Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Rolly Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I ran into a problem that I have not encountered until just recently. Thought perhaps I could get a little help on this thread.

Previously, I had noticed and read about shoulder dents caused because of using excess lube during resizing. Recently, in resizing a bunch of 257 AI cases I couldn't stop the old brass from denting. It didn't seem to matter how much or little lube I had on the case. Any idea what happened ? The resizing die hasn't been changed. The chamber is the same. The load is the same, etc. The only change I can think of is that the brass is getting old and perhaps it has changed somewhat. I trim my brass after re-sizing and I didn't notice any unusually lengthening there either. I have not tried the dented cases in the rifle chamber yet. That might tell me more.

I plan on shooting the dented cases just as normal because from my previous experience with a few dented cases and from what I've read, the dents shouldn't cause any problem.

Anybody got any ideas or advice what might have happened to cause the dents?

Rolly
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My guess is you have excess lube in the die it self. Try cleaning the die then run a case through it.

Whelen

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Clean the die and try again. The lube can build up in the die and collect at the shoulder denting otherwise lightly lubed cases, it doesn`t take much to cause a dent. I`d also check the vent hole in your die if it has one it could be plugged also, I had a die that you could watch the lube "breath" in the vent, going out of the die body when the case went passed it and sucking back in when it was withdrawn. Needless to say the die was in bad need of cleaning and did cause some minor dents. I did wipe the interior of the die and thought I had the problem fixed, I didn`t that`s when I found the vent was plugged and feeding more lube to the body.

I must confess, I was born at a very early age. --Groucho Marx

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when they deserve it. --Mark Twain
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
brake cleaner applied liberally into the die body, then wipe it dry and try again.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
1. Take the die apart and clean it.
2. Get yourself some spray-on RCBS case lube. Since using the spray stuff, I have had zero case dents after thousands of handloads.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
IC B2

Rolly Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks to all for the tips. I'll check the die vent and clean the die of excess lube. I'll bet one of those tips do the trick. Thanks again.

Rolly
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've found the same as Ol' Joe, the vent may be the problem. Clean that and the inside of the die, and I'd bet the dents depart.

Model 600s in 308 Win and 6mm Rem, nuther one rebarreled to 22-250, matched pair of Model 660's in 6.5mm Rem Mag and 350 Rem Mag, NEED a 660 in 222.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

275 members (12344mag, 1lessdog, 160user, 257 roberts, 10Glocks, 2UP, 30 invisible), 1,765 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,750
Posts18,495,296
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.