Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yep, the test on Moly was a good test, BUT it didn't look at the right things...

There could be no harm in basically freezing a tube. The cost could be an issue though vs what you do get. Bit more barrel life, I"ll take that in a heartbeat.... the costs of working up a load, getting solid zero's and such.... its easier on me if the barrel lasts longer...Better machinability, no question there about advantages.

As to cryo after they are all ready to go, I can't see that as being needed.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
If you want longer barrel life it would seem that the salt bath Nitriding has proven itself.

So far I've had the process done on 3 barrels.

Last edited by SU35; 03/07/11.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
There's also starting to be evidence that Ultra Bore Coat can extend bore life somewhat.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For whatever it's worth, this is what Hart Barrels says on the subject....

" Does cryo-treating reduce stress in Hart Rifle Barrels?

Cryo-treating steel has been in practice for many years to reduce stress in metal, and is very effective in some metals. The Crucible Specialties , Inc. 416R stainless steel we use to manufacture barrels is virtually unaffected by cryo-treating. Crucible's metallurgist have advised us that cryo-treating has no effect on 416R stainless steel. We have also independently tested several barrels and have been unable to detect any difference in the steel. We offer this service, as several of our customers believe in it and feel it gives them a competitive edge. The final choice is yours as to whether you feel this service is necessary."

What about Moly coated bullets?

We do not recommend the use of moly bullets, as we have not seen an increase in accuracy or barrel life from using them. We have measured moly buildup up to .0005 for the first 2 - 3 inches in a barrel. We have not found a cleaning method that adequately removes the moly without potential damage to the barrel. If you elect to use moly bullets, we recommend that you contact the bullet manufacturer for details on the cleaning method they recommend

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I can't say that cryo ever hurt a Krieger. They choose to do it, and I don't dislike their barrels... thats all I have to say on that.

As to moly, I've shot as much moly as most, upwards of 20,000 rounds a year for years.... ain't no buildup thats hurt accuracy. It doesn't help accuracy, but it gives 2 things for sure that I desire, more rounds between cleanings, and the ability to get more speed for the same max pressure. All the time not harming accuracy or shortening barrel life. What more could one ask.

Of course some don't want that extra speed, but in competition, tiny fractions of an inch can be the difference between win and loss.

And there are those that like to clean evidently.... When we were shooting it was all I could do to load ammo for the next weekend.... shooting twice during the week and up to twice on a weekend, upwards of anywhere from 30 to 88 rounds per session, sometimes more working on issues..... you get tired of cleaning...

If I never cleaned anotehr bore in my life it would not be too soon.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
There are some barrel makers that feel cryo treating the steel BEFORE its machined makes a difference in bore smoothness. But the claim that cryo-ing a barrel after it's manufactured makes a big difference in accuracy, fouling, etc. has pretty much gone belly-up.

Yep, tried it with a blacksh*t barrel years ago. Big waste of money.

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kreiger used to double cryo their barrels, once before machining, and again after. 300 Below took them to court and it was ruled that the second treatment violated their patent.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rgrx1276
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
There are some barrel makers that feel cryo treating the steel BEFORE its machined makes a difference in bore smoothness. But the claim that cryo-ing a barrel after it's manufactured makes a big difference in accuracy, fouling, etc. has pretty much gone belly-up.

Yep, tried it with a blacksh*t barrel years ago. Big waste of money.

Had one blackstar barrel... still have it as a matter of fact. That tube was a hummer accuracy wise.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Mine took forever to provide any thing close to a good 600 yard group. Didn't last when it did and it was relegated to a tropy barrel upper after that.

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
LIke I said, mine was a sample of one.....

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cryo was stopped after the barrels formed a union and said it was a cruel practice.

The dems agreed, past legislation prohibiting the practice and the supreme court cited the treatment as a violation of the barrels rights.

JM

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Mine too Bro.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
At least you got use of it as a NTIT barrel.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (12344mag, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 257 roberts, 51 invisible), 1,869 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,281
Posts18,525,579
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.