Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
stokker Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I am in the market for a rangefinder and I was looking at these 2, I was wondering which one is the best and what the max yardage I could expect to range deer sized animals.

Thanks
Scott

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd worry less about how far each ranges, and research after-market warranty service. I'd also include the Swarovski LRF in your thinking...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Brad brings up a good point, I think Zeiss has a 2 year warranty but I'm not positive.

I haven't used the new Leica but have a Zeiss PRF. In ideal conditions(with a good steady hold) it will zap dirt out to 1400-1500 yards(3x farther than I need).
You don't really need to hold right on a critter, just range the ground nearby and you should be within 10 yards. If you have time take several readings...
If little hills/rises are inbetween you and the target be careful as the laser might read them and give a false reading.
That takes a unique circumstance but it is possible.

Nice thing about the PRF is it's fast on anything within 1000 yards. It also works well if it's raining or snowing. I will almost guarantee that it will give a reading out to 600 under any conditions. If you can see the target through falling snow it's gonna work.

S
stokker Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
The Zeiss is a one button push instrument in addition to all of its other features.

Push and the reticle shows - let go and the range shows.

Lost easier than holind on through one push to turn on the reticle and then push again for the reading.

Sealed the deal for me.

And the optics are at least the equal of all of the others - which I have owned - but have sent down the road.

Only downside is that the Zeiss is not dainty...

I got mine from Doug at Cameraland...free shipping...

Roger

NRA Life

CRPA Life
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I was able to snag one of the first Leica 1600's sold from Cableas. The unit it replaced, a Bushnell 400 was the size of a small pair of 8x30 binos. That certainly was a plus. But the ballistic program (uphill/downhill) is too diffcult for this caveman to figure out, and its only good for 300 yards. I would purchase it again, as its easy to carry, and it ranges much farther than I'll ever shoot. But I didn't need all the extra computer programing (temp, altitude, etc.) that went with it. I thought it would be nice to have, and for me its wasted. On a soft target (elk) I got a reading of 750 yards, which was as far as I could see where I hunted.

Last edited by Lee_Woiteshek; 03/05/11.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Since this is drawing some attention to quality LRF's:
Maybe I should start a new thread, but has anyone done a comparison of the ranging ability of the Zeiss bino/LRF versus the Saro LRF?
I have a Swaro, and it is really good.
It hands down beats any Leica I have put against it.

If the Zeiss set-up is as good as the swaro, then I will save my pennies and get it then sell my Swaro LRF.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
S
stokker Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks for the replies

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 68 invisible), 2,494 guests, and 1,343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,446
Posts18,470,969
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.