Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
This is a nice simple one that is a family tradition from my moms side.
I was thinking that I should have taken July because we enjoy these the best when the fresh corn is in during the summer, but March works because it is sugaring time in New England.

The base is any pancake batter.

I like to make my own,

1 1\2 cups all purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1\2 cup milk
1 egg
3 tablespoons butter

Mix the dry ingredients and then add the egg and milk. Mix in the butter melted. For this dish a more runny mix is OK.

In the summer we always cook more corn than needed for dinner (Boiled shucked or Grilled with husk on and tassels removed). The extra is cut off the cob and saved for the next days breakfast. This corn is mixed in a bowl with the batter (Just enough batter to hold the corn together) and fried in a buttered skillet till golden brown. The Idea is to just stick the corn together enough so it can be flipped when one side is done. The result is served with warm Maple Syrup.

Now the part that matters. This tradition is not set in stone. I make them with canned corn and Bisquick if that is all that is in camp, and if all you have is Aunt Jimima corn syrup enjoy. Not expensive or hard to find items, but a favorite in my house on a Saturday or Sunday morning for sure. If you have a load of fresh silver queen sweet corn and a nice sample of medium amber maple syrup it is a Home Run. A great way to start off the morning before a big work project or fishing trip. My kids always ask for more.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice recipe. My family makes savory pancakes with squash flowers every summer and we put sweet corn after the flowers run out. I haven't seen Silver Queen corn here in 2 or 3 summers. I like it too. It's going to have to be Bird's Eye for now.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Down here at the other end of the world my Grandma called them corn fritters. Maple syrup being rare down here in the old days we made do with ribbon cane. grin

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My wife is going to skin me when I make this. She makes corn and ham fritters but it is a convoluted process of separating eggs, whipping whites etc etc and takes an hour or two to get grub on the plates.

If this is as good as you say, I will get happy far more often with this recipe.

Saturday morning for sure.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
A nice, tall stack of these corn pancaked, well buttered, and served covered with warm maple syrup sounds like a bit of heaven. Thanks for sharing.

μολὼν λαβέ
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Boggy Creek Ranger
Down here at the other end of the world my Grandma called them corn fritters. Maple syrup being rare down here in the old days we made do with ribbon cane. grin

BCR

I didn't grow up in Texas, but we called them corn fritters too.

They're not just for breakfast anymore!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
B
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I remember the term corn fritter being used but as kids we called them corn pancakes once we started helping making them.
I think of a fritter as having clams in it and it getting deep fried in a ball shape.
There is a company in RI that makes a batter mix called fish chick that is the standard over here for a good clam fritter.
That ribbon cane sure sounds good. When in Texas, do as Texas does.

How many squash flowers go in? That is something I have never heard about.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We put quite a few flowers. We pick them in the morning before they open and the bees get in them and rip them into small pieces and put them in the batter. We call them squash flower patties. For about 4 cups of batter, we'll use a dozen big flowers. Zucchini flowers taste best, by the way.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
visiting friends, thought it would be a great time to try out the recipe, here on a rainy morning. turned out great, received a "pretty damned good" and a "wowee!"

here's the cronicle....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a146/24quarts/Food/IMG_0077.jpg[/img]

My Next Husband Will Be Normal- T. Shirt
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
musk melon rule's!!! love that stuff..good job! miss t

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
musk melon does rule, i love it! this, however is a fresh papaya, right off my friends' tree! smile

My Next Husband Will Be Normal- T. Shirt
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
musk melons are quite a bit bigger right?

Andrew
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
(my foot taste good!ps;need to trim my nails)I miised "the backround" thur all my drool :Q

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You always make everything look so nice. You had the tenderloin with the greens and strawberries, now this. You should be a food stylist. I even want to buy a ham now!

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
How is this project going so far? Are all participants making each of the recipes?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think so Hawkeye. MissT puts up the nicest photos like RobP stated. So far this project has netted some fine recipes.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
MissTreated

Points for presentation!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks great.

Last edited by chris_c; 03/05/11.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by chris_c
MissTreated

Points for presentation!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks great.
Sure does.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My family loves corn cakes which I make using equal parts flour and corn meal.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I made your corn pancakes today. Twice!

For lunch, and later, for guys cutting wood down the rod and gun club. I also fried up a couple pounds of bacon.

Making lunch for the family, I made the recipe with skim milk, which was on hand. The batter looked a little thin and I wound up adding another quarter cup of flour. I used a whole steam fresh bag of corn. The pancakes are light and fluffy, nice. I made them for the guys with whole milk and did not need to add any extra flour. The pancakes came a little bit crispy and I think they were better that way.

Use whole milk.

The six of us at home and the bunch at the club enjoyed the pancakes. A couple guys ate them without syrup first. Everyone finally put a butter pat and syrup on them. My best friend was there and I gave him the recipe. He makes his little daughter pancakes and thinks she'll like them. I'm going to look for niblet corn (baby corn) and try again. When real corn comes out, I'm going enjoy this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

423 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 06hunter59, 163bc, 1Longbow, 39 invisible), 2,039 guests, and 1,131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,541
Posts18,531,282
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.