Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I grew up on a small Island in southern Puget Sound, except for the 10 years in SE Alaska, and the 13 years here along the shores of Hood Canal I lived there about half my life. This area was a farming community until the city folks found it. On the map it is know as Grapeview.
<br>My grandfather bought a vinyard in the early twentys or late teens and proceeded to raise grapes. Ole gramps was the inventor of the drive up window. His house, beautiful large farm house has a circular drive. You drive in one driveway and out the other. Gramps would have several bottles of his wine sitting along side the door and go out to greet his customers and return with a small bit of cash in hand. Kinda like todays crack houses. Gramps also had his special stock he did not keep it by the door but rather out in the tractor shed. he also kept his still there.
<br>When I grew old enough to help with the harvest of the grapes and the wine making my folks had moved to Alaska and I missed out. We moved back to the farm in 69 and took up the family tradition, well sort of. Gramps was in his late 80's and my dad would rather drink the product than produce it. Another tradition lost.
<br>I dabbled in wine making, most of which would have made a good engine degreaser. On occasion I got it rite. I tried brewing beer with even less succuss than my wine making endevor. Over the years I found almost all the parts of the old mans still, It looks kinda cool, some day it adorn a wall of my shop.
<br>So have any of you folks made your own? Have any great tales to tell? Names can be with held to protect the innocent.
<br>
<br>Bullwnkl.

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bully (hope you don't mind that it saves a few keystrokes) I, too have tried to make wine and beer and made pretty good paint stripper. I won't say any thing about mash and copper worms other than to briefly note that at one time the upstairs room of the Leon County jail held the world's largest collection of busted stills. Had one guy here that was world famous back in prohibition days as a wholesaler. The last known bootleger that made his own died last spring at about 90 years old. Alf made good stuff and it would not make you go blind.
<br>My dad could make wine. He made two kinds. Blackberry in the spring and muscadine in the fall. Never sold any that I remember or know about. Just made it for home use and to give away.
<br>One story, when I was a long yearling Dad made a run of black berry that was exceptional. I was born Methodist and you know methodists are supposed to be tea totalers. Communion Sunday Pop substituted a bottle of his Blackberry wine for the Welch's grape juice normally used. He could do this because his mother always fixed the communion tray.
<br>First call for communion and the partakers lined the altar rail. The cups were passed. You could see those prayerfull heads snap up, you could hear those lips smacking and when the first bunch went back you could hear the whispers running through the congregation. [Linked Image] Communion celebrants were actually elbowing one another out of the way to get to the alter rail. One old boy went back for communion three times. [Linked Image] Mother and some of the good sisters were scandalized of course [Linked Image] but most of the male members wanted Pop to be perminent communion steward. [Linked Image]
<br>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
Great story! One thing that is very "tasty" is to make home made apple sauce (about two quarts), then put it on the stove on a low heat for a little while, and let it get real thick. Add 3-4 TBSP sugar and a "little bit" of brandy. Keep on stove for another 5 minutes, then put in frige. In 3-4 days that is a great late night "snack".

I have been making wine for over 25 years, so I have quite a bit of experience in wine making. I have made it from blueberries (I'm told this is my best), blackberries, grapes, rasins, pears, apples, peaches, dandilions, parsley, rice, various grapes from Californis, cherries, etc., etc. In all this time, I have only had a few bottle that went bad on me. Two years ago I made 1,000 bottles, just as a goal. If I can help anyone, in making wine, e-mail me (dennisreedaol.com). Remember that the most important ingredient in making wine is PATIENCE. Good luck. DGR

DGR
pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
DG, My father in law died a couple of years ago and his wine making method died with him. My wife and I would like to resurect the family tradition. In the family is a small vineyard with light and dark grapes. The vines are over 100 years old and were imported from Portugal. I'm going to have these grapes identified this summer. My question is: can you point me to some good sources where I can begin? Thanks in advance.pak

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (222ND, 219DW, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 204guy, 1beaver_shooter, 65 invisible), 2,649 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,480
Posts18,529,651
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.