from what I can tell but never owned one... came in 250, 300, 30-30 and 30-06. I really wish they would have made a lefty version!!!

I would think if you wanted to unload it, you could do so here.

Andrew
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Non checkered stock, and barrel mounted sights, but the rear sight has been replaced by a dovetail protector base and the bead is gone from the front sight. Bead tower is still there. A Model 40, eh? doesn't say that anywhere but I have no clue.

Yeah, I fgured that someone here is going to want this for thier collection or for maybe the only oldy moldy 30'06 Savage ever made.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The lack of checkering would make it a Model 40.

FWIW, the 40/45 Super Sporters in 30-06 had a reputation for excess headspace issues due to locking lug setback. Not sure how common this was, but it might be worth having the headspace checked before you shoot it.

JEff

PS - We Savage guys call a "bead tower" a "ramp". A Super Sporter would have had a ramp with a dovetail.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Well, this one has a ramp AND some kind of thing with two lumps on it on TOP of the ramp that holds a bead in place. Was trying to descripe it and differentiate that part from the ramp.

Any ideas of what this is worth? Anyone out here in 24hrcf Savageland need this for thier collection of Savage guns?

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Super Sporters are nice guns, but they don't bring a lot of money. A decent one with no problems (extra holes for scope mounting, etc) will sell for $300-$350.

Rod

Hunting FOR Savages, Hunting WITH Savages
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, since this one is missing its butplate, ( I will throw in the limbsaver slip over pad, though! smile ) but has a nice USA made Weaver scope in weaver mounts I guess I will start at $350.00 shipped and insured. Will entertain offers of less or trades etc. Really want another Kel Tech PMR30. Perhaps someone has a well used - even beat half to death- shooter grade model 99 they would trade me.

I know this is not the classifieds but thought this one might have special interest here so thought this the most logical place to put it out and make folks aware of its availability. Hope ya'll don't mind too much.

J
J
Saw this thread and had to hop on....I just purchased a 45 super sporter in 30-06 a couple weeks ago. Action is smoother than butter! The bore looks like new, still has the rear peep. Day after I picked it up I took it to the range (after a tear down, inspection, and cleaning). Loaded her up with some Hornady custom lites, and sent 4 rounds down range @100 yards. 1 1/2 inch high, 2 1/2 inch group shooting right handed (I'm a lefty, but I have become right eye dominant, so I'm teaching myself to go righty...after 38 years of shooting!).I figured for the first time shooting right handed (I did do a few practice rounds with a 22 bolt to try to get used to the change), but first time with the 30-06, I can't complain. Pretty happy with that kind of result with an 85 year old rifle, and no adjustments to where the previous owner zeroed it in! I think I will really enjoy it after a few more sessions. My mind wanders, as to how many years it has been since it was used to harvest a whitetail....hopefully this season I can take one with this beauty!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Slightly off topic, but several years ago a friend of mine was telling me that a guy he knew bought a Savage bolt action 250-3000 for $400. He figured he picked up a model 110 at that price, a few days later he saw the rifle and it was a very good condition Model 1920.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have heard that the 30-06 can develop headspace problems so staying with lighter loads might be a good Idea.

Enjoy!

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
This thread is 10 years old

GD.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
C
ctw Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
All threads are goood , right from the start and before. Who has the info from before?

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Ironic you saying it looks like a 23A. I've always called the Super Sporter the world's biggest 22.

PS - I was going to add that the whole rear locking case stretching issue could be held at bay by shooting "non-magnumized" 06 loads. But I still think they are neat little guns in the context of affordable rifles.

Last edited by S99VG; 07/31/20.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

J
J
99guy, whereabouts in central VA are you located? My wife's family's old homestead is near Roseland.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Welcome to the site. 99guy is a transplant from PA. The only reason he moved to VA was to get closer to my place in WV. Now he's closer to my place than I am. I'm right next to Lost River State park. Randy, 99guy, will be along shortly, I forget where he moved to.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1minute, 1Longbow, 1234, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 56 invisible), 2,432 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,425
Posts18,470,717
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.