Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rattler
the whole thing dont bug me so long as you dont claim its something it aint.....it aint hunting and your buying per inch but in the end, it aint different than shooting the beef steer for the freezer.....

I have no problem with shooting your own meat, either, but something tells me that's not what we're looking at, here. JMO, Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
in the end its no different, i want to shoot a buffalo but refuse to do a wild hunt, my knees and back are [bleep] and i aint packing one out, ill wind up shooting a ranch bison, have a full freezer, a skull for the wall and a hide....will it be a hunt? nope, not at all but sometimes you just want a freezer full of meat....dont see the shooting of the above elk and red stags as any different.....dont see why it should be illegal either, your shooting livestock is all.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rattler, the difference is that you're not going to pretend you're the last Great White Hunter...... FWIW, Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
cant stop that, know ppl that snipe whitetail off hay stacks that think they are great hunters cause they kill a buck every year but are completely lost if i take them out after mule deer and they have to spend the day glassing and stalking.......

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can't stop it, but we can sure make fun of the gullible ego trippers... wink Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yeah, no problem with it if yah call it what it is, expect chit if yah try to make it what it aint but either way i dont have a single problem with it legally speaking....your shooting livestock, not a wild animal and i dont have a problem with anyone shooting livestock.....thats basically what i was getting at....

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Dutch
Can't stop it, but we can sure make fun of the gullible ego trippers... wink Dutch.

In Australia, it is called "cheque book" hunting. Yeah, we spell it that way.

John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by DINK
Thats what a high fence and good feed will get you.

Dink

Amen brother. I'm not as smart as Salmonella, therefore........any lardass rich guy can kill one like that.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I would dearly love to take even a 400" bull, I just couldnt bring myself to do it this way,
Guess Im just retarded and behind times.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My 2 cents...... smile

Preserve or estate hunts are not for everyone but they still play a part in hunting. Some people for what ever reason find this type of harvest suitable for them or their kids.......It is their choice and they shouldn't be chastised for doing so. Nothing is going to waste, from meat to antlers! Any meat that might be left behind is donated to a food bank....and.....they really appreciate it when we arrive with a cooler full of much sought after venison!

Hunting the "Roar",
Mark Luce

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
since we live in the same state I'll chime in: if you want to run such an operation that's fine with me. it's unfortunately legal. however, we should be clear: it has nothing to do with hunting and everything to do with shooting animals. second, you further demean the whole notion of hunting when you refer to it as a "harvest". you harvest corn, you kill animals.

you continue to give the antis plenty of reason to keep screaming.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JS_LaCourse
since we live in the same state I'll chime in: if you want to run such an operation that's fine with me. it's unfortunately legal. however, we should be clear: it has nothing to do with hunting and everything to do with shooting animals. second, you further demean the whole notion of hunting when you refer to it as a "harvest". you harvest corn, you kill animals.

Call it what you want ,the results are the same..... a dead animal, killed either in the wild or in a preserve.

Do you really think an anti hunting proponent would think your killing a deer is any different just because you think it is the only ethical way to put venison in your freezer.

Remember...... they are anti hunters, no matter where you choose to hunt!

Hunting the "Roar",
Mark Luce

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The results are the same to a point; the end point being a dead animal. And I can certainly respect your willingness and desire to defend the business which feeds your family however, while the end point may be the same, let's not for a minute think shooting animals in a pen, excuse me, a preserve is the same as hunting wild animals with unrestricted movement.

I really believe if push came to shove hunting wild untrapped animals versus what you do would occupy two very distinct placed on the antis continuum.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I have no problem with kids or handicap people shooting game in a pen. In fact as soon as my boys are old enough I am going to let them shoot some hogs on a preserve here.

For a grown person with no disabilities shooting big game in a pen and think they have accomplished something is just them being foolish or wanting everyone to think they are "trophy hunters".

I shoot alot of tame birds with my birddogs. I have to to keep my birddogs in good shape. There is no doubt though that tame quail, pheasants or chuckers are nothing more than chickens that can fly a short distance.

Dink

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
+1 Dink

"To pick a rifle and bullet for use on game by muzzle energy alone is, at best, foolish...and can be dangerous to your own health..." Bill Steigers, April 23, 1980
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
There's more than feed involved. These are bred by experienced breeders who understand genetics. It's impossible to get this in the wild because of the odds of getting right sequence of matings for the desired result.

These are just cattle and a farmer has every right to harvest his cattle any way he wants to. If he can find a stooge willing to pay tens of thousands of dollars to shoot a cow in a pasture, more power to him. Just don't call it hunting.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
JS_LaCourse,

I don't think you understand the "antis". They are mentally ill and don't need a reason to scream.

I really believe if push came to shove hunting wild untrapped animals versus what you do would occupy two very distinct placed on the antis continuum.

You don't get it.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've held back from saying this on this forum for quite a while but I'm drunk enough now I'll say it. I worked on a farm like this a while back. People would come shoot elk from the 4 wheeler or side by side and would claim their prize. I would yank the ear tag out before pictures came. It was fun, but not totally for me.

I never once met a client who thought it was real hunting. Most were really old or handicapped. The rest addmittedly recognized it as nothing more than a cattle like operation. A money transaction. They didn't have a problem wth it and neither did I.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You dont get stags like that without a LOT of steroids, feed and genetics. These stags are monstrous freaks - no way in the wild even with the most optimum conditions would a wild red deer grow a head like that ever.
Overhere in NZ in February the roads fill up with stockstrucks with stags being trucked from the farms where they were handraised and sold to game estates at auction, where they are shot in April by (most prominantly) American and German trophy hunters. They pay a fortune for the taxidermy as well. The stags even have names like racehorses. It mostly happens outside of the hunting culture here in NZ, but more and more it is getting noticed because the operations are advertising on the net, and some hunters put there 'trophys' on websites and so forth. It's giving American hunters generally a bad name over here. They think all Yanks are like that...
Maybe these people think its real hunting - I dont know. Certainly the guides try to make out it is to them and walk them over the hills for four days before they take them to where the animal was the whole time. They get the client to shoot them quick lest the animal walk right up to them to get a bit of apple...
Dont pay money to go hunting in New Zealand. They make out you have to because of the chopper shooting, but its completely untrue. I am sad to see this kind of thing also going on over there.

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by CarlsenHighway
You dont get stags like that without a LOT of steroids, feed and genetics. These stags are monstrous freaks - no way in the wild even with the most optimum conditions would a wild red deer grow a head like that ever.
Overhere in NZ in February the roads fill up with stockstrucks with stags being trucked from the farms where they were handraised and sold to game estates at auction, where they are shot in April by (most prominantly) American and German trophy hunters. They pay a fortune for the taxidermy as well. The stags even have names like racehorses. It mostly happens outside of the hunting culture here in NZ, but more and more it is getting noticed because the operations are advertising on the net, and some hunters put there 'trophys' on websites and so forth. It's giving American hunters generally a bad name over here. They think all Yanks are like that...
Maybe these people think its real hunting - I dont know. Certainly the guides try to make out it is to them and walk them over the hills for four days before they take them to where the animal was the whole time. They get the client to shoot them quick lest the animal walk right up to them to get a bit of apple...
Dont pay money to go hunting in New Zealand. They make out you have to because of the chopper shooting, but its completely untrue. I am sad to see this kind of thing also going on over there.

Sad but true.

My first Red was probably the hardest hunt I ever experienced. No monster at all, but a cherished trophy for me. I have been on other hunts that were considerably easier but still free range, which is as it should be.

John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (219DW, 219 Wasp, 160user, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1badf350, 66 invisible), 2,426 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,187
Posts18,503,347
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.